What type of guitar owner are you?

What type of guitar owner are you?

• The Tom Morello: You own (or want) one or two workhorse guitars, and you're good with that.

Votes: 245 32.3%
  • The Tim Pierce: You own (or want) a variety of guitars, so you're prepared for anything.

Votes: 399 52.6%
  • The John 5: You have one kind of guitar you like, and you own (or want) a sh*tload of them.

Votes: 52 6.9%
  • The Joe Bonamassa: You indiscriminately buy everything.

Votes: 62 8.2%

• Total voters

theRagman

Supporting Member - Gold
I thought this might be fun to ask, since I've watched my own predilections change over the years. For a long time I wanted to be the Tim Pierce (aka The Session Guy), but I slowly realized I only gravitate to a couple of different sounds and the rest don't suit me. These days, I'm aspiring be the Tom Morello. I do have a couple of guitars that have sentimental value but I don't play much, so I'm not sure I'm willing to get the collection down below five (counting the acoustic, of course).

(Poll options are somewhat tongue-in-cheek, obviously. I doubt, for example, that Joe B. "indiscriiminately" buys everything, but it was funnier written that way.)

I’m not sure where I fit here. I tend to like Gibson style guitars with 2 hum buckets and most of my electrics are Les Pauls and ES-335s, except for the Firebird and the Special with P90s. So that’s kind of the John 5 pattern.

But now we have to also consider the 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars, the bass and the mandolin, so I have no idea how to answer this.

C-4

I've been a Pierce-type of player most of my life, but I would re-name it a Tedesco-type player, as Tommy was, and still is a big influence on how I think and play, especially when I was doing session work back in the day.

I've tried a lot of different guitars and companies to make sure I was happy playing what I was playing. In the end I came back to the four basic food groups of guitars and added, for seasoning, the guitar in my avatar, which is a personal design I had done when I was endorsed. It is just different enough from the basic four food groups.

theRagman

Supporting Member - Gold
I've been a Pierce-type of player most of my life, but I would re-name it a Tedesco-type player, as Tommy was, and still is a big influence on how I think and play, especially when I was doing session work back in the day.

I've tried a lot of different guitars and companies to make sure I was happy playing what I was playing. In the end I came back to the four basic food groups of guitars and added, for seasoning, the guitar in my avatar, which is a personal design I had done when I was endorsed. It is just different enough from the basic four food groups.
I gotta ask... In your mind, what are the four basic food groups?

theRagman

Supporting Member - Gold
I’m not sure where I fit here. I tend to like Gibson style guitars with 2 hum buckets and most of my electrics are Les Pauls and ES-335s, except for the Firebird and the Special with P90s. So that’s kind of the John 5 pattern.

But now we have to also consider the 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars, the bass and the mandolin, so I have no idea how to answer this.
Ah, well. Life rarely conforms to perfect categories. :) I left the bass, the acoustic, and the synth stuff (dear God) out of my self-assessment.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Vendor
I’m both. I have two workhorse guitars for live stuff. Plus, a variety guitars for recording.

It’d be funny to come up with more types:

The Malcolm: only one guitar, for life, for everything
The Angus: hundreds of the same guitar, sounds great on all

What else y’all got?
The Townshend: Don’t remember... I smashed them all.

theRagman

Supporting Member - Gold
It’d be funny to come up with more types:

The Malcolm: only one guitar, for life, for everything
The Angus: hundreds of the same guitar, sounds great on all

What else y’all got?
I love this idea! Gonna have to give it some thought.

Arguably, The Morello is simply a less-evolved variant of The Malcolm. The Willie Nelson is, of course, the paragon of the form: You have one guitar, for everything, for life, and it is inextricably bound to your life force. When you die, it will collapse into ash.

Gallery

Supporting Member
In my mind I'm John 5 because I clearly favor a Les Paul and play one most of the time.

In reality I'm Tim Pierce because I recognize the utility in diversity.

2 Strats
2 335s
3 Les Pauls

Last edited:

Xkcdfan

I have a Hamer(HSS) and a Fender(SSS) strat, an EBMM Luke II(EMG HSS) and a Les Paul. Guess i'm a Tom with a slight inclination towards Tim.

Trending Topics