What tube for Carr Mercury?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ilari, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ilari

ilari Member

Hi,

I´m going to be buying a used Carr Mercury, that has a Groove Tubes EL34 in it. I´m thinking of replacing that tube with a JJ KT66. Has anyone got any experience on how the amps character will change once I do it?

Also, are there any other choises for tubes with this amp? I think I´m looking for maximum clean headroom, because I have pedals for overdriven moments. I know that a 6L6 will probably give me the most headroom, but I´m really not that fond of them, hence the KT66.

Thanks...

2. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

The amp originally came with KT66s, so as long as you find a good one, it should sound great. I'd talk with Steve about it and see what he recommends.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I had both in the Merc I sold. IT was definetley grittier and broke up sooner with the el34, but then you can adjust the bias. I like the KT-66 better tonewise.

4. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

Mine came with a KT66 that I pulled after a couple of days. Too much mid-range and not enough harmonic content. At Steve's recommendation, I tried a RCA 6L6 blackplate. Heavenly! Tremendous harmonic content, surprisingly good at the edge of breakup, a great pedal platform. Worth a try, if you can borrow one, even if you don't generally like 6L6's.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    KT66s are in the 6L6 family so you may not like them. Or, your experience with 6L6s might be limited and you might like them;) Only one way to find out.:drink

6. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

I put an old Mullard el-34 in mine...huge improvement. Rich complex tones now.