What was THE LAST amp you bought and sold right away? Why??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sugarlou, Jan 29, 2015.

1. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

What was THE LAST amp you bought and sold right away? Be specific if possible..

" I dunno I just didn't like it" won't really cut it

For me it was the Bambino by Reason

Some great tones but way too much of a compromise to get there.

The two channels can be combined but theres only a master volume when you do.

So to get max gain you had to dime both channels but when you footswitch out of

stack mode the individual channels would be dimed with no master and crazy loud.

So in essence you had to set it the way you liked and forget about switching or really compromise to get all 3 modes balanced.

2. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

Marshall 75 Reverb. Bought it used at Mars Music several years before Sam Ash bought em out.

Sounded great in the shop with a LP off the wall.

Got it home and found it sounded harsh with every guitar I owned. I just couldn't find that same tone no matter how I twiddled the knobs.

I ended up making 50$ on the sale of it.
    Used that cash to buy a BF Champ off EBay that has stayed with me to this day.

3. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Orange AD30HTC.

honestly just did not like its overdriven tones but it could've been the way it sounded though my cab

4. sugarlou

I almost bought an AD30..At the store it sounded good but I played one at a rehearsal studio and not so much..

Do music stores sound better? Is it the noise in the room?. My local GC CRANKS the house music...I don't get it but perhaps theres something to it.

5. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Depends in both cases. If you're playing out on the open floor then you're hearing the amp in a massive room, or their separate amp rooms are usually treated properly. So it's never gonna sound the same in your own house.

Rehearsal studios, depends on what kind you go to, some do their best to deaden the sound, some do their best to provide optimal acoustics.

Noting all of this, that's why i buy from shops who have a decent return policy. I rarely need more than 7 days with an amp to know whether it's going to work or not. That being said i've never got rid of an amp that quickly, least amount of time i've owned an amp was 9 months and that was a Jet City 100 watt head i acquired in a trade and it didn't really do anything my other amps couldn't, so off it went.

6. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

MI Audio Iron Duke
    Ok amp, but the clean and lower gain felt abit sterile and the higher gain was not what this 2203 Marshall guy could get into.
    Bit noisy even after a service from the guy who built it....(no, i didnt have the gain that high, and yes, i did play it reasonably loud)
    Again, not a bad amp, but its touted as a class above the usual Blackstar, TSL, JVM, Egnator crowd, but in reality is not. The Ceriatone jcm 2203 i ab, d it against smashed it in every way.
    Imho

7. 8len8

8len8 Member

Carvin V3. Didn't sound organic like a typical amp. It sounded processed and like a paramedic EQ was always on.

8. ifailedshapes

ifailedshapes Member

Dr Z MAZ 18 NR

I bought it for a steal and flipped it for a small profit.

9. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Late model Vox AC15C2 with Greenbacks. It weren't no good. Noisy as hell, among other things.

10. Promit

Promit Member

Carvin Legacy 3. Try as I might, I could not get a biting high gain rhythm tone with an edge to it. Really wanted to love that amp.

11. rippingrudy

rippingrudy Member

Bogner Shiva. Thought it would be a better JCM800. Couldn't be further away.

12. dohmar

dohmar Member

Fender Frontman 212R. Piece of ****.

Edit ; Sorry for the previous brevity of post. I get angry when I think about that amp.

It was just too frigging loud, its like 0-0.5 there was nothing then from 0.5-1 there was an epic firestorm of brimstone and poo. 1-10 simply sounded like muddy garbage. And that was the clean channel. It sounded harsh, magnetic, the "overdrive" was just 'over poo' and even running a big muff thru the clean channel sounded like the remnants of a 2 day curry binge.

On paper it looked to be perfect, it had clean and OD, 100 watts but solid state (so like, totally usable for my bedroom too ;P) and 2 speakers for punch. Boy did I screw up. I only got 40% what I paid when I flipped it, and I had to throw in a piece of **** line 6 multi pedal to make the guy take it. So I also lost the $200 or whatever it was on that line6 POS. It was this amp that made me think for several years that all fender amps were garbage, because I hadn't yet had the chance to hear any of the proper fender tube amps at that point, just marshalls, mesas and voxes.

Actually, I just rationalized a nice way to not be angry over it. So what, I lost around $600 when I sold that piece of crap and flipped the line6 piece of crap. I saved $3k from retail when buying a 2nd hand triaxis, which is what I'm playing now and it sounds divine. I guess you gotta burn some cash along the way to get where you want to be. Its all a learning curve (and frankly I didnt have TGP back then ;P)

-D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  13. xchemie

xchemie Member

Blues Jr Tweed NOS.... just an angry sounding amp, with terrible taper on the volume and reverb, and noisy circuit hiss. Apparently these $500 (new) amps sound much better after investing $600 in mods though...

14. sugarlou

I know what you mean about the Blues Jr. I sold mine quickly as well. I thought the reverb was really nasty. Bad reverb on a Fender?????

But what really pissed me off was the fact that you couldn't foot switch the Reverb in and out. So if you wanted a bit of verb on your solo or passage you had to reach down and turn it on...please. EVERY AMP W REVERB NEEDS A SWITCH !!!!!!

Amp sounded boxy and way too bright. And it had a FAT button I really didn't understand. It just made it sound a different crappy. The way the amp "breaks up" is ugly.

I read about the mods as well but I wasn't prepared to invest more money.

The biggest problem I have with amps is I buy some without trying them. Either by YouTube vids or glowing reviews. I also buy USED 99% of the time and that has bitten me in the ass as well. No return policy!

Im also guilty of being impulsive and buying high and selling low just to get something else.

15. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Supporting Member

Sounded very good when loud but that was too loud for my normal use. At lower volumes the clean/normal channel didn't sound very good. Then on the gain channel I still had to use a pedal to get the tone I wanted which I thought kinda defeated the purpose. Had to have bass control up really high and still didn't seem like enough bass.

This was my first EL84 amp and it just wasn't for me.

Also, it bothered me how when you held it by the handle to carry it, the one side was heavier and it was like lopsided. Lol

On a side note, I have 2 of their cabs and love them. If I ever need another one I'll be going with them again.

16. Dorman

Dorman Member

Fendee hot rod deville 4x10. Bought it used from a band mate to help him out in a jam. Sold it as it was far overkill in terms of power, and it was too cumbersome to lug back and fourth to rehearsals. Nothing wrong with the tones from it at all.

17. 80sboy

80sboy Member

jet city jca50, i just couldn't get any "bark" out of it, really fizzy sounding preamp

18. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Sold or just returned?

Bought and immediately returned: Mesa Express 5:50+ 1X12 Combo. Loved the clean channel but couldn't get the overdrive side dialed in to my liking. Probably more my fault and not the amp's. It was so raspy, nasally and boxy sounding compared to my F50 combo. Returned it.

19. cardinal

cardinal Member

Not sure it counts as an amp, but pretty much did this with the Axe FX II a few years ago. Just wasn't for me.

20. sugarlou

Sold or returned. Either is fine.

The point of this thread is to kind of offset all these "it's the best amp ever" threads you see almost daily. It would be good to get some counterpoint opinions.

I bought an Axe FX for my cover band gig and initially I was going to bail but that piece of gear has a considerable learning /tweaking curve that I worked through and came out pleased on the other side.