What type of finish does Martin use on mid level guitars. I.E performing artist series?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by sidehatch, Mar 14, 2018.

1. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

I tried searching but no luck. I bought a used Performing Artist dreadnaught. IT has solid rosewood back and sides with a spruce top. Retail is around 2k. The guitar sounds great so the reason I want to know is that though the guitar has little wear, the previous owner scratched up the neck with his wedding ring. My dad is an auto body guy and can blend in some new finish if I can buy what's needed.

You'd think somewhere on the net I could find out what the factory used but no luck so far. Even if he can use lacquer over it I'd still like to know what's factory for curiosity's sake.

Thanks

2. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Ask on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. There's a good chance someone will know.

3. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

Martin uses a catalyzed lacquer. they used to use Chemvar ( gloss) and Chemsheen (satin) but that was some years ago and Sherwin Williams has changed hands since then. Last I spoke with anyone up there about their formulations was about 3-4 years back and at that point they were blending their own finishes out of base stock with the help of a chemical supplier. Don't reme4mber the name but know it wasn't DOW because I was trying to source virgin nitro chips to do the same .

4. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if nitro will interchange so he can get the finish built up?

5. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

Yes, you should be able to blend any other lacquer into it.

gtone likes this.