What was the most satisfying musical instrument acquisition of your life?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stinky Kitty, Feb 29, 2020.

1. ak301

ak301 Member

Those tones are outstanding

For me it was my Fractal AX8, just time after time I'd play around with it and just look at it thinking "God, that sounds soooo good"
    The only thing I've found that impresses me more is the Axfx III I picked up before Christmas.......just incredible

Mike J. likes this.
  2. Gig Young

Gig Young It's not about the clown Silver Supporting Member

Fender '62 RI Tele Custom mij

fantastic tones

weevilcaster and stanshall like this.
  3. jamme61

jamme61 Silver Supporting Member

Plexi ri head - the sound I was looking for but then the struggle to get the sound at useable volumes - but what a sound - it’s all there for me in that head clean to mean
    Tone monster

stanshall and NortheastHick like this.
  4. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

I would say a Martin 1964 D-28 w/ straight grained Brazilian I bought from a friend in the early 90's for $1700.

Another purchase was an immaculate Westerly built Guild JF-30 12 string that during the conversation to buy it uncovered the fact that the guy also had a 1957 Gretsch Country Club, also in amazing condition. Bought both for $2500.

A 73 Les Paul Custom natural that I bought new for $600 and good deals on some PRSi.

That's not to say that I didn't make some mistakes when I was young ..... like when I traded for an early Les Paul Jr. and then sold it thinking that anything with the word " Junior" in it couldn't possibly be as good as the " senior " version......LOL.

stanshall likes this.
  5. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Probably either the '70s Crumar Orchestrator analog synth I snagged for $75.00 at a local pawn shop, or the Hammond 44 melodion I got at dealer cost from a retail bud.

Because I scored both for stupid bucks, and because both really enhanced some records I used them on and sat beautifully in mixes. The Crumar I used mostly for the strings.

stanshall likes this.
  6. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

Ah - okay, I have another one:

I lucked into a big “Man Budget” bump: A first edition book I had gotten for a coupla hundred bucks turned out to be worth a lot - first hardcover appearance of Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Sold it to a top dealer for a bit over $4,000. Who knew?

Took the proceeds and got my first old guitar - a 1946 Gibson LG-2 from Matt Umanov. It was chock full of mahogany thumpy goodness. Lived with it, loved it, all good - then six months in, I note the bridge is slightly lifting. I take it back and Matt’s guy, Tom Crandall now of TR Crandall, and I discuss it - easy fix, shove some glue in there, clamp it, all good.

I get it back, all good - and then not so good. Lifts again. This time, Tom goes ahead and lifts off the bridge, completely cleans the wood and reglues. All good.

I live with it for a year, and realize I would use a J-45 more vs. the LG. I am at Retrofret (a stop on a many-month search) and after checking out ~10 old J’s and SJ’s (they have an amazing inventory at any given time), I find “my” J-45 - a 1946. I bring in the LG-2, fully explain what happened with the bridge, citing Matt and Tom whom they know. We work out a deal and I take home the J-45, which I still have, still deeply love and which is going to my son as our guitar.

The J-45 needed some minor tweaking and its original tuners replaced with replicas - you know the Klusons where the post didn’t come all the way through the stamped-metal box, so they wobble a bit? I hate that!! ;) - so I left it. I couldn’t get back until three weeks later - when I walk in, they start laughing. I’m like “what?” and they say that within a few days of our deal, the LG-2 was in the back of the shop waiting to be put on the floor, when the bridge *EXPLODED* off the top, scaring the crap out of the repair person back there!! It took off a *small* amount of wood, but was mostly the new glue losing its fix and separating cleanly. A huge POP!!! and then Jangle! Jangle! Jangle!! as the strings flopped about, apparently. Hilarious.

When it happened, they called Tom at Umanov’s and they discussed its history plainly. They were totally cool with me because I had represented it accurately - we’ve done many deals since. They also got that bridge glued down for once and all and sold it ;).

But man, my timing, with that thing popping within days of my trade, and ending up with our family J-45 - whew!!

Edited to Add: by the way, if a guitar I am getting doesn’t have a story, where’s the fun in that? Every guitar I get involves some interesting discovery, some new insight, a haggle, a handshake, a connection with a music relationship - it’s gotta have something. That’s what makes it fun.

Late edit to add: Hmm, I am discussing a ‘46 LG-2 and a ‘46 J-45...and this is post #46. Hmm.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    rusty and stanshall like this.
  7. Trem-o-dust

Trem-o-dust Member

Every new guitar I get. The feeling lasts a few months. Rinse and repeat. :D

Baxtercat and TNJ like this.
  8. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

For me, it was the revelation that led me to liberation. After playing an older Suhr, I realized I could let go (i.e., sell off) my high-end vintage collection -- approximately 2 years before the crash. This timely "market capitalization" has proven quite fortuitous.

Suhr, and other high-quality builders completley changed my perspective.

We are living in an age of fast cars and great tone!

After a few years, I finally bought a Suhr (shown here in repose):

[​IMG]

gill, Swami Asango and Nickstrtcstr like this.
  9. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Building my first Parts-o-caster/super Strat in late ‘83/early ‘84. I appreciate all the guitars and gear I have now, but that was my first good guitar.

Swami Asango likes this.
  10. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Recently a splawn and a les Paul.

Gig Young and Mike J. like this.
  11. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

The 1993 Custom 24 10 Top in Violet in this picture.

[​IMG]

Mike J. likes this.
  12. JRuss1525

JRuss1525 Supporting Member

My first guitar with p90’s

Mike J. likes this.
  13. Mike J.

Mike J. Member

I’m always tempted...but I still prefer ruining my back by carrying around my tube amp :)

ak301 likes this.
  14. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I have way too many strats to declare a 'most satisfying' but I bought a Korean Epiphone LP Studio Dot about seven or eight years ago for $100 at Guitar Center. It was priced at $180 but I pointed out that it had a wonky neck volume pot. He said they'd do $100 and I took it.

I did some setup tweaking, put in better pickups and the wiring harness from and Edwards but it was perfectly enjoyable on the bridge pickup when I first plugged it into my rig.

I'm not a Gibson/LP/SG guy but I've had four Gibsons and I 100% like this guitar better than any Gibson I've ever owned. Not 'for the price' - it's just a better guitar.

[​IMG]

15. wombat66

wombat66 Member

In early 1993 a good friend was in the AIDS ward at Roosevelt Hospital in NYC. I went to visit and ended up talking in his room till 1 in the morning (the AIDS ward put no limits on visiting hours). The immediate crisis he was in for was passing and the next day he was being released and going to his parents home in Buffalo. He thought he had at least another year or 3 and had plans to get a puppy and I was going visit over the summer etc.

Two days later I got a call at work that he had died shortly after arriving at his parent's house. I left the office, went to a bar, and had the most unsatisfying drink of my life. I needed to scream. Walked to Manny's and bought a Marshall 6101 100w 30th anniversary combo (similar to the amp in Nickstrtcstr's photo above), dragged it to my Canal St loft and serenaded the neighborhood for hours at excruciating volume. That was satisfying.

[​IMG]

nearly 30 years later the amp is sitting right next to me as I type

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  16. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

The underappreciated Marshall. The 30th Anniversary 6100 series Marshalls were ahead of their time. The Mesa Triple Crown has many of the same features that Marshall put in these amps 28 years ago.

wombat66 likes this.
  17. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I got a '63 Strat in 1991. I was, at the time, a total SRV fanatic. Getting out of an Ibanez USA Custom Super Strat and into that '63 was like a dream come true. Man, I loved that guitar. It was swamp ash, with a great translucent Mary Kay refinish, perfect neck with jumbos. Light weight and full of tone and soul. But, I was 21 and it was gone in a year to help fund a '70 Cutlass S convertible. Sucks having too many expensive hobbies.

Wish I had it back......the new SRV signature guitar I bought with part of the proceeds from the Cutlass in '92 was just not the same.

18. hellbender

hellbender Member

67 Hofner violin bass. Not the coveted '63 version but actually sonically better. I actually slept with it a couple times.

stanshall and ropiyas like this.
  19. middy

middy Member

My Dr. Z Jetta. I love it more every time I play it. No amp has ever had that effect on me.

20. evaporatus

evaporatus Member

LeftyGtrPlr, stanshall and Frond like this.