What Type Of Effect Is This?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by emjee, Sep 29, 2006.

1. emjee

emjee Member

I am tryin to figure out what kind of effect makes this certain sound. The best way I can describe the effect is that it makes your notes sound like they are "underwater", for lack of a better term. Soundgarden had a popular radio song some years ago and the guitar player for them, the guy with the real long black hair and beard, Kim Thyall(?) used one for that. The only other example I have for it is on Joni Mitchell's album "Court And Spark", and Larry Carlton used one for the little leads in "Same Situation". Anyway, 'preciate the help!

Matt

2. DavidH

DavidH Member

3. usc96

usc96 Member

4. DavidH

DavidH Member

I just listened to same situation,i know what sound you're taliking about now,it's a watery sounding tremolo,very nice sounding effect.
    There's a similar sound in black hole sun that comes in when the vocals start,i'd like to know too,it's nice.

Sorry flanger was miles out,just when you said underwater i thought flanger for some reason,plus they were popular in the days of soundgarden,they make me queezy.

5. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Sounds like a fast Leslie to me.I had a Korg G4 that could nail that tone.Hope this helps.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I'm pretty sure that Larry Carlton uses a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus Flanger which also has some pretty extreme pitch modulation in it.

7. cheesey

cheesey Member

i liked the effect on the intro to Judas Priest's bloodstone , cant remember but it was flangerish :jo

8. emjee

emjee Member

:dude Thanks for the reply guys, THAT IS IT (Hole in the sun")! Is that a flanger? I thought flanger too, then I went to the boss page and listened to the samples for a flanger (They had three different sample settings) to no avail, then a Phaser, again no dice. I just thought of another really good example of the effect I am trying for, it was used by the seventies group "Bread" A LOT. Tunes like in "I found Your Diary" Also the guitarist for UB40 (Ian Campbell?) used to use it as well. Again you guys thanks for the help!:AOK

Matt

9. NO.
    it is not a flanger, dont go and get a flanger because you will be dissappointed........... the effect he is using on Black Hole Sun is a LESLIE.
    A real leslie.
    Look into the Boss RT20 Rotary Ensemble.

Luke

10. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

'Tis true, Luke is right. Kim Thayil couldn't get the part right in the studio, so Chris Cornell played the guitar/leslie part on the recorded version. The Rotary Ensemble is really outstanding (I've had many Leslie sims). You will want to do some searching on how a Leslie rotating speaker cab works to understand the effect and how to use a pedal that emulates it. Here are some places to go for info:

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/reviews/dyna_bar.html

Actually, this next one is really good:

http://www.theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/mystery/mystery.html

Go here to here more samples of modulation pedals:

http://www.modezero.com/

-Angle Loss

11. Filter428

Filter428 Member

Wouldn't a Dunlop Rotovibe kinda' give you that effect? I have an old MXR Phase 45 that does a nice job of emulating a leslie.

12. emjee

emjee Member

So its a Leslie!? No #*(%!? Thanks guys. Luke, is the Rotary Ensemble a relatively new effect by Boss? Slowtunes, is the Korg G4 a stomp box? Thanks again and Angle for the links to more info...modezero.com is a freeeeakkking COOL site! Thanks!

Matt.

13. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

+1 for Donlop Rotovibe. I saw some bands get good "BlackHoleSun" tones with one of these, and they're not too expensive.

14. Emjee-

Yeah, the RT20 is a fairly recent Boss pedal.
    The Korg G4 is a big pedal, a multi effects pedal type thing.
    The RT20 is only 225$ which is pretty cheap compared to the Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere.
    The Dunlop Rotovibe is a UNIVIBE type pedal. Sounds nothing like a Leslie.

Luke

15. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

What about a old Boss VB-2 type pedal or clone? Isnt that a similar sound or no?

16. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Its not the same. Vibrato is pitch shifting. Leslie is a spinning speaker, which will have more of tremolo - volume effect, than a pitch shifting effect

17. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

The Line 6 Roto-Machine is actually pretty good as far as a leslie sim. Too many "rotating speaker" effects either sound like a simple chorus/vibrato (Dunlop Rotovibe etc) with a fast rate or a heavy phaser with some volume dips as in the case of the Univibes and their derivatives. Based on sound samples alone, the Line 6 sounds the most realistic to me, followed by the Boss RT-20.

However, any chorus or flanger with a fast rate will get a basic "underwater" sound. Yes, flangers will do that too. Just don't crank the resonance.

18. emjee

emjee Member

I thought so too, cause I remember having a ElectroHarmonix Electric Mistress and that had sounds like no flanger on the market today. In fact, I thought it was an EM until the subject of a leslie was brought up. Also, (Please forgive my ignorance) isnt a leslie a big wooden cabinet that goes along with a Hammond B3? If so, how did LC get his guitar signal to go thru a keyboard, how does that work you guys? Thanks again for all your input.

Matt
    San Rafael, Ca

19. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

You don't run the sound through the keyboard, you run it directly into the leslie. There is an input on the speaker box. The old ones are tube, and are great fun to jam on. You can sit and play with it for hours...... the lesile that is.

20. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I was considering getting a Rotosphere or something about 8 years ago, then I found a '63 or '64 Leslie 120 cabinet for $300. Run my 2nd amp through it... add a POG, some compression, and envelope filter & slapback and you've got a convincing hammond organ sound (will be cool when I get a pickup for my Melodica and run that through it).

$225 for a Boss RT-20? Meh.