What was the big deal with Magnatone vibrato and what pedal comes close?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by skiraly017, Mar 25, 2006.

1. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

I always read about how great the Magnatone amp vibrato was but I've never had the chance to play one. What's the big deal and is there I pedal that does that sound so I can get an idea of what I'm missing out on? Thanks.

2. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

3. drolling

drolling Member

The Magnatone amps had a 'tremolo' circuit that shifted the pitch rather than modulating the volume like most other amp trems do.

Had a chance to play one recently, and it really is a great sound. Nothing at all like the vibrato settings on the Deluxe Memory Man or most univibe clones.

I've heard there are other pedals that come closer, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them.

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Magnatone has a true vibrato: the pitch moves up and down. Fender and other makes so called vibrato circuits are really just tremolo which is the volume going up and down. To make matters more confusing, Fenders "tremolo" bar on Strats, etc. is really a true vibrato bar capable of moving the pitch up and down manually.

5. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

As described above, you're modulating the pitch rather than the volume. It's a killer sound whether you use it to add subtle shimmer to a rhythm guitar track, or go for something more pronounced as an alternative to chorus or leslie. Can be nice on synths too.

There may be others that achieve this trick, but the for me the Boss VB-2 is the deal. The VB-2 also adds a little tone-shaping character to the sound, which I happen to like a lot. On the other hand, it's not true bypass and based on three I've owned it tends to be a little noisier than your average Boss pedal.

Oh yeah, the Adrenalinn box does it, and if memory serves also the Blue Line 6 Modulation Modeler. Not quite with the magic of the now rare and expenisve VB-2, however.

Hope this helps...

6. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

The Austone Vibrostomp is supposed to be very nice, but for $300, it should be...

[​IMG]

I don't know why there aren't more stand alone true vibrato pedals. It's one that I've always been interested in.:confused:

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Its a bit unfair to lump all Fender tremolo circuits together. True, the Blackface tremolo is just volume up and down but the Fender Brown Face tremolo circuit has a slight pitch shift to it. Personally I prefer the Brownface to even the Maggie.:)

Bob

8. drolling

drolling Member

It does?:confused:

Drats, I got an M-Audio BlackBox, thinking that it had most of the desirable features of the AdrenalinnII, but turns out it's missing some very cool effects.. There's one or two rather ho-hum chorus presets, but nothing approaching true vibrato..:(

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Is this same thread on webervst? Magnatones (and related, rebranded examples) are an acquired taste. I've acquired it, and appreciate these amps for the vibrato and more. My nickname went from "mad dog" to "swamp dog" overnite when I started dragging my Custom M-10A out. The vibe is way swampy. Depending on settings, it can be deeply bluesy, or very modern, spooky sounding. It's hard to separate the effect from the basic character of the amp. The suitcase model I have sounds like nothing else. Other maggies (like the 213) are more tweed like, so you can fit the vibe sound into that frame of reference.

Big Bob is right. Trems are all over the place. It's unfair to generalize. Certain brownface trems are to die for, different than the maggie vibrato, but just as fine in their own way. Even in the BF world (where trem is often not to die for), my old BFSR had a worthy trem sound ... worked great in that particular amp. Another good one: the Juke 1210 is so feature rich, you can easily overlook the trem. Don't. It's a beautiful sound, and you can use it with the pitch shift vibrato at the same time.

On the pedal front, the Austone Vstomp is pricey, but it does deliver. It's that rare pedal that is built as well, and sounds as good, as advertised. I'm talking vibrato only. The trem side is pretty forgettable, IMHO, but that's not what I use it for.

Clean Channel likes this.
  10. erksin

erksin Member

I've owned a '62 Maggie 440 in the past (my amp is one of the ones pictured on Zack's site), and while a few pedals that I have owned come close - none really nail the Maggie Vibrato. I've owned the VB-2, CE-1, A/DA Flanger, and now the DLS Chorus~Vib. All were/are great boxes, but do fall short IMO. The Austone VibroStomp comes the closest based on the clips I've heard, but the price is too high for me for an effect I only use sparingly.

The Maggie Vibrato is more than just the pitch-shifting up/down warble, there is a little bit of a swirly effect too - not exactly phasey like a Vibe, but there is a real sense of air movement almost like a Leslie. My 440 wasn't even a stereo model and it had that quality - imagine playing stereo through a big 'ol 480 with 2-12s...

11. mprvise

mprvise Member

YES! The Austone is IT as far as I'm concerned. A friend just got a Maggie with the vibrato - sounds awesome. I played a Vibro Stomp a few months ago and it's the only thing I've heard that comes close. :AOK

12. erksin

erksin Member

I'm hoping the new ProAnalog Maggie is the one for me...

13. radioscooter

radioscooter Member

Watch how many more come out now in the next several months! :)

I had the blue Line 6 and it was close but thin. I got rid of it because I was really looking for an actual deeper Fender Trem sound, not a true vibrato sound and their trem was thin too. I wanted the real - "How Soon Is Now" dual Twins with the deep chop ability.

I had tried MANY little boutique trems over the years including the overrated Diaz tremodillo and finally landed with the fulltone supa-trem which is the best , IMHO.

14. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

Check out some CD's by bluesman Robert Ward. He plays through an old Magnatone and uses the vibrato extensively. His music is killer, too!

15. mad dog

A vibrato update: I recently acquired a Twilighter 260, a rebranded, virtually identical variant of the Magnatone 260 used by Robert Ward. It was hearing Mr. Ward's first Blacktop album that convinced me I needed to go this way. He was so in love with that effect, he never turned it off. Now, with 260 in hand, I know why. There are no words for how good it sounds. Thank you, Robert W. I can't turn mine off either.

The Vstomp will definitely get you close, in the same neighborhood. But really, the reason the original sounds so good is not just because the effect is inside the amp. It's the amp itself. Maggies have such a distinctive, beautiful voice, with or without vibrato. No pedal will make another amp sound like that.

16. erksin

erksin Member

So true...

Congrats on the nice score!

17. jvanhorn

jvanhorn Member

Go to:
    http://www.bigfootfx.com and check out the Magnavibe effect pedal.
    Then pay Jared his $200 some odd dollars! This pedal recreates the sound of the Maganatone vibrato right on perfect! Beats anything I have ever heard. Just an amazing effect. Oh yeah, these things are handmade and are the most solid well crafted put together pedal I have ever run into. There are sound clips there you can listen to also. I put the depth on about 3 pm and turn the speed all the way up and, bingo, I'm Lonnie Mack, LOL. It also does a very good job if your into Bo Diddley, Duane Eddy, etc. If you are looking for the Magatone amp sound without buying a Maganatone amp [I play mine thru a little Fender Champ 30--I can only image what it would sound like thru a tube amp!], then your prayers have been answered!

18. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Anyone building a tube based magnatron vibrato pedal?

19. mad dog

I don't think anyone is building a tube based TPS vibrato effect. BTW, that Bigfoot Magnavibe is the one. As close to the real amp as you're going to get without the amp.
    MD