What tube is this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MesieBooga, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

ECC83 is a 12AX7
    CV4004 is a 12AT7

I don't know what the other one is.

2. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Actually, a CV4004 is a military 12AX7, that may be a miltiary Brimar.

A CV4024 is a 12AT7

3. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

Thanks, but I mean the pictures with Links. They are all the same tube.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

This is a joke right? You put four blurry pictures so big they don't fit on my 27 inch monitor and someone is supposed to guess what tube it is? What do we get if we win?

5. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Be nice...:rolleyes: ...It looks like a military 12AX7, then. 908SSP, maybe you should stand back from your 27 inch monitor and squint a little...:)

6. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Woops!! Sorry Doug

7. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

Thanks guys. :BluesBros I thought I had a Mullard in V1 of my Herbert and after I pulled it out I wasn't sure. Thought maybe someone here would know. I really like the tube and would like to find another for a spare.

8. Dai H.

Dai H. Member

I also think it looks like a Brimar. The half-flange anode one. I like those.

9. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

That sounds like it.:AOK Does this tube have a "name" besides
    Brimar CV4004 12ax7?

10. Dai H.

Dai H. Member

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask. It's a 12AX7, which must mean that it fits certain dimensions, pin-outs, electrical parameters, gain, etc. in general like a 4558 opamp is a 4558 basically. Do you mean does it have a special moniker like "The Brimar Big Bertha model 12AX7", or? I haven't looked in a while but it did seem that these were still available at tube vendors. I have a couple, and they had cool mids as I recall.

11. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

Thanks for the reply. I just don't want to go buy a Brimar 12ax7 and hope it's the same one- unless all Brimars are like this. This is what I don't know...:jo

12. Dai H.

Dai H. Member

right, okay. Well make sure you can see the tube (so you know it's the same thing) before you buy it at whichever vendor you choose. Keep in mind that some may have different markings/branding but it's the tube itself that is the important thing. And shop around for the best price.

p.s. the "regular", or hmm I guess more common variety Brimar 12AX7 looks physically different inside.

13. Dai H.

Dai H. Member

hold on a sec', sry if I misunderstood you, but I guess you were basically trying to ask what should you ask for at a tube vendor? "Brimar CV4004" seems to be what people call this tube in the popular vernacular (probably to differentiate it from "Brimar 12AX7/ECC83" for the regular Brimar with the flange on both sides of the plate), BUT again, make sure you can see the tube in question so there is no confusion. The gtr. amp familiar tube vendors should be able to figure out what you want with these descriptions, but it's conceivable that you'll get something else if you buy a "Brimar CV4004" from someone else. (I guess I was confused because "Brimar CV4004" had already been mentioned.)