What types of guitarists will there be tomorrow?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Digidog, May 10, 2015.

1. Digidog

Digidog Member

I have a feeling that some types of musicians are becoming extinct - i.e that there is no demand for a certain type of musical style and playing and that there are no new younger musicians coming up to develop styles and passing on techniques when the older performers quit, fade or die.

I mean: If you look at classical instruments, the number of new young musicians is rapidly dwindling, and maybe it could be mathematically calculated how few there can be playing a certain instrument before vital musical knowledge and traditions are getting lost. Lets take the bassoon: How many new young instrumentalists are being examined from high schools to fill out seats in orchestras - and are there sufficient numbers to preserve technique and interpretation knowledge to be able to perform classical pieces and orchestral works?

So my question is: Are certain guitar styles fading out because the demand of certain styles is gone and no new players take interest in playing and developing them?

I have some examples:

Will we ever see a new guitarist like SRV, with a combination of technique, star quality and songwriting, that can achieve wider popularity?

Will there be funk-fusion style guitarists like Hiram Bullock, Larry Carlton or early Robben Ford again, with musically advanced songs and performances?

I write this because I find so many of todays band's guitarists so incredibly boring to listen to, and those who are somewhat interesting are coming to older age like Eric Johnson, Carlton, Scofield or (my favourite, may he never die!) Feiten.

2. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Remember the Accordion!!!

3. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

look harder and you will find amazing guitarist in every genre in every decade

4. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Guthrie once said in a video that he knew many guitarists who went from being good musicians to rather horrible and unmusical shredders.

That says a lot.
    And I would agree.

5. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

:bandIn my city and at least the surrounding districts, school music programs appear to be in fine health with lots of participation. I suppose this has a lot to do with the schools' ability to pay for these programs, and which in turn comes from our pockets. Both my kids play instruments and so do many of their friends. I can only compare with how it was when I was their age in the 80s.

Guitar wise, not so much it seems.

6. Ulug

Ulug Member

There's one in every crowd...

7. Digidog

Digidog Member

Yeah, there are some areas where local initiatives bring a healthy school system that produces young educated musicians on different instruments. But are there enough? There has to be a certain number of people playing an instrument to satisfy the need for performers, educators, replacement musicians and interested players that will listen to other performers of the instrument. All of them need to have a certain minimum skill and educational level to be able to stand up to demands and expectations AND to cultivate their own interest in other musicians progressing and development in and of music.

One reason I ask, is that the over all declining numbers of young people playing a classical instrument (clarinet, bassoon, french horn, oboe etc.) is ultimately going to have an effect on guitar playing and guitar performance. To what end I don´t know, but in my opinion I can definitely see changes in the breeding of young players of popular instruments, like guitar, singing, keyboards and bass f.ex.

If you know any interesting and - to an extent - ground breaking young guitarists, let´s say under 30, please let me know of them and please add YouTube links if there are any.

8. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

From what I've read the music schools graduate plenty of instrumental music majors every year. And I guess if you put enough time into it you can knit together some sort of a living playing in multiple community orchestras, chamber groups, teaching, etc., if you are in major metropolitan area. But I'm pretty sure there is plenty of competition at all levels, even for bassoon - it's not like orchestras need a huge bassoon section after all.

It takes a certain amount of exposure to any kind of music to make it appealing enough for people to pay money for it. The lack of music education in public school systems probably affects demand for music in general. Maybe more than it affects the supply of people who'd like to do it for a living, to the point that they put in the thousands and thousands of hours required.

9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I think tomorrows guitar playing will be what you can do on the guitar while texting at the same time. :red For the audience, they probably won't mind because they'll be texting while they listen, so they won't notice the lack of any song writing skills, proper chord progressions, lack of power chords and solos. :dunno

10. Captain Midnite

Captain Midnite Member

Enter the uke!!!

11. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

That comment has been beat to death and not relevant to the OP in my opinion. Yeah if you want to dig you can find anything but those players aren't going to carry the torch.

12. jordane93

jordane93 Member

13. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I think guitarists in the future will be younger.

14. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

OP: delete the stuff before the = [and the =]

15. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Seriously, the guitar is not in danger of fading away. Its hands down the most popular instrument in the U.S. It's about the best crossover instrument. It can be a percussion instrument or or an orchestra. It can be thrown in a car and taken to the beach. With the appeal guitar has I believe talent will always find its way to it.

Will there ever be anather SRV? Uh, hopefully for the last time, no!!!

Are there other players that can deliver it at a Stevie level? Heck yes, and then some, it depends on your game and genre. Trust me the world hasn't seen their last good guitarist.

16. XKnight

XKnight Member

I went to my high school age daughters "Pop Show" last night. It's an annual production put on by the schools choir program with assistance from the theater and band programs. I was pleasantly surprised to see about half the songs included live guitar playing accompanying the singers. Most were acoustic guitarists, but there was also an electric guitar present. Guitar playing is very popular among today's teens from what I can see. The more that things change, the more they stay the same.

17. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Lots of great players out there. I actually think the skill level required for rock music is considerably higher now than it used to be. Also it takes a couple of minutes of youtube to see how much talent is out there.

I am not worried.

18. stormtrooper

stormtrooper Member

no more guitar players we will be the Accordion

19. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Are you kidding? Every couple of years there's another young white kid who comes along who is trumped up to be the second coming of Hendrix/SRV...KWS, Johnny Lang, Joe B, Mayer...

20. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

^^^ Can we leave the colour out of it please.