What Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitarzan, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

I need a wah to use when I'm flying with the small pedalboard. I've used the same vintage vox my entire life and its still on my main board. I'll never switch. What comes close? None of the normal stuff I've tried does it for me. I've started not even taking a wah with me when I fly cause I miss my old one so much. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Shoot Geoffrey Teese an email at Real McCoy Custom..

3. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Hey Josh, as bandofthieves said, you should definitely check out the RMC wahs...Geoffrey Teese makes some killer stuff and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out. RealMcCoyCustom.com

By the way, gotta say that I love your playing!

4. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI give the Area 51 wah a try, great vintage Vox sounding wah.
    Peace Strat58

5. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

+1 on the Area 51, definitely the best wah i've ever heard...
    check out carlygeetar's clips... you wont be sorry...!

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I wondered, if the goal is the vintage vox, but a new one, I wonder if you aren't going to be dissapointed no matter what?

This may not apply to you, but it might be that you are missing out on a new experience with trying only to match the wah you really have grown to know and be used to. Have you thought about possible getting a different kind of wah, just to see if there is something there that might be untapped, and cool for you to play with?

I don't know how a vintage vox reacts to guitar, fuzz, etc, but I do know the newer Dunlop 535-Q (at least the one I bought) seems to be TB, and has a pretty good range of wah sounds to dial in. I don't like the overdrive on it, but otherwise is pretty cool.

Teese is quality stuff, and I hear great things about Fulltones' wah.
    Also the BYOC wah kit.

I'm just wondering, because as I wrote recently here, I find that I like ALL my wahs (and they are very different) but each one brings out some aspect I can use, and I trade off quite a bit, and finally realized, I like them all because I always find something in there that sounds cool. I don't actually think I have had a bad wah, except for wahs that affect my sound in bypass.

I have/have had Teese Picture wah, Dunlop GCB95, Dunlop 535-Q, WD-7, Budda Bud-wah, and just recently a regular vox 487 (it does affect my tone though in bypass), and several others.

Whatever wah you get, if you don't love the sound of it, you can also adjust the potentiometer in it more or less trebly usually and that is the one trick that I think is the most important.

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Like a few others mentioned...Area51 is an excellent wah definitely worth checking out!

8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Thanks for all the info. I'd never heard of the 51's. Teese is what most people have said too, but somehow I've never had one. I really don;t need it to be a clone of my old one, I just want to be as inspired by the new one as I am the old. My vintage one just seems to really excel at both the funky stuff, and the Jimi stuff. It just all around kills with any tone I throw at it. Thats what I want! The newer Vox and Crybaby's I've tried haven't worked for me and the Fulltone and Budda I found good only at one thing.

9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Thanks man!

10. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

After figuring out my wah issues and eating some crow i'd have to say the area 51 standard wah is the best i own now. Very vocal with some sweet treble.

11. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Josh, It would also be helpful if you let us know which model Vox you were using. But I'm probably to late to this thread, did you find a solution?

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Mine is a vintage model, right after the Clyde model. The non sig model that just says Wah on the bottom.

13. geetarman

geetarman Member

Another Area 51 vote love mine.

14. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

You should alao check out the Wilson Wah's www.wilsoneffects.com
    He makes some truly great wahs with wonderful sound and construction.
    Keving is extremely friendly and helpful and does custom work so he might be able to capture exactly what you are looking for. For sure worth a walk though his website....FWIW.

15. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Supporting Member

I just picked up a RMC3 which is the Teese model made to be extremely configurable. I figure I like to get different kinds of sounds at different times, so this gives me the option to mix it up, which I tend to find inspiring. It'll be able to nail your Vox's sound and also be able to cover lots more territory as well if you want to change things up.

Good luck!

16. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

2nd on Wilson Wah's. Love mine I have a Rippah Q Wah, best I have ever owned and Kevin does offer great customer service.

Rock the Wah:dude:dude

17. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I like Teese's Wheels of Fire wah. I can dial it in to sound like my old vintage Vox, or I can get it to sound like Clapton on "Wheels of Fire" (who'da thunk it???) or like Jimi on "Rainy Day, Dream Away..." All the controls are on the outside, which I find a plus.

18. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

Teese RMC-1. No knobs or switches (well OK, an internal trim pot), just plug and play, great sound, very similar to a nice Vox, but true bypass.

19. Improviser

Improviser Supporting Member

My recommendation would be to hunt down another vintage wah (ebay?) like you already own, send it to George Blekas at Pedalworx to ensure parts calibration & setup is optimised, and there you have the tone(s) you are telling us you want. You've also just bought yourself a backup to your original wah!

Many of the original wahs came in different guises with the same circuits. If you take a look, or send a pic of your original one's guts your search for another one with that circuit can be narrowed down.

Good luck.

20. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Teese RMC3 for if you can't decide on your tone, RMC2 if you like a nice, bright wah with some adjustability, RMC4 (Picture) if you want a straigth up clear vintage wah sound, BYOC if you want it to be more mellow/rounded top end with a slightly deeper sweep.