• Please use the follwoing thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

What was the first solo you learned note-for-note?

Drifting

For me, it was Cream's rendition of Born Under a Bad Sign.

Clapton's phrasing had amazed me so thoroughly, still does of course, and I wanted to learn how to make my vibrato cry like his did on that cut. Good memories.

The last lick of the solo is just killer :bow

Also one of the songs that made me think about tone.

What about you guys?

bynt

"Whole Lotta Love". Followed closely by "Over the Hills and Far Away". That great big 2 step bend with the call and response of the WLL solo still just kills.

?&!

For me, it was "Badge", followed by "The Wind Cries Mary", the very next day. I was 14, and I wrote my own leads after that. I learned pretty much all I needed to know from those two solos.

Drifting

"Whole Lotta Love". Followed closely by "Over the Hills and Far Away". That great big 2 step bend with the call and response of the WLL solo still just kills.
Good Choice. I get tired of people shitting on Jimmy Page, or saying he's 'sloppy'. I have never heard someone cop WLL with that fire and attack he does. Killer, short and sweet solo. Way up there on my list as well.

jb70

Supporting Member
the first one i could do perfectly was marty friedman's solo(s) on megadeth's "hangar 18". the next one was a mike stern solo on "autumn leaves" off of a bob berg cd.

Lespaulsignature 74

Silver Supporting Member
Theme From an Imaginary Western...Mountain Climbing, I was 14 years old back then in 1970. I was a huge (not as huge as Leslie) Leslie West fan/wanna be! LOL

I signed up for lessons at Torres Guitars, Saratoga CA.
Ron taught me the solo to "You Shook Me All Night Long", AC/DC
Then it was UFO "Rock Bottom" off "Strangers in the Night" - I learned that myself.

DonW

Velocity Town Angel
Gold Supporting Member
"Heartbreaker". Pat Benatar, not Zeppelin although I moved on to LZ not long after.

xroads

You guys learned really difficult stuff right at the beginning...I started out with Bryan Adams 'Cuts like a knife'

rob2001

When I joined my first band at 14 I was presented with the end leads in......

FREEBIRD!!!! Hey, it was a new song at the time! Looking back, I know I faked a lot of it but I was havin a great time. Memphis strat and kustom tuck n roll baby!!!

Last edited:

Trending Topics