What tweed/BF fender amp would complement an AC15CC the best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by phyrexia, Feb 17, 2008.

1. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

The AC15CC is basically the top boost channel. I've done a mod or two, it's got all NOS tubes, I have the Blue, and it sounds pretty damn good.

So now I really really really want to build an amp kit. I have thought about a 5E3 deluxe, or a BF Princeton Reverb. Both those kits are pretty doable IMO.

A Deluxe Reverb might work too but it might be a tad big (although physically it's nearly the same size as the AC15) and it may overpower the Vox. I think either the 5E3 or the Princeton with respective mods would be about even.

Anybody have any other ideas? Does anybody think I should get a 18 watter type amp instead?

2. NTBluesGuitar

NTBluesGuitar Member

Question is, what are you trying to get out of the complement amp?

5E3 is just a great amp, really tweedy, and the wattage matches. However, it can be really spongy and may break up much differently than the Vox. Could be a good thing or bad thing depending on what you want.

The Princeton Reverb is also a good choice for adding that Fender sound, too, and you'll have reverb, etc.

Tough call, both great amps. I prefer tweeds, but that's personally my personal opinion. :D

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

If you want another amp to A/B with the Vox I would suggest a higher wattage if you intend on having clean with the fender, and dirty with the vox.

Good luck.

dk

4. ogredog

ogredog Member

did your big blue make a big difference...tone-wise?

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the DR won't overpower the ac15 with a blue. They'll be at around the same volume.

It depends... are you using the vox for OD and clean? or just OD? If you're using them for both and want a full-spectrum sound, i would go tweed. If you want to run the vox dirty for crunch and sing, then i would go blackface for my cleans.

6. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

Well this is a CC1X so it came with the blue, but I have played a regular one with the wharfdale, and I did a/b AC30CC 2x12s with wharfdales vs the blues at the same time. It has been a while since I heard them, but as I remember, the wharfdales are rougher sounding than the blue. More importantly to me, in the AC15 the wharfdale couldn't handle the bass and it felt like it was flabbing out. This amp I have with the blue can be dimed out with my Les Paul and it's not muddy, it's just...beautiful :D

I would kinda like to be able to run either amp double duty. I have a Boogie Mark III also which is a pretty versatile amp for me. But I'd always like to be able to do more things. I imagine a BF would be more versatile than the Tweed. The Victoria 20112 I have experience with seemed to be a crunch machine but it didn't have as much headroom as the AC15 seems to have (and a lot less than a DRRI, yeah?)

I think a Princeton with a 12" would be a sweet sounding amp, but I've only played one once. I am starting to lean that way, even though the 5e3 kit's lots less expensive.

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Check out the "brown" era amps. They are right between a Tweed and a Blackface. They have some of the coolest tremolos as well! Either a Deluxe or Princeton with a 12" would be a good fit with the AC15. Cheers.

dk

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Either 5e3 or Princeton are both great recording amps, but if you plan on using them live, there will be a noticeable lack of bottom compared with the AC15.

For a comparable Fender amp, a Deluxe Reverb will get you there, and, at 22 watts, it will be only marginally louder than the Vox. Plus, blackface and silverface Fenders are known for useable headroom, while still having lots of warmth.

Plus, an overdriven AC15 and a clean DR, played together, could give you ultra tonal depth.

9. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

That's a good point, and I bet they'd sound freakin' great together.

10. Dale

Dale Member

I think a tweed deluxe. But, I am biased!

11. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

12. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I used to play my Vox AC-15 TBX in Stereo with either my '66 Vibrolux Reverb or '68 Deluxe Reverb. Both sounded excellent. To be quite honest with you, i don't think you can go wrong with any of the Fenders. I have also used my '68 Princeton Reverb, '65 Pro Reverb and '68 Super Reverbs. They all sounded great as long as you balanced the volumes properly. The vibrolux was always my favorite.

Regards,

Tom
    Amps:
    1965 Pro Reverb,1966 Vibrolux Reverb, two 1968 Super Reverbs, two 1968 Vibrolux Reverbs,1968 Princeton Reverb, 1968 Deluxe Reverb, 1968 Bandmaster Reverb, two 1969 Bandmaster Reverbs, Vox AC15 2x10, Vox AC15TBX, Marshall DSL 401,Mesa Boogie Mark IV, 1964 & 1965 Ampeg Gemini 1's ; 1970s Ampeg V4 ; two 1970s Ampeg V2s; Vox AC30CC1 ; 1965 Gibson Falcon ; Fuchs ODS 50 Head & 1x12combo; Fuchs 100W TDS Head ;Avatar 2x12-Celestion Blues ; Avatar 2x12-Celestion Golds