what type of pic do you use for shredding?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sf audio, Feb 7, 2008.

1. sf audio

sf audio Member

For those of you who play fast - what type of pics do you use? medium, hard, super hard? Big, small? Fender, dunlop? I'm looking to improve my fast picking technique - wondering if there is a consensus on what type of pics work best for shredding...probably not!

:munch

2. airjamie

airjamie Member

Pickboy jazz work great for me. Usually smaller picks work a little better as there is less pick surface to cause drag that delays the note and more...erm...point.

3. johnston

johnston Member

not a fast player or anything, but can't imagine one better for playing fast and with control - dunlop ultex jazz 3

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

5. Mudder

Mudder Member

V-pick medium pointy.

6. rrhea

rrhea Member

7 String Thing has some great recommendations. I usually use a drill with a pick glued on the end for super fast runs...

But when not drilling I wield the ultimate weapon... the Dunlop Jazz III. It's pretty much the shred standard used by many fast players (I am not fast, but I am a wannabe so I use them). :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Nylon-Jazz-III-Pick?sku=110062

RR

7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I use a Dunlop Jazz III (red) for everything. I'm not a shredder by any means, but when I switched over from Fender extra heavies many years ago, I felt there was an immediate improvement in my picking accuracy. I'd like to try a V-Pick one of these days since people seem to be reporting similar types of improvements when they switch to those.

-Austin

8. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

Definitely Dunlop ultex jazz IIIs.

I used the black jazz IIIs for many years before that and they work great, too. Just a matter of preference.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Exactly. Best pick for fast picking ever IMO. Very thick, but you're quite surprised at how easy they are to pick with. It has to do with the hardness of the material and the beveled edge. Yes they're not cheap, but worth every penny. And they don't really wear that fast. (I usually use one for about a month). And I havn't lost one since I got my first ones in October.

*** But more important than what pick you use, do you practice with a metronome or drum machine? Accurate practice is what makes you fast, not the pick.

10. PFCG

PFCG Member

see i dont like the jazz III or the ultex jazz 3 because they sound weird to me and have this rubbery feel that i cant get over. they arent hard enough.

I wish they made a 2mm tortex jazz pick because the snap of tortex sounds great. and i wish they made the big stubbies out of tortex.

11. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I have this one gray nylon Dunlop pick that's great for playing fast. I only got the one though. Wish I had bought more.

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

[​IMG]
    I can't really shred. But I can pick faster and with better control with thicker, more rigid tips with sharper edges. I use Dunlop tortex "The Wedge" picks.