What was TGP generally wrong about? (pedal predictions, clones, etc)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pao, Mar 8, 2017.

1. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

Pretty much everything.

2. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Maybe TGP is always right and the rest of the guitar industry is wrong

3. Kevin.C

Kevin.C Member

This.Is.Awesome ! (for me IMO etc) :oops:

4. jordane93

jordane93 Member

5. Agitator

Agitator Member

Oh snap.

6. Pao

Pao Member

Not sure if serious about the Miku bit. Vocaloids are very difficult to tune and it's uncommon to come across a recording that's difficult to distinguish from a real singer. Besides, the human voice has a lot more quirks to it than any other instrument (articulation, dynamics, breathing, vibrato, etc). If you wanted to compare something that's difficult to tell whether something's real or not, you could've chosen drums. Programmed drums, especially humanized ones on SD, are pretty much on point. It's very difficult to tell whether it's an amazing drummer or a computer.

I don't get how Miku's related with online blind tests either. If you had an analog and a digital delay, and the digital delay was meant to copy the digital delay, there are a couple of questions usually asked. First being, is there a difference? The problem here is that if the digital delay sounded GOOD, then nobody can tell on a blind test which is which. So the second question, which is what most people actually answer unintentionally, is which sounds better? In the blind tests here on TGP, people go "Ah this one sounds better, so it must be the analog one (or digital one, whichever)." They decide based on that, not whether they can tell which is which. There's another group that will say, "I can't tell. But this one sounded better or has a better decay, etc". Then again, the blind tests have a small sample, when the results are given out loud some people who just guessed and got it right get some sort of confirmation bias that they can tell. I could go on. MY conclusion, if I couldn't tell, is that I'd just go for the delay that's cheaper or can do what I want (low mA requirement? tap tempo? presets?)

I get your point with online blind tests that react to your playing (i.e. drives), I wouldn't trust online videos that reacts to loudness of playing (because of how variable that is), but I'd base it off the idea that you have a base tone (clean channel of an amp) and this pedal changes the sound to whatever it's suppose to. I kind of get your point, IMHO, I just think you made the wrong comparison.

7. tarbuckt

tarbuckt Member

Why the heck would orphans burn down villages?

8. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

9. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

That if I bought cool gear I would be happy. Gear can't filled that God-shaped whole.

10. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Which treble booster?