• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What volume pedal are you using?

codycarrig

Who's using what volume pedal nowadays? I've been using an Ernie Ball VP Jr., but I've heard there are much better options out there!

Alward

I bought a mission engineering active volume pedal 3 years ago and its been rock solid. It sounds great and doesnt suck tone! The taper isn't pefect but a slow foot makes it all good.

HighRoller

Every guitarist has different results with volume pedals. Me personally, I use the Dunlop DVP4 Volume Mini Pedal, it's passive and can be used as an expression and tuner connectivity. Mine is the very first pedal in the beginning of my chain, I have a natural fade in and fade out sound over all my pedals this way. Plus it's small and cute! You will save space with this one.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
For my money, a volume pedal that doesn't use a potentiometer is the way to go. All pots will eventually get scratchy, and whatever mechanism drives the pot is subject to failure (string, gears, etc)

I have a Lehle on one board, and a Hilton on another. They are both really great.

I use an older Boss FV-100. You can see and hear it in this noisy video. I use it in conjunction with a Mutron III envelope filter clone to try to sound like a miku stomp. I really want a miku stomp.

Matt Griffin

Silver Supporting Member
Used to use an Ernie Ball. Now I use an expression pedal with an EQD Swiss Things. Never going back, ever.

Riffa

Boss FV-500H here. It’s huge and it’s heavy, but it’s got a nice sweep and it’s been reliable so far.

C-4

I've used Goodrich for many years, decades actually, since 1975.
I tried Ernie Ball volumes but the string doesn't last long. Meh!
I now have a Vox 860 volume pedal and it's worked flawlessly for over a year.

https://voxamps.com/product/v860/

wrathfuldeity

George Dennis GD25 a stereo panorama, optical...works great and found for $10. Currently used as a swell...in particular to work a VFE Mini Mu envelope filter...so good and fun.

GD025
PANORAMA-STEREO-VOLUME

The GD25 has two distinct modes of operation: „PAN Mode“ (LED extinguished), the pedal works as a stereo volume pedal. By pushing your foot forward, the signal pans left, whilst pulling the pedal back pans the signal to the right, returning the pedal to the centre gives you an equal left and right signal. „SWITCH Mode“ (LED illuminated), the pedal works as a Swell pedal. Push your foot down and the volume increases, pull it back and the volume decreases. In all of the operating modes, you have the facility to set the levels of the left and right volumes using the Left and Right Level, giving you studio quality, noiseless performance.

Controls: Mode, Left Level, Right Level, Minimum Volume, Volume and Panorama Volume.

markmann

I have three different Ernie Ball volume pedals. I have one a the big ones from around 1990, a VPJR from 2005 and a stereo model. What I really like about the Ernie Ball pedals is that they have a great housing that seems indestructible which to me is most important. Everything else is replaceable. I use volume pedal for guitar and steel guitar so they get used a LOT. I just recently replaced the pot on one and the string on the other which was no big deal and they have lasted a long time for me.

Glitch Magnet

George Dennis GD25 a stereo panorama, optical...works great and found for $10. Currently used as a swell...in particular to work a VFE Mini Mu envelope filter...so good and fun.

GD025
PANORAMA-STEREO-VOLUME

The GD25 has two distinct modes of operation: „PAN Mode“ (LED extinguished), the pedal works as a stereo volume pedal. By pushing your foot forward, the signal pans left, whilst pulling the pedal back pans the signal to the right, returning the pedal to the centre gives you an equal left and right signal. „SWITCH Mode“ (LED illuminated), the pedal works as a Swell pedal. Push your foot down and the volume increases, pull it back and the volume decreases. In all of the operating modes, you have the facility to set the levels of the left and right volumes using the Left and Right Level, giving you studio quality, noiseless performance.

Controls: Mode, Left Level, Right Level, Minimum Volume, Volume and Panorama Volume.
I use a GD60 Wah-Volume-Switch. Had to tweak the optics and trim pot inside to get the sweep just right. Very happy with it. Completely transparent and quiet. The inductorless wah isn't half bad either, though a bit tame.

My first volume pedal I built myself, around 1980, out of wood using a string and pulley scrapped from an old radio. Honed my early Lifeson and Hackett inspired style with that thing.

billbfoot

I was looking hard at upgrading from my old Ernie Ball to a Lehle. The EB was solid and still in great physical and mechanical shape, but I had come to realize I had fallen victim to the dreaded “tone-suck” problem. Had read a lot of about the Lehle and was just getting over the fact that it looked like my grandpa’s orthopedic insole for his plantar fasciitis... when I realized that the new Ernie Ball VPJR w/ built-in tuner was newly available. With a discrete buffer circuit and the potential to save a little space on my board (with the two-in-one function of VP plus tuner), I got me one, and I’ve been VERY happy with the results.

jchan

I have been using an Ernie Ball 25K passive volume pedal at the end of my pedal board to control overall volume, going into a clean amp. Problem is a bit of tone suck unless the volume pedal is full on. I have tried the Ernie Ball MVP active volume pedal but got multiple drop outs during shows. I initially thought it was amp or bad cables, then realized it was the active volume pedal and the bad internal electronics. I head good things about the Mission and Lehle active volume pedals. I'm considering getting one, OR, just removing the volume pedal and learning to live without and getting some more high end response!!

Glitch Magnet

I was looking hard at upgrading from my old Ernie Ball to a Lehle. The EB was solid and still in great physical and mechanical shape, but I had come to realize I had fallen victim to the dreaded “tone-suck” problem. Had read a lot of about the Lehle and was just getting over the fact that it looked like my grandpa’s orthopedic insole for his plantar fasciitis... when I realized that the new Ernie Ball VPJR w/ built-in tuner was newly available. With a discrete buffer circuit and the potential to save a little space on my board (with the two-in-one function of VP plus tuner), I got me one, and I’ve been VERY happy with the results.
Highlarious! I actually love the Lehle's styling, but then I haven't been subjected to your grandpappy's insole.

Trending Topics