What tube amp's reverb would you base a stand-alone unit on?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by infiniteposse, Aug 26, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Hi all-

I'm speaking to my friend Bryan Sours of Soursound amps about designing and building me a stand-alone tube reverb. I've got several smaller amps without reverb and I really do love my verb, so I'd like an external unit to mix and match with other amps. Setting aside that there are some commercial units available (Fender RI, Matchless, etc...), what amp's verb would you most like to see in a stand-alone format?

Bryan mentioned older Ampeg's verbs as being a point of reference he really liked and I have a 63 Gibson Falcon with reverb that's amazing. I'm just curious to hear what other might want in this format as we think over potential design ideas.

Also, what controls would you like to see on this kind of device? Are the standard Fender reverb unit's controls enough? Is there a particular feature you've used on other units that just blows you away or that seems like it would be cool if it could be implemented? Any particular inputs and outputs that would be handy?

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

2. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

The Hughes and Kettner Statesman has the best reverb I've heard in a lonng time.

3. mild

mild Member

I'd love to see a stand-alone version of the /13 FTR37's reverb.

And the Bruno UG30, from what I've heard...

4. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Any other suggestions?

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that Bruno's reverbs are highly refined versions of the Fender style reverb. As far as I know, the Fender, Ampeg, Gibson and Magnatone reverb structures just about cover the field, and while I like Gibson/Magnatone I'd probably go for Ampeg first or Fender second. As to controls, I'd love to have a bit more EQ control-so Drive, Mix, and Bass/Middle/Treble would be cool. Of course, you could buy a Peavey Valverb and have all this right now...

7. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Thanks Dr Bob-

I'd never hard of the Peavey's actually. Looks interesting. I also found a schematic online, so I forwarded that on to Bryan. I've not played with an Ampeg's verb personally. Is there any way to describe how it differs from the sound of a Fender verb?

8. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Twin Reverb, or even better Fender's outboard reverb.

9. takakat

takakat Member

Silverface Twin Reverb

10. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I agree with Bryan, the best built in reverb I ever heard was on an old Ampeg Echo Twin I used to own :drool

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

The Ampeg Gemini VI I had - luscious reverb, really amazing.

12. blood5150

blood5150 Member

+10000

13. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

My first choice would be the Ampeg reverb as used in the Reverborocket and Gemini series, and my second choice would be what I call the "insane asylum reverb" from the Gibson Falcon or other tweed/brown Crestline amps, except adapted to 12AX7s, I wouldn't want a new unit to use 6EU7s, 6C4s, 6CG7s, or the like unless there was a clear tonal reason to do so.

I've never needed more than one knob of control for reverb in a guitar rig. But I would not be against having both treble roll off and bass roll off knobs in addition to a mix or depth knob. I would probably prefer that the bass roll off was in the circuit before the tank and the treble roll off was after the tank.

14. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

That's definitely the optimal configuration