1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What type of pickups do I need?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wcraven, Jan 12, 2008.

1. wcraven

wcraven Member

I recently bought a Brian Moore china make as a beater guitar and actually really love the way it plays. The only problem is the weak pickups. This guitar has a feel of a PRS so I was thinking I should find some old prs pu's on ebay. Am I wasting my money with this? What other pu's are out there that are hot, ofcourse I compare everything to my Sg, but I don't want quite that much bite. Duncan Alnico 2s? Trying not to break the bank. Match them or split them?

2. wcraven

wcraven Member

How do the new EMGs sound?

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I like WCR's for the tone...I have them in 4 of 5 guitars.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Why not put some Dunacn or DiMarzio PAF types with alnico 5 magnets in there.

5. wcraven

wcraven Member

Aren't WCRs a little expensive for a $350 guitar? Does name brand matter if the alnico is in it?

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Yes, the different brands will sound different, even if they have the same magnets. There are other attributes that also affect the sound.

If you can describe what you are looking for - vintage sound, vintage with a little more ummph, modern rock, heavy metal, whatever.

For a guitar like this, I'd usually recommend a set of used Duncans or DiMarzios, since they can be had pretty cheap. The model will depend on your answer to the above...