What was something little that improved your playing drastically?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Phil3, Mar 23, 2020 at 3:54 PM.

1. Phil3

Phil3 Member

For me it was using a thicker pick. When I started playing I had a hard time picking (I was using a medium pick, so a pick that could bend quite a bit) And I couldn't play comfortably. So I tried a thicker pick one day and it helped a ton! It was like a button that improved my playing, or at least made it more comfortable. (The pick was an unbranded clear blue thing, but eventually I started using Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm) The same thing happened this previous Christmas when I got a pack of Kirk Hammet Jazz 3 picks(1.38mm as I recall) Bit smaller than the tortex, lighter too. Alot of people complain that jass picks are too small, and I understand why. But my hands aren't very large so a jazz pick is perfect for me. Nowadays I can play with just about any pick, but I still find so much ease of playing and control when I use a thicker pick.

So what was something small that made a big impact on your playing?

2. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

Learning the five scale shapes, and how they interlock. This gives an accurate map of where you can play in any given key.

The realization that if there are no open strings involved, the same patterns will work in all 12 keys.

Using Dunlop Jazz lll picks. The articulation of my playing improved immediately.

Coiled, JPR101, Dr Bonkers and 27 others like this.
  3. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I don't know if you would call it little, but someone gave me a copy of Cool Edit Pro not long after it came out, and for the first time I was able to have a really close listen to the songs I was trying to learn

4. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Back in the “dark days” of learning to play guitar, circa ‘83-ish, I purchased this book from Jack’s House of Music, in Sacramento. It made me understand how scales were laid out/worked on guitar, and how they related to keys/chords etc.
    Almost overnight, I went from stumbling around the fingerboard to being able to actually play along(solo) to whatever music I was listening to.(except for Holdsworth’s stuff...:roll)
    [​IMG]

5. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

Jamming solo with a drummer. Strengthened my groove, my ability to fill in the sound and sell the song, listen to the drummer, work the space and really communicate.

6. Phil3

Phil3 Member

Is there such a thing as playing along to Holdsworth? I don't honestly think us, as mere humans can comprehend his alien guitar playing xD

7. infernaldingus

infernaldingus Member

Regrettably, I waited years before I bothered using a metronome for practice, and it made a pretty significant difference within the first couple of weeks of buying one. Wish I hadn't waited so long.

Also, recording myself and listening back. Lots of cringe at times, but it has definitely shown me what I need to improve about my playing (which is pretty much EVERYTHING :D).

bsacamano, gibletpie, Coiled and 30 others like this.
  8. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

9. JSutter

JSutter Member

10. pepedede

pepedede Member

Turned the gain down, turned the mids up.

forgivenman, TomDev, Jerry G and 26 others like this.
  11. lhallam

lhallam Member

It's funny, I practice with a metronome and improve my timing and then think it's good and stop for a long time. When I go back to it, I find that my timing is off again. Seems like something I need to continually use.

On topic. Nothing I did changed things in a short period. Everything took a long time from changing to Dunlop jazz picks to changing equipment.

Ear-training improved my ability to pick up stuff. That took years and I still need work. It helped my playing in that I am a better accompanist in an ensemble.

Learning every chord inversion (triads & later 7ths) lowest note on the 6th and also the 5th string helped me to voice things differently. That took years and I still screw up.

All my improvements took lots of hard work, I'm simply not what I call a natural musician.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020 at 5:43 PM
  12. AuntieDiluvian

AuntieDiluvian Member

Buying a Bogner. The definition is so crisp and clear that it showed more of my little errors and forced me to fine-tune my technique.

13. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Making sure my guitar was in the same relative position when seated as when standing.

fishleehooker, lpr9, jcj and 23 others like this.
  14. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

15. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Metronome/drum machine
    Looper

Everyone should have both.

16. Phil3

Phil3 Member

Glad I learned this one early on!

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  17. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

Jeff Berlin has a thing he does where he picks up a single piece of crumpled paper off the floor with a lot of other papers scattered around and asks the student if the floor is any cleaner now. A perfect object lesson in being patient and understanding that perseverance will get you there.

18. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

19. tanee

tanee Member

20. Coastman

Coastman Silver Supporting Member

Understanding and using triads/chord inversions along entire fretboard.