What tube will get me closest to a Mesa Branded Sylvania STR-415 6L6GC?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dan-electro, Dec 16, 2009.

1. dan-electro

dan-electro Member

I bought an amp a while back (a modded super 60) that had a duet of Mesa Branded Sylvanias... the output is rapidly diminishing... time to replace...

I didn't realize that these duets NOS sell for $200+. Yikes. I'm usually feeling pretty "top shelf" when I throw down for =C= SED's... :)

that being said, the Sylvanias sounded AMAZING in this amp... anyone have any suggestions to get me close to the tonality of this tube for less?

Or do I need to drop some major coin :)

The super 60 runs pretty hot... so as nice as the tubes sound, methinks the bias is hot enough it is a "tube gobbler"... want a more reasonable alternative pricewise.

Thanks, tube gurus!!
    D:phones

2. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi,
    The NOS Sylvania's are quite expensive. I've traveled this road plenty.
    The NOS 7581A's are a great match, but again...these are expensive to.
    I'd try:
    TAD 6L6GC's, the Svet NOS =C='s (very nice as you stated and I agree here to.)
    Maybe the GT gold 6L6GC's are worth looking into as well.
    I setteled on the Svet NOS =C='s myself.
    Good hunting~~~~
    Take care-

3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

The old Sylvanias are known to be a stout tube that doesn't break up as much as other NOS 6L6's, those STR's were designed to work upside down in combo amps near the speaker without a lot of microphonics. From what I've read, the JJ 6L6GC tube or the GT version might be pretty close, as they are known for similar characteristics, probably more stout than the SED (winged "C" nickname) 6L6's, although those are great tubes.

Al

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I wouldn't spend a ton of money on tubes for a super 60. TAD small bottles should sound fine.

5. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Shuguang grayplates have that Sylvania/ Philips sound. I would go with Ruby 6L6GCMSTR - or TAD 6L6GC STR for more of a 7581 type sound.

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I would add that my brother has a stock Super 60 with a nice pair of NOS GE 6L6's in it, and they sound awesome in that amp. However, those are also expensive these days, we got them when they weren't that costly.

Al