1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What Tube power Amps do you like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robbph37, Oct 10, 2006.

1. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I am searching for a Tube power amp to use with my Rocktron Phophesy pre-amp. I need some suggestions from those who have used different brands.

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I've used a Peavey 50/50. They can be had for around $300 or maybe even a little less on eBay.

3. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I also have a Peavey Classic 50/50 along with a Rock Master preamp.

Pros: Lots of EL84 power and body, sounds great, a deafening 50Watts stereo or 100 bridged mono (forget about power tube sautration unless your're playing Disaster Area shows or use an attenuator), more back panel connections than you'll likely have use for, front panel Level, Resonance & Presence for each channel, built like an anvil, reliable, inexpensive on the used market and fairly easy to find.

Cons: Heavy (but probably all similar amps are too), uses a loud fan (could be easily modded with a switch for studio use).

There's also the older and maybe a bit harder to find Peavey Classic 60/60 which is 6L6-based.

4. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

Always loved the tone of the old Strategy series Mesa Poweramps.

VHT is great too.

For not a lot of dough, the Peavey is really well done too.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

6. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I own a Mesa 2:90, and it's a very toneful power amp. It doesn't do Class A like the Strategy, (it does both A and AB) but to my ears Simul Class is sweet.

7. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I also had a 2:90 for a while. Great amp.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Let's see:
    GT Dual 75: Lot's of tone possibilities since you can use any power tube from EL84 (with YJs) to KT88s, 15-75+ WPC (although you do have to open it up to rebias). Sort of a classic sound. BIGGGG: uses at least 4 rackspaces and heavy. cheap to retube.

Peavey Classic (50/50, 60/60, mono 60)-slight differences due to EL84s vs 6L6s but they share decent weight, very good price point used, good classic sound. Bang for the buck winners.

Mesa (20/20, 50/50, 2:90 etc)-more modern attack, heavy, expensive to tube and costly. Bang for buck, I favor the Simul 2:90-with the footswitchable attack and EQ you can get a lot of good sounds out of it. In a pinch it can do duty as a very credible PA or Bass amp (I've used it with a GT Bass preamp with very good results into an Avatar cab). Currently my go-to tube amp.

The Soul-o Satellite is another cool idea, that I wish would have been implemented slightly differently. It only has one open rackspace, so it'll give you room for your preamp, not outboard effects. That said, it's got a great clean tone on it's own, lots of punch in a nice small space (although it's damn heavy!).

Another thing to consider is the Crate Powerblock. It's not quite as smooth or punchy as a real tube amp, but if money's an issue, $99 is pretty hard to beat. My current stable is one of these for smaller, lighter gigs (with a Sansamp PSA or Classic as preamp) and the Mesa for bigger venues.

9. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Thanks for all the input. I currently have a Mesa Lonestar Special that I love but it is way too heavy to drag around 2 or 3 times a week. My back is not good so I have to be careful. VHT is to rich for me. I may search for the Mesa line. Does anyone have any experience with the Carvin TS100?

10. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Mesa 20/20 is one of the best I've ever heard. I liked the 2:90, but would never have used that kind of power.

Don't scoff, but I had decent experience with an old Marshall Valvestate 80 too.

11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

And how do you like that Prophesy? I flirted with that idea too as a second/studio rig.

12. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I always thought that the Peavey Classic 120/120 was one of the best tube power amps ever built but...they weigh a frickin ton and I guess they were too expensive for peavey to build and meet the price point they wanted them at??

13. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Have not receivd it yet. I stepped out on a limb and bought one because a friend swears by it with the Carvin TS100. It looks cool with lots of options but will it be warm and not digitized? We will see!

14. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I tried four different ones in my rack back in the 80's, and the Mesa Simul 2:90 was my fav by a long shot.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I run a Classic 50/50 with a Rockmaster also.. Had it since new. As others point out with 3 decent size trannies its heavy. For the money you cant beat the tone though. Sometimes when I want a little less power I run only one side for 50 watts mono.:cool: I like EL84's. Always seemed a bit smoother than thier bigger brothers the EL34.

16. shooto

shooto Member

I LOVE the Classic 50/50 w/Rockmaster setup....AWESOME tone...I miss that rig...