What TS Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by staybobo, Apr 30, 2016.

1. staybobo

staybobo Member

What TS pedal(s) should I look into? I'm currently looking at the SD 805 OD, Wampler Clarksdale, Maxon OD808, Maxon OD808X, Fulltone Full-Drive2 Mosfet, & Fulltone Full-Drive3.

2. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Have you checked out Rimrock's "PT Drive"? By far the most versatile version of a TS I've ever tried!

You can select from;
    -two different clipping diodes, plus a "lift" option for no didoes [opamp only]
    -global EQ switch - standard, dark or bright [makes the versatility of the tone knob astronomical]
    -9v OR 18v operation for adding headroom
    -minimum drive setting is cleaner than a standard TS, maximum is way more than a normal TS

Each one is hand built one at a time. I use mine quite frequently, for everything from "just breaking up" grit to solo boost to mean rhythm drive. Witht eh EQ Switch and tone knob you can make this fit well with ANY amplifier. Check it out!

http://www.rimrockeffects.com/store/p8/PT_Drive.html

[​IMG]

pete12string and sanfi4u like this.
  3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i love the drivetrain circuit- can be found cheap, but sounds amazing

4. jnam

jnam Member

I'd look into the VFE Ice Scream, EQD Dunes/Palisades, or a modded TS808/TS9 if you're searching for highly variable tubescreamers with several degrees of control. If you're looking to save space, and don't need that much more than a set-and-forget mid-boost, the Ibanez TS Mini has the original JRC4558d chip and sounds wonderful.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

ON a budget? Buy a used reissue TS9 off ebay, change two resistors and the chip, and you have an 808 that you couldn't tell from my '79.

Maxon OD808 is very cool also if you can get into one cheap.

Few more bucks? Hunt down an older Fulldrive 2: pre-MOSFET, either non-flat mids or with the "vintage" switch. Creamy goodness.

59Vampire likes this.
  6. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

TS9 with true vintage mod from Analogman. All work is done for you

7. HughesP

HughesP Member

It is worth checking out the EHX east river drive. They worked with analog man to get things right and after shooting it out in store with a bunch of current TS pedals, the east river drive just had "it".

It has the right chip, old school blue stripe diodes (which most reissues/clines don't have) and a special tapered tone knob that not all clones have... Little details, but it just seems to work.

It isn't the "coolest" one out there, but it sounds great and still has some bragging rights because of Analogman's involvement.

8. DCMC Worship

DCMC Worship Member

Modest Mike's " Mean A**" mod makes a stock TS9 sound just marvelous! Bass and clipping boost, among the multitude of mods he does, gives it the sound it should have always been. I did pickup a Signa drive today but played a worship night so I'll be taking for a test drive tomorrow.

[​IMG]

9. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Check out the VFE Pale Horse too. Unusually flexible and very good sounding. It has front panel controls for several parameters that other TS pedals use a fixed value for. But I think they won't be making it in its present form for too much longer; it seems VFE is changing all their pedals to a smaller format that won't allow batteries.

10. NielsM

NielsM Member

If you're looking for a budget TS then I'd go with the Maxon OD808. But if you really want to knock it out of the park, buy a Maxon OD820. It kicked my OD808 of the board.

11. Serenity

Serenity Member

12. Stephans

Stephans Member

What do you want to do with it?
    Use it as standalone (TS808), or boosting a overdrive (TS9), A-symmetrical clipping (Fulldrive2, Boss SD1), boutique etc.?

13. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a few tubescreamers, including an original TS808. The Mooer Green Mile is a really good, cheap option. My favourite though was the Fulldrive II Mosfet.

14. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

If you're using it as a stand-alone I would go with a Visual Sound Rt-808 (no longer made, but you can get them ultra-cheap, used), MXR Custom Badass Modified OD, or Keeley Red Dirt. I would also include the Rook, but I felt it didn't have enough output on the level knob. I also like the WH Green Rhyno and Sparkle Drive MOD.

If you're boosting an OD or amp, I would go with any stock TS-9 that has the correct JRC chip (but, then again I've had success with versions that used different chips too). The TS mini is good. The EHX East River drive is great too - and cheap. Chicago Stompworks makes an awesome TS clone with the correct chip.

15. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

The EQD Dunes is really great. I also have a Basic Audio 808 that kicks ass. Another option would be the new MJM Luxora overdrive. I haven't tried the Luxora, but I have an MJM Blues Devil which is fantastic.

16. bigjon

bigjon Member

Of the ones you've listed I'd go for the Clarksdale. But given a free rein I'd be looking at the EQD Palisades - options enough to keep me tweaking for days.

17. Rai

Rai Member

EQD Palisades or Dunes

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Pale Horse does everything I need out of a 808 type circuit, with extra controls he throws in, have yet to find a amp/speaker or guitar that couldn't be dialed in for. Fatter/thicker, tighter/more focused and open, sound you want is in there somewhere.

sanfi4u likes this.
  19. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I have a stock ts9 I love, whoever made it must have been having a good day.

I also love any fulldrive, maxon 808, hbe power screamer if you can find one, or barber gain changer (not sure how authentic it is)

20. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I'm really interested in the Pale Horse, and the Boiling Point still sounds great (super articulate) and is CRAZY dynamic in the Boost mode. -E