• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What type of solder to use?

73watermutt

I'm about to change out the pups in my old Les Paul and I want to be sure if what I have will work. I have some very old Radio Shack .50 2 oz. 97/3 rosin core lead free. Will this work or what should I get? Thanks

simonm

That will be fine, but it melts at a higher temperature than old school solder with lead in it, if you ever used that in the past.

AudioEcstasy

anything up from 80/20 should be fine. rosin core. I don't like 70/30 for this type of work but it might get you there in a pinch

russ

Silver Supporting Member
anything up from 80/20 should be fine. rosin core. I don't like 70/30 for this type of work but it might get you there in a pinch
Not sure what you mean by that.
I just checked, all mine are 60/40 tin/lead. Isn't that the right stuff for electronics?

Kester 63/37 is pretty much the state of the art. One note however. If you use lead free solder, be sure to remember that from now on. Should you give your guitar to someone to work on, be sure to let them know as well. In the event you add something or need to do some other soldering, lead free and leaded don't mix well. I can't imagine a situation where you'd need to mix solders on a fix, but it's worth noting nonetheless.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom