What Was the First Movie You Ever Saw in a Theater?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by A-Bone, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I can’t say for certain which was first. The earliest I can recall specifically in a theater would have been 1973 Disney’s animated Robin Hood. I would have been 6 at the time. Something else may have come sooner.

I also remember seeing Frogs at the drive in. That would have been 1972 (age 5). There would have been two movies, the first more suitable for kids (can’t recall now). The plan was, I was to watch the first movie, then lay down and sleep during the second (Frogs). I peeked, and regretted it. Scared the crap out of me.

My parents often talk about remembering the dirty looks they got from people for taking me to see Jaws in the theater when I was 8.

A-Bone likes this.
  2. chikubi

chikubi Member

No idea, but my first R-rated movie was Slap Shot when I was 6. My mom told me the ticket girl was like, ”You’re taking him to see Slap Shot?” Mom, “Why? Does it have bad words in it?” “Yes.” “Well, it’s nothing he hasn’t heard before.”

Loved the Hanson brothers and the final scene, realized later how much went over my head, but I had a great time.

roadfilm and A-Bone like this.
  3. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Yeah I’m positive I saw other movies before Star Wars, but seeing it opening weekend is my earliest memory of going to the movies.

A-Bone and MCSS1970 like this.
  4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Seems to be a fairly common theme here.

Don P., frankg11 and MCSS1970 like this.
  5. Pally

Pally Member

That Darn Cat

Disney live action film with a troublesome Siamese cat. We had a troublesome Siamese cat at home, so I loved it.

First film that I paid to attend: Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry

A car-action thriller starring a Dodge Charger, with Peter Fonda and Susan George

A-Bone likes this.
  6. Pally

Pally Member

Star Wars IV opened on a Wednesday.
    I know this because I was there, and not in high school, for the first matinee.
    I was one of about 6 people in the theater.
    Few people remember that Star Wars was not highly anticipated, and was panned by most critics when it opened.

A-Bone likes this.
  7. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

First PG movie was "Jaws" (PG was a big deal when I was 12). I can't remember anything before that. Going to the movies was a rare occurrence.

8. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

The re-release of Bambi in 1966

A-Bone likes this.
  9. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

Son of Flubber (sequel to The absent minded professor)

A-Bone likes this.
  10. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I remember having the full page NYT advertisement hanging on my wall. Whether that was before or after it opened I can’t recall. But I know when I did see it we had to stand in line.

A-Bone likes this.
  11. es3

es3 Member

"Lonely are the brave" with Kirk Douglas is a first movie I remember seeing at the theater. It was memorable I watched it here a few years ago and remembered the story though I couldn't of described in detail every scene, from watching it as a wee lad. None of it surprised me watching it 55 years later, I remembered all the important scenes, the fight with the one armed man , the cutting of the barbed wire fence, the imprisonment, the hacksaw blade kept inside the boot, the escape, the actor who played Dennis the Menaces father on the TV show always saying "right" Walter Matthau being irritated at this practice of his partner saying right all the time.

It was when they charged extra for "butter "on popcorn and I couldn't afford it and I always got "Green River" from the pop vending machine in a urine testing sized Dixie cup.

I saw Kirk Douglas on a talk show and he said it was his favorite movie that he made.

12. A-Bone

It's definitely a film I remember standing in line to see. Plus they handed out programs and "May the Force Be With You" buttons -- or my dad bought them for me there at the theater. In any event, I don't remember programs or badges for films otherwise, outside of film festival screenings (and even then rarely).

13. 71strat

71strat Member

How the West was Won. 1962

We have a Paramount Theatre in my small city, and was built in the 30s, as a showcase for their films. Its a really nice structure, and has been kept up to date, but is no longer a movie theatre since 71.

They have concerts/functions there. Its got great acoustics, and holds around 1200 people.

I saw Carlos Montoya there in 76.
    Cactus early 70s
    Bela Fleck
    Flecktones
    Glen Campbell
    Taj Mahal
    Leon Russell
    Todd Rundgren.. and a bunch of others.
    The Paramount Arts Center, at that time known as the Paramount Theater, was one of the first transitional theatres built for "talking pictures" and was to be a model theatre for others around the country to showcase films produced by Paramount Pictures. The Great Depression, however, soon changed the course of events for the theater, as Paramount had decided to do away with the project altogether. The plans were picked up by an Ashland-based company with Paramount craftsmen providing the interior furnishings - and the building was then leased to Paramount Publix Corporation. Because of the change in plans, the original design by Rapp and Rapp was scaled back by one third. Had the Depression not caused a redesign, the Paramount would be three times as large.

A-Bone likes this.
  14. Ncp10

Ncp10 Member

My dear grandmother would take us to the movies. I don't remember the first, but I remember something about the Mau Mau's that scared the crap out of me!

A-Bone likes this.
  15. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

A-Bone likes this.
  16. reyleon

reyleon Member

Aladdin.

A-Bone likes this.
  17. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

My parents took me to drive-ins when I was small enough to fit in that ledge behind the back seat and window. I remember they watched Psycho, in particular and a bunch of cowboy movies.
    Inside a theatre the first I remember is Mary Poppins.

A-Bone likes this.
  18. A-Bone

The initial release in 1977, or the expanded rerelease in 1979?

19. RedneckDerek

RedneckDerek Member

The 70s King Kong

A-Bone likes this.
  20. Antmax

Antmax Member

Jaws. I was pretty small, 4/5 and the film was supposed to be Superman but I guess someone messed up. I was barely old enough to really understand what was going on, but that was the impression I got. Needless to say, I had a few nightmares of various appendages floating in water for the next few days ( I remember those nightmares more than the actual movie). Doesn't seem to have had a lasting impact, unless not being all that fond of water counts, but I do like swimming at the beach, just not in a swimming pool, so probably not Jaws fault :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Sevenmodes, rhinocaster and A-Bone like this.