What was the immediate impact of ...And Justice for All?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by theroan, Feb 10, 2020.

1. billboy73

billboy73 Member

Yep! The Seattle 89 video is incredible! Battery from that show is like the greatest piece of live metal ever. The energy and aggression, they were on fire! Its why I had to have a white ESP Explorer.

theroan and 27sauce like this.
  2. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I didn't read all the posts on this thread, but will go back and do so. I was in high school and got the LP on the day it was released. It was a HUGE impact at the time, as Metallica was now a headline act. I had seen them twice on Master opening for Ozzy. The mix on AJFA was awful, but the songs were great and it was definitely a progression of the band, in terms of musical chops. The lyrics were pretty angry and full of judgement of the establishment. I remember thinking it was getting serious in terms of topics of songs.

I saw them 4th row at the Capital Center, with Queensryche (Operation Mindcrime) opening. We were there early and Kirk's wife, Rebecca, was hanging out and gave me and my friends guitar picks. The encore was "Breadfan" and Lars tossed me his drumstick. Pretty great concert event with all the swag obtained (also got Queensryche picks from Chris DeGarmo and Eddie Jackson). Quick photo:

[​IMG]

Heinz W, theroan, JPH118 and 6 others like this.
  3. ford

ford Modz Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I didn't really like this album much... I really liked Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets... this seemed a step down from those two...

ethereal cereal likes this.
  4. Pill's_Ghost

Pill's_Ghost Member

I thought the album was something of a breakthrough in that it didn't (and still doesn't) come off like an album of loosely connected songs, it's more like one big piece of music with different movements. 'Blackened' sort of stands out to me as being the most conventional song on the album, so it acts as a sort of intro piece to the larger movement that is the album.

I may pull up individual songs to listen to from the other albums, but I always plan on listening to the entire Justice album if I put it on. Just doesn't seem right otherwise.

5. Old Fart Thrasher

Old Fart Thrasher Member

Then you have Alien Ant Farm stealing metal album of the year from Tool.

Covering Michael Jackson to boot...

100%!

6. Old Fart Thrasher

Old Fart Thrasher Member

Watched a couple of those old videos and now this is recommended to me. I gotta say, its not bad and I like to hate on certain members.

7. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Late to the party, but I really loved it when it first came out. My brother bought the double LP. Played the hell out of that record and I eventually bought the CD. Saw them 3x on that tour. 1988 was a great time to be a teenage metal fan!

JPH118 and TubeStack like this.
  8. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I remember it standing out from the pack (and the rest of Metallica’s catalog) as one of the most unique-sounding records of the time (and ever, with hindsight). I didn’t understand why it was so different back then, but putting it on was like entering a different dimension compared to more conventional albums, especially with headphones. Like being trapped in a long, endless, air-vacuum corridor, with constant razor-sandpaper rhythm guitar and kick drums attacking (meant in the best possible way). It was a pretty epic experience for a 12-year-old.

9. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I honestly don’t think anything back then had an immediate impact. At least not in the way things do today. Information just traveled slower back. If it wasn’t national news, word just didn’t spread that fast in my recollection. But I was pretty young too.

10. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Member

So true. Yesterday I went to test an old cassette of AJFA. Still works. Ended up listening to the whole thing. Then I had to YouTube a bunch of Dyers Eve live clips, specifically to see how Trujillo handled his parts. Dude is an animal, props to him and his flying fingers.

My favorite clip. If you were ever the “wierd kid” in school, you might dig this. Good for him.

11. NeuromancerAI

NeuromancerAI Member

Important album for me. Took me a while to fully explore it.

Interesting...

JPH118 likes this.
  12. JPH118

JPH118 Member

i worked with Michael Barbiero, who mixed the album along with Steve (they did a ton of great work together)... aside from the bass issues (which I could tell he was sick of talking about), he mentioned their surprise the first time they put the multitrack tapes on the machine... there were so many edits, and the flutter from them passing thru the heads was so loud, they had to move the machines into a separate room. every single kick and snare were edited using a yardstick, with the space between them relative to the tempo of the song/section. This was Protools quantization about a decade before it became the norm!

NeuromancerAI likes this.
  13. B Money

B Money Member

I was/am so disappointed when I learned just how much editing was done. As a headbangin' teenager, we looked up to James and Lars as metal gods, marveling at their prowess. James' "legendary" right hand and unbelievable precision were high watermarks that we tried (and failed) to match.
    Well guess what? They slowed the tapes down and edited the living sh*t out of them to make them sound better than they actually were.

14. JPH118

JPH118 Member

The edits were only to the drum tracks, rhythm guitars were laid over them. Rest easy, knowing James is still a machine.

Hot In The Shade likes this.
  15. Occam

Occam Member

I was going into 9th grade in the Bay Area. The older cool kids generally seemed unified that it was a sellout album. I was more into Black Flag and the Dead Kennedy’s as well as Public Enemy but I really liked it. I didn’t like it more than MoP or RtL (my favorite then and now)...boy we had no idea how good we had it. The Black album really pissed people off. I think AJFA eventually grew on those that were Clif loyalists but the Black album was waaaaaaaaay too poppy and brought in the normies.

16. B Money

B Money Member

Maybe this is spreading misinformation, but hell this is the internet so who cares:
    I have read mention of a youtube video
    I can't find a link to it now, but MoP producer Flemming Rasmussen was quoted in a Rolling Stone interview that he had James tune down, and then slowed down the tapes in order to create the illusion of tighter playing.
    I'm sure all the other bands were doing it too back then, that music is incredibly difficult to play at full speed!

17. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Hadn’t heard anything about that, but hey, anything is possible! A certain prog-rock guitar hero used to track his solos 4 notes a piece across 4 tracks of tape, then comp them down to a master track... his 16th-note runs sounded seamless! I only know this because that’s how I learned to punch in on multitrack :cool:

NeuromancerAI likes this.
  18. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I was not a metal guy in HS and didn't think much of what I heard. After hearing One, I started listening to Metallica even though I never became a Metal fan.

A-Bone likes this.
  19. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I remember waiting what seemed like forever for that album to come out. A friend joked a few months before his release that he saw the album at the store and the cover was a fist. He was kidding of course because he knew how excited i was to get it immediately. Honestly in those pre internet days other than seeing a music mag article about the release date or asking the record store you really had no way of knowing when someone would be released.

When it finally came out (i feel like it was in the fall that year), i liked it but was disappointed in that i thought it wasnt as strong as Master of Puppets. A guy in our high school newspaper wrote a review on it and noted the lack of bass on it. The guy who wrote the review was a bass player, he is write though Jason Newsteds bass is not mixed well.

One was their first video i feel like it came out in the winter and it was cool but it was weird to see a video from them.

20. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

Haha, check this out. "B-roll" footage from the One vid. Guess this is from the AJFA boxset I've yet to buy.

Love the "abandoned warehouse" trope. Also, "let's Stack the JC120 combos on top of the Marshall full stacks" :rotflmao

Still awesome :dude