What was TGP generally wrong about? (pedal predictions, clones, etc)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pao, Mar 8, 2017.

1. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

I missed this thread and boy was it a fun read!!! I guess TGP will be wrong when he makes it!!

Ghast likes this.
  2. johngregson

johngregson Member

Oh my WORD that was an incredible time to be alive.

TheNewWhatNext and Ghast like this.
  3. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I like the haiku
    Yet to be discovered here
    But I may be wrong.

Tony-Cliffton likes this.
  4. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

Not necessarily TGP but those Auralex Amp isolation pads were a real hoot in the boutique world.

5. jimk4003

jimk4003 Member

Just read that whole thread for the first time. I thought you were kidding about the chainsaws and the lethal gas.

Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Kevin.C and Ghast like this.
  6. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

@johngregson its locked and close in length haha. I wonder who outed that it was a copy or very close.

7. johngregson

johngregson Member

Yeah, way before my time here I'm afraid! I'd need to implore a better TGP historian than myself to fill in the gaps...

8. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

It's not like anybody needs to have the through hole VS. SMD war again, the discontinuation of through-hole parts will take care of the argument in the long run.

Anecdote: I do know of a very popular pedal that was through-hole for a very long time, then the builder wanted to go SMD to kinda "future-proof" his pedal to a degree. He ended up going down the proverbial rabbit hole trying to match the sound of the original pedal, even though he used the same exact value parts, he felt the sound changed for the worse. In the end, after employing much help, he was able to get his pedal back to market as SMD, but it was quite the undertaking for him. So, I don't think it's the "does SMD have the durability that a pedal needs?" argument so much, as "will players agree that SMD sounds exactly the same as through hole?" when a pedal has its method of construction changed. If you are designing something new, then you have no worries about some "bat eared" type claiming "the old one sounded better", but if you have a bunch of legacy pedals to convert, it might be worth it to worry and spend time making sure it's perfect instead of just ordering the correct value SMD parts and assuming everything will be peachy.

There's also the the art angle, through-hole is a method of assembling electronics that some people appreciate the look and dedication to what they see as art, that's subjective. Some people feel a screwed together flat-pack Ikea table will hold kitchen plates 30" off the ground just as well as a D.R. Dimes tavern table, others will see the art in the D.R. Dimes and spend what is necessary to have it in the dining room, neither is silly for their reasoning.

hamerman55, songtalk, sanfi4u and 3 others like this.
  9. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I know there was a lot packed in that paragraph.

It's known that Bill didn't do either the initial circuit design nor the SMD layout, but. I believe the layouts were done by known American pedal builders.

The initial run of KTRs was done in the US, but the second one hasn't been pinned down. There has been some discussion of whether it has been established definitively, but nothing conclusive has been presented. That led to discussion of the claims that anything made in, say, China was of lesser quality, because production of a mojo pedal is a powerful counter-argument. Of course, this is in the wake of the enthusiastic embrace by TGP's self-proclaimed cognoscenti of the Joyo ultimate Drive... but only when it was gooped, with all identifiers removed, and rebranded as a "boutique" Freekish Blues Alpha Drive, heralded as a "Dumble in a box."

(It doesn't help that the Dumble fanbois had a meltdown upon discovering they chosen in a blind test, as the best sounding Dumble amp, a treble-boosted Hiwatt.)

All these things have moved the discussion along, as each additional instance takes even more wind out of the sails of those claiming to have "golden ears" or other magical ways of determining "mojo" or "fairy dust."

10. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

I think that this is an overstatement.

Many riots that happened during live gigs still remain unexplained and a case against smd components has not been ruled out.

Pao, TEPR, Ghast and 4 others like this.
  11. jimk4003

jimk4003 Member

I can provide no evidence to refute anything you just said.

12. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

More likely that someone snuck a digital pedal onstage in most instances of riots
    Neil Young has explained many times how digital sound confuses the brain

Agitator, Mr2D, Pao and 2 others like this.
  13. rsm

rsm Member

What is this "wrong" of which you speak?

14. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Flying cars. Everyone got that wrong.

Mr2D and Auditory Driving like this.
  15. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think TT users are generally more stoked about them being the fastest tracking tuner available in pedal format.

I, for one, use a polytune because (wait for it...) my guitar sounds in tune when I tune with it :eek:

hamerman55 and Mr2D like this.
  16. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Just as many people (or more) say the KTR does NOT sound as good as the original, and that some Klones made the old way sound much closer. I don't mind an SMT analog pedal, but don't see why I should pay more than $100 for one.

jnam, mule train, eriwebnerr and 9 others like this.
  17. Agent76

Agent76 Member

True bypass are always better, people were running like 12 true bypass pedals, I tried to tell people not to do that and they talked about tone suck. It was really bad for a few years. I like how in recent years companies were just randomly like "ok were going to start using buffers now." It gave people a chance to try using buffers.

We (including myself) thought Fuller would never make a SSTE.

Bill Finnegan would NEVER reemerge.

I really like the Archer, I just have the regular silver one. As far as SMT, buyers seem to not give a **** about through hole components. I dont think I have any pedals with through hole boards any more. I dont have many pedals overall though.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  18. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I think the only thing that's wrong around here is that there isn't some sort of safeguard that says "are you SURE you want to do this?" when creating a thread.

That and all the "Do I Need a Compressor" threads should all filter to another website somewhere far away. Or maybe another safeguard "did you search for this topic before creating this thread?"

johngregson and sanfi4u like this.
  19. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Btw, there was one thing that I thought that was exaggerated in tgp, and after reading the same thing around for the 10000th time, I decided to give in and debunk the myth - it's just another OD at the end of the day. Moreover, I thought it was all recycled talk that eventually became a widely accepted fact. I mean, it's a one man show at the end of the day, and there could not have been that many around to account for all this fuss.

So during a time that I had trouble buying pedals, I decided to build that Timmy (apologies to @PaulC , just being honest here, but I ve never sold any pedals anyway).

I have to say that i was amazed at how intuitive and easy it was to get a great tone out of it and more importantly what a great pedal to stack with it is! My fuzz faces and my rat sound glorious before the Timmy. I never had any lack in achieving anything close to that character before!

Sometimes TGP is spot on - thanks guys, thanks @PaulC !

(ps: apologies for the tangent)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Agitator, sanfi4u, Pao and 1 other person like this.
  20. Pao

Pao Member

How dare you? My blue LED pedal has saved orphans from burning villages.

jimk4003 likes this.