What tube replacements for your Shiva head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RSRD, Nov 27, 2005.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

I'm going to get some new tubes for my Bogner Shiva head. Anyone try out different tubes on their shiva? if so what were the tonal results?

BTW, what tubes are stock in a shiva?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

2. dave s

dave s Member

Mine came with Ruby branded Chinese EL34s. I swapped in a bunch and none sounded better than the stock Ruby EL34s.

Go figure.

dave

3. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

for output tubes they recommend SED winged C EL34"s .Thats all I've ever used but have had good luck with them and like the way that they sound as for preamp tubes I know that the amp was voiced to use chinese 12ax7's . But I like the 12ax7EH in mine but it all depends on your tastes.
    Rob

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Bogner blasts the plate voltages with about 515 volts. One of the only power tubes that can handle this is the Svetlana winged-C EL-34. Be careful with putting anything else in there. As far as preamp goes, Chinese 12AX7s are recommended because, again, they can sound great while working very hard. There isn't a whole lot of wiggle room with the Shiva and tubes, unfortunately.

5. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Yep. Winged Cs are awesome in there. I believe they come stock with either those or Ruby. I tried a few other brands, but the Cs were seriously a huge improvement over any of the others. I have a combination of EH, retubed Mesa (I don't even know what they are) and Chinese 12ax7s in there. I am way happy with how mine is sounding.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yup, the svetlana winged-C's come stock.

from the Bogner site:

What kind of tubes? Is a re-bias neccesary? Matched sets of Svetlana power-tubes must be used in ECSTASYS and SHIVAS, UBERSCHALL amps must use matched Tesla power-tubes. As always biasing these tubes is a good idea for optimum tone. Svetlanas hold up well to our high voltages and sound great. The METROPOLIS amps are Cathode bias so no bias is needed.

7. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

+1 to everything here that has been said....

Also...enjoying JJ's in all my Mesa equipment, I figured they would improve the Shiva..but they made the amp sound dull and lifeless...wherease they made my boogies comes alive....So sticking with the chinese preamps is the move. If I still had a Shiva I would be interested in trying out some Ruby Silver Specials for preamp tubes.

I did benefit from toning down the reverb tube to a JJ ECC81/12AT7...really improved the reverb range.

I spoke with Mark Cameron once at Bogner...and he suggested a bias value on the low side of the typical range for EL34's...I tried that and thought it sounded good...if I recall is was about 32 mA...30-32...somewhere about there...

8. sws1

sws1 Member

My Shiva came with ARS tubes all around. I understand ARS is a company that relabeled tubes from other places, ala Groove Tubes.

9. RSRD

RSRD Member

Thanks for the info guys!

Thomas

10. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I am really down on ARS....my shiva came with them as well.

When I wanted replacements, I approached them after speaking with Bogner....Bogner had given me the ARS number but indicated that ARS was out of tubes currently.

When I called ARS they said they were low but had some tubes in. I mentioned my concern that if they were low in stock that I was concerned about their ability to send me a matched set....the guy on the phone kept giving me some double talk...but finally seemed to get the gist of what I was concerned about..and told me,...No worries.

When I received my tubes I verified (using my weber bias rite) that the tubes were indeed grossly mismatched (and I am talking about grossly mismatched, not even close)....I ended up asking for a refund...they reluctantly agreed and when I got my refund they charged me for the return shipping to send them back mismatched tubes.

Customer service is important to me..these guys failed big time. Maybe they take care of a big account like Bogner, but they did not take care of me....so my money goes elsewhere now.

It's all about word of mouth...the rest is up to you.

My best experiences have been with Eurotubes (although I would not recommend JJ's for the Shiva), Lord Valve, and Doug's Tubes. These guys have all given me excellent customer service and great tubes. Lord Valve get's extra credit for contacting me out of the blue to correct a clerical error that I did not catch, and in the end gave me the right tubes and let me keep the other tubes. Now that is my idea of good customer service.

11. RSRD

RSRD Member

what did the EHs do tonally?

Thomas

12. Neil

Neil Member

I wasted time and $'s with other (quality) tubes in the Shiva. What Bogner recommend is what turned out to work best.

Neil

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

did you end up getting anything? I'm curious to hear your results.

I ordered a GT Mullard 12AX7 reissue and a NOS Jan GE 5751. I heard the most tonal variation in these amps are in positions V1-V3, so I'll be playing around with these. One of the recommendations @ KCA NOS Tubes was the mullard in V1 and Jan GE in V2. We'll see how this goes today or tomorrow when they arrive.

:JAM :JAM

14. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

ok I got my tubes today. I could tell a difference in the OD when I put the Mullard RI in V1. It feels like it took out all the harsh qualities, and made it really "pretty". It's like it cleaned up the annoying frequencies of the OD. This one's a keeper.

I then put the JAN GE 5751 in V2 and also V3. Drops the OD a notch, but in a very nice and natural way. This amp has gobs of gain so I think I'll leave it in V2 for now. Reminds me of the response in one of the older jcm800's. Kind of nice.

They are very subtle differences, but I spent a while changing back and forth to confirm what I heard. Very nice. I did it all on my 1x12 but I'm sure once I put this on my 4x12 it will make everything sound five trillion times better! :)

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Glad they worked out well for you.:cool:

16. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Thanks Mike. I'll definitely be back to order again. I'd love to hear your suggestions for shaping my Shiva's tone more...this is my first dive into NOS tubes and listening for the subtle differences in tube tones.

Thanks again!

:cool:

17. RSRD

RSRD Member

Sounds like you and I use the Shiva for very different purposes. I would never want to pretty the od up. If anything, I wish I could make the OD thicker!

Different strokes.....

~t