What was something little that improved your playing drastically?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Phil3, Mar 23, 2020 at 3:54 PM.

1. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

2. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    years ago....hybrid fingerpicking+pick...it was like a barn door opened

3. sbr

sbr Member

For me, playing seated with the guitar on my left leg. I played with it on the right for almost two decades and didn't even notice I'd started doing this. When I realised, it hit me just how much more comfortable and natural this was for me, for both my picking hand and my fretting hand.

Occasionally I try it back on the right leg and can't go for more than a minute like that.

JWDubois and Lucidology like this.
  4. ridethatbike

ridethatbike Supporting Member

transcribing. I'm working on BB King Live at the Regal at the moment and learning tons!

themannamedbones and Paul Conway like this.
  5. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

Looks like a Carvin DC from the 80s on the cover (I have one).

NorCal_Val likes this.
  6. iam_krash

iam_krash Supporting Member

Lightened my touch substantially on the neck, eased up on the pick so it "floats" a bit between my fingers vs. ham fisting the pick and fighting the guitar. Also went from jazz III's to a larger, slightly thinner, dunlap "flow" pick @ .88mm. Almost immediately, my playing became more fluid and clean. The hardest thing was consistently lightening up my touch on the strings. I can now pull more articulation out of my strats...

Lucidology likes this.
  7. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

1) String muting using your picking hand and the unused parts of your fretting hand.
    2) Learning when to play before the beat or after the beat to either drag or push the groove.
    3) Still learning that regurgitating scales accordingly to a chosen chord sequence is not playing music, rather it's finding the right notes according to those chords that makes sense and tells a story that is making music.
    4) Watching a Trevor Rabin instructional video and having the light bulb go off in my head regarding chromaticism and not fearing playing a non-diatonic note.

sideman, iam_krash and Lucidology like this.
  8. Guavadude

Guavadude Member

Something super simple is to play up the neck and not across for a more vocal quality and to get out of the running scales sound.

Another thing I do that I don't even think about anymore but is a big part of my playing, is while playing up the neck I often use open strings to create harmony and dissonance.
    It's equivalent to the sound of playing a piano with the sustain pedal down.

That ringing quality can add a nice vibe and color to rhythm AND leads. It doesn't work in every key though!

9. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

10. Phil3

Phil3 Member

Oh yeah, that one took a long time to figure out. Couldn't figure out why my guitars volume knob wouldn't work properly.

11. Phil3

Phil3 Member

Depends what kind of guitar it was.

Steadfastly likes this.
  12. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

• Learning all the notes everywhere on the neck. Ok, so that took a while...
    • learning how to relax. Also took a while.
    • Learning three-note triads on the top two string groups. Er...
    • conclusion: all the things that really improved my playing....took a while.

13. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

I remember it like it was yesterday: from 1985 to 1988 my technique improved exponentially and I initially pointed to one very specific guitar that seemed to elevate my technique - yes, the guitar helped but the fact that I played it all the time was "practice to a worthwhile end", A previous guitar that I didn't pick up and play all of the time would not have had the same effect. It was uncanny really.

Lucidology and Paul Conway like this.
  14. shando98

shando98 Member

I remember shortening the strap and raising my guitar up. Immediate improvement for me. That and playing with heavier picks.

aliensporebomb and JWes65 like this.
  15. ben777

ben777 Member

Signing up for in person lessons.

Paul Conway likes this.
  16. struffy

struffy Member

Listen, read, learn, visualize the piece of music before trying to play it. Save yourself and everyone else a lot of time.

Over time, that approach has allowed me to be able to practice/write tunes without a guitar. Visualization goes a long way.

17. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

For me it was simply playing with better musicians than myself. That's when my playing really took off and when things started getting fun too.

jbviper4 and Paul Conway like this.
  18. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

Richard Thompson does this so well, it adds this unpredictable element to his playing.

jjtree and Guavadude like this.
  19. dazco

dazco Member

I used to do that for that very reason...strumming. It's so much better IMO. But i no longer do because it made my alternate picking horrible. I will at times turn it tho for things that need strumming to a degree where it helps.

20. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member