what upgrades on my Edwards?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vinceman, Apr 8, 2008.

1. vinceman

vinceman Member

Hi Edwards owners.:BEER

I have a Jimmy Page model, and was wondering what upgrade would be useful on this guitar.

I'm going to put CTS pots first, but what about Bridge and tailpiece? Would I hear a real difference in tone, sutain? What about the tuners?

For those of you who have upgraded your Edwards guitars, what parts did you chose? Tonepros? I assume that the parts to order are the same as for other japanese guitars (epiphone for instance) with metric values. Am i right?

Thank you.
    Vincent

2. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Your tuners and bridge are most likely Gotoh so there's really no need to upgrade them unless you want them locking. As far as spacing I'm not sure as my Edwards is at my practice space. Take a scale (ruler) and measure your studs and see what you come up with. I'd be interested to know as well as I plan to some day put a Stets bar on mine.

3. vinceman

vinceman Member

I measure 3 inches (7,6cm) cm between the studs

4. 3th3r

3th3r Member

I used to have the same guitar, and the only thing I changed, for quality reasons, were the ceramic caps it came with. This guitar has very high-quality parts; this ain't no cheap Epi.

I did changed the stoptail posts for locking ones -- not to improve the quality, but because I like my stoptail locked in place. (BTW I don't know if they are metric or US, but the Edwards posts fit on my Gibson). I also tried a lightweight aluminum stoptail; I didn't hear much difference.

Everything else was of very high quality.

The Alpha pots it comes with (at least mine came with Alphas) are very high quality, so I wouldn't change them for CTS. Maybe change them for RS pots if you prefer a smoother taper.

5. vinceman

vinceman Member

There's nothing printed on the pots, exept "500kA or 500B"

So I don't know if they are alphas. Sould there be something written somewhere on the pots?

what cap do you use? Does it make a big difference tonewise (i mean even when the tone knobs are on 10) ?

6. scottish

scottish Member

Switching out the pots is always a decent bet. If you have a multimeter then just measure the resistance and sensitivity of the sweep across it. If they have good tolerance (+/- 10%) then i wouldnt even both changing them. I would however, definitetly switch out the ceramic caps for some orange drops. Using .047 caps will keep the darker LP tone in there and using .022 caps will brighten it up a bit. Personally i put .022s in all my guitars, strat or LP, but thats just personal preference.

As for other stuff...are you unhappy with any aspects of how the guitar plays and sounds? If not then dont change anything imo.

7. 3th3r

3th3r Member

I apologize. I just checked my notes from when I had the guitar, and the pots were actually marked "Noble", not Alpha as I said earlier. I had Alpha in my mind from another guitar. Anyway, Noble is a very good Japanese brand, but your pots may be something else if they are not marked.

The caps I used were some very expensive Jupiter beeswax/film-foil caps that I had left over from another project. I remember that with the volume rolled down, notes in chords had a bit more definition, but I also remember that it made the guitar a bit darker, which I liked, but others probably wouldn't. On 10 I doubt you'll hear a difference with any cap.

8. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Here are the mods that I made to my Edwards JP model, which is sounding and playing awesome right now (just had a setup done and my tech loves it, too):

TonePros locking bridge and tailpiece studs (I believe they were both metric)

Gotoh lightweight aluminum tailpiece (imperial)

Sozo premium mustard caps (400v)

Smit's Parts Classic Coils neck & bridge humbuckers (unpotted, alnico 4 magnets)

I have the JP wiring and haven't replaced the push-pull pots yet, because I am not sure if there are any higher-quality replacements for them out there right now (if anyone knows of any, do tell! The current pots get a little muddy when you turn them down).

- Chris

9. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

I have an LTS-130 RE, and I wouldn't change a thing. I 'think' it has better caps etc. but I don't really know. I have just been listening to some recordings that I have done and it's sound great.

Just enjoy it:BluesBros

10. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I've come to the conclusion that I like ceramic caps in my Paul. Liked them much better than poly ones, so listen with your ears first.

11. vinceman

vinceman Member

Thanks for the replies, keep'em coming !

Indrayavu, how did the bridge-tailpiece change affect the tone of your les paul?

12. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Well, I think that it brought out a little more clarity (brightened the tone a bit) and sustain. Subtle stuff (in that the player is going to notice the difference more than the listener), but I think it's worth the expense.

I made pretty much the same mods on my Tokai (except with WCR Fillmore set and Hovland musicaps) and will do it again with any new LP-style guitars that I buy in the future.

- Chris