What tubes are you using in your Dumble or your Dumble clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SuperReverb2, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Just curious if there is a conscensus on what power tubes sound the best in the Dumble clones/amps available today. TAD short bottles? Svets? NOS? Tung Sol reissue? (stock tubes in my Sig2) etc.

Thanks in advance

Chuck :)

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

NOS Sylvania 6L6s. GEs or Phillips ok too.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

In My Two-Rock I have short bottle TADS..6L6's, and a Mullard in V2 and grey plate RCA's in the rest

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Out of the ones I've tried so far in my Sig2 including (obviously ha ha) the stock Tung Sol reissues, I like the TAD short bottles the best. They seem to have a VERY nice mid presence about them that sits VERY well with the the highs and lows of the amp. The stock Tung Sol reissues are "OK" but I find them a little bright and almost a little "scooped" sounding for the mids I'm looking for in this amp. The TAD big bottles I tried would be great for max headroom and volume, but I like the TAD short bottles for what they give me at the volume levels I'm currently playing at. (master volume about noon and the lead volume at 2:00 o'clock on my Sig2) The SED SV6L6GC are quite nice as well, and would most likely be my second choice tied with the NOS JAN Phillips short bottles. I did NOT like the JJ 6L6's with this amp at all. Made it sound quite sterile and cold. For the record, ALL tubes were biased at 36ma..

Edited to add, I have a NOS smooth plate Telefunken in V1 and a NOS Telsa (not JJ) E83CC in V2. Stock pre amp tubes in the other positions for now.

:)

5. kimock

kimock Member

I've been working my way through this list, and hope to post clips comparing these with my favorite NOS RAAF Avionic octals shortly.

http://antiquewireless.org/otb/vtubes1005.htm

I'm currently torn between the Dis-X-Tron and the Double Life, although the Vim or Lord Baltimores' will do in a pinch.

I was told by a nurse in care of D's biological father (through an interpreter, of course) back in the early '50's that Lord Baltimore himself was partial to the Sunlight Crusader for output tubes to the exclusion of all else, but was sworn to secrecy for the duration of the treatment.
    Now that Dumble himself has been successfully cloned, this long concealed and critically impotent infomation will finally see the light of day. It remains only to find a suitable donor for the disembodied brain. . .

tag, you're it?

sshhhh. . . .it's a secrit!

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders

Man can I get some of those drugs Dumbledads nurse MUST of given you to put out some crack is wack vision like this

Beautiful

Tag ain't IT

Enjoy the Music
    Groovey Records
    Listening to Ravi Shankar - Chants of India

7. jspax7

jspax7 Member

What did Dumble put in the amps when they were built?

8. kimock

kimock Member

Sunlight Crusaders.
    No, seriously he used only tubes hand picked by Dumble himself, regardless of manufacturer. In other words, whatever was handy that worked, that worked in that position in the amp, that suited the application, which is kind of the only way to do it.
    Get some tubes, any kind at all, try 'em out one at a time and see if you have a preference. It might not have anything to do with brand, and your preference and application tend to shift around as you go, so repeat until famous.

peace

9. jspax7

jspax7 Member

:rotflmao

Never heard of 'em...

10. Rick0

Rick0 Member

No question as far as I'm concerned...mid-80's production Sylvania tall bottle-double getter 6L6GC's, (STR 415's are my favorites). The Phillips ECG 6L6GC's are great also. If you can't find 'em, try a pair of Phillips 7581A's.
    These are the best power tubes for these amps IMO.

RickO
    http://www.rickowens.4t.com/

11. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Kimock is right. (imo) Funny too!

Because I prefer lower powered amps, I've been using 6V6's in my amps. (Brimar's and RCA's are my favorite 6V6's. jj's behave like a mini 6L6 to my ears) I did pick up some Tung Sol 5881's, (old ones) and have some TAD's too.

I did a good amount of preamp tube rolling in my Emerald Pro, Fuchs and D'Lite. For 12AX7's I like RCA's in V1, Mullard's in V2, Honorable mention goes to Raytheon Black plates and RFT's, although I had 2 of them go south in one day. I'll try them again sometime.

My E.Pro had 7581's, but I was considering a change to 5881's before selling the amp. All of my current amps can use either 6V6 or 6L6. For my tastes, I like having the option.

As Steve said, it's about application. I use what works, and it changes from time to time. For lower gain, I even like a 5751 in V2 sometimes. The OD becomes very articulate.

These amps are versatile, and capable of far more than they get credit for sometimes.

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Sylvania 5881 power tubes, GE 12ax7 preamp tubes, except Telefunken for reverb.

Tags not it.
    The Emerald pro is. ;) This amp is sounding so good, I can not stop playing it. 230 AM here, and the MV works so good, I am getting stunning tones at well below talking volumes. WHAT an amp!!!!!!!!! I am actually in love with this more now, than I was when I got my first one. All the old timers here sure remember that! LOL!!