What type of guitar owner are you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by theRagman, Apr 4, 2019.

What type of guitar owner are you?

1. The Tom Morello: You own (or want) one or two workhorse guitars, and you're good with that.

244 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. The Tim Pierce: You own (or want) a variety of guitars, so you're prepared for anything.

398 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. The John 5: You have one kind of guitar you like, and you own (or want) a sh*tload of them.

52 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. The Joe Bonamassa: You indiscriminately buy everything.

62 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

If I had the FU money to buy a top of the line Les Paul (they're like $6K), I'd buy several Vintage brand LP and Strats and do different after market pick up configurations on some and be happy as a clam. Maybe I'd take some of that and buy a second Friedman amp for student use and because I just wanna have an amp in 2 rooms in my house because I said so and it would save some walking! LOL.

2. Old Chomper

Old Chomper Member

Morello. One ES-335 style, one Strat style.

3. b80

b80 Member

I must applaud you on this. Well done.

4. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

I’m the Tom Pierce. Or Tim Morello.
    Give me five or six in different flavors and I’m happy as a clam.
    Not too many, just enough.

theRagman likes this.
  5. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

The Vai - 400+ guitars, most of which are not TGP approved
    The Satch - umpteen of the same guitar in different levels of chrome

6. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I'm more like a Tim Morello, I guess.

A small variety of workhorses.

Minimal frills.

No collecting or hoarding.

7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

In thinking about this, I am none of the above. I am 80% utilitarian, in that my guitars must be above everything else precise enough to have as close to exact intonation as possible on a guitar, which means the action has to be capable of being set quite low ( which is why I prefer Asian guitars, they almost always meet this criteria), they have to be ergonomically a fit for my body so that standing with one performing is not fatiguing, they have to be well enough made to last with high enough quality wood to resonate well ( again, Asian), and have good enough electronics to allow the guitars traits to shine.
    Which is why I alter most of my guitars electronics.
    In other words they are tools. The tools I use to work on wood or mechanics all have a place, are all kept clean, and are all well taken care of. So are my guitars.

The other 20% deals with appearance, which I also alter (I have refinished many of my guitars because I didn't like the color, lean more toward sunburst finishes), and with the fact I like to experiment with various electronics designs.
    And the fact I consider them to be works of art.
    I have a lot of guitars, because I put so much work into them to get them just right I dread getting rid of them even after I have moved on to a different main instrument, and because I become so attached to them. They are like having pets.

So I don't suppose I really fit into any particular stereotype.
    I also suppose there are those who know me who think I am a bit eccentric about them.
    Which, lets be honest, eccentric is just a nice name for nuts.

J Factor and C-4 like this.
  8. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

I have a Strat and a Les Paul, and I fail to see why I would NEED anything else.

Of course, I'd enjoy a large collection... some semi-hollowbodies, maybe some more Strats with different pickups and stuff... but I really don't need any of that, and have no intention of buying any of it unless I'm flush with cash

9. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

Ha! That guitar has gone on to the great gig in the sky. Or at least somebody else who wanted to put up with it.

That is awesome. I briefly considered adding a category for the guitarist who builds all their own, but I drew a blank on a name. Maybe we can call it The Ripthorn!

10. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

John 5? More Like John 7 ha!

[​IMG]

theRagman likes this.
  11. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

"The John 5: You have one kind of guitar you like, and you own (or want) a sh*tload of them."

Raises hand. Bought my first Rice Custom Guitar years ago. Few years later had them build me another and make the necks exactly the same (they had my #1 for 3 weeks). Few years after that repeated. And thinking about one more... LOL!

12. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Supporting Member

I'm absolutely a Pierce. I've got 120+ electrics (and only one acoustic of my own; wife has 2 parlors and *beautiful* 70s Yamaha classical). All my electrics are different in one important tonal aspect or function. I use them for unique groups of all sorts.

My main group lately is an eclectic punky/folky/reggae/etc group with several multi-instrumentalists. I rotate playing bari sax, guitar, and bass (aside from singing dual lead with the guy was plays nylon guitar/fiddle/accordion/flute/etc). I'm on guitar for roughly half the tunes, and the other guy who plays electric (80% of the time, also Mandolin and djembe) is on Strats, so Strats are out for me, tonally.

For this group (we gig a LOT, often multiple sets of varying styles), I play Tele and p90 Gibson sounds. Humbuckers don't have much of a place next to all the horns and vocals. Lately this has been my 73 Tele or my Japanese Fender Offset Mahogany Tele with the p90 in the neck and some sort of p90 Gibson (2012 Special, Goldtop, 2018 BFG, 2019 SG special or 2016 SG Naked).

If we're on the road, I bring my second 2012 Special (with the Bigsby B5) as the backup that both of us share so we only carry 3 electrics.

Anyway, for sure a Pierce. I like having the perfect tool for the job.

-Mark

13. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I want to be like Joe, but I am more like Tom. HAHA

14. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

The older I get the more I'm either John 5 or Tom Morello. Les Paul and 335, and even of the four LPs I own I play one of them way more than the others.

I have Strats and Teles, but they mostly sleep in their cases.

kidmandude likes this.
  15. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

I say this is a trick question. All the choices say "own (or want)". That's two way different things. My financial life says I'm a Morello. A Strat and something with humbuckers, maybe semihollow. But WANT?

Don't we all wish we could support the JB lifestyle?

16. AlanH

AlanH Member

I have three 2HB Gibson solid bodies and three locking trem Superstrats (2 X HSH and 1 X HSS). If ever any guitar is out of action I've at least got a #1 and a back up of either style. I play in a function/party band so I tend to always take a Gibson and a Superstrat with me on rotation (with better guitars going to higher paying gigs). A GIbby and a Superstrat covers everything I would ever need.

17. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Was a strat player only for a while. Now, I gravitate toward humbucker guitars but, have a variety.

18. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I'm a variety is the spice of life kind of guy when it comes to guitars. I cover a variety of styles on stage and in the studio, so I need different flavors of instruments to help me get 'the sound' that's appropriate for the gig/song/style/mood...

HERSCHEL likes this.
  19. Pongo

Pongo Member

Another member of Team Pierce checking in.

I play 3 types of guitar like 90% of the time, but it's great to have the other 10% waiting in the wings, so long as they meet my standards for both practicality (will I ever record anything with it?) and aesthetics (does it look cool hanging in the rehearsal space?).

20. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

no option for 'insane' guitar owner?

theRagman likes this.