what was the verdict on powering a nova delay w/ a pp2+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by williamh, Sep 8, 2008.

1. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

Does it work alright? Will I fry my pedal? etc?

2. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

from my understanding, the Nova stuff needs 12v and 300mA to function properly...even if you ran two of the PP2 slots for 18v, it would only produce 200mA...

though i am no expert....

3. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I was reading through some threads on this today and it looks like you can run it off the L5 or L6 outputs with the dip switch in the ON position and it works fine. Several guys tried this and they said it works no problem.

4. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Well, if it matters, both the tc and Voodoo Labs tech support guys basically advise against using the PP2+ for powering the Nova delay, but I guess the question will keep coming up here because it's not what a lot of users want to hear.

5. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I am powering a nova delay and modulator on slots 5 and 6 with the dip switch up. No problems.

6. dverna

dverna Member

And the Deluxe Memory Man...might as well ask while we're at it...what slots and dip switch position to power this off the PP2+ (Assuming one has the Y-cable that can be purchased from Voodoo Labs)

7. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Well the truth is you can power the Nova fine with the PP2+. If it works and there are no issues I really don't care what some tech support guy says. :banana

8. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

It's output numbers 5 and 6.

I've had my Nova for about a month now and I'm running it off of number five with no problems.

I guess I could still get the Y connector from Voodoo Labs and combine 5 and 6 just to be on the safe side.

I didn't think there was a chance of hurting the pedal by under powering it - just over powering it.

9. radcliff

radcliff Member

Been running it off the Line 6 port with the switch on and regular cable for like 9 months solid.

Just make sure the pedal gets a solid power source when it's turned on....the only two problems I've had were:

-The power going out at a gig
    -Not plugging the cord into the pedal power cleanly

Other than that, smooth sailing

10. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I emailed Voodoo Lab on Tuesday and this was their response:

You can power the TC Electronic Nova Delay in output five or six of the Pedal Power 2 Plus with the DIP switch set away from normal.

So, there you have it...Thread over.:p

11. RickB

RickB Member

Are you serious or just being funny? :cool:

12. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

well, i'm serious that i emailed voodoo lab and that was their response...absolutely true..you can pm me your email address and i can forward the email from them to you.

13. 95strat

95strat Member

Which power cable do you have to use with the pp2? Isn't Nova reverse polarity? You don't have to use a "Y" cable either?

I've tried to get those guys to answer that question for the past two weeks and I get nothing. What e-mail address did you use to get a hold of them.

The reason I ask is because my power supply went south and I was wondering where I could get a replacement.

Thanks for the help.

14. electricimprov

electricimprov Member

The Nova powers with the standard center negative cable.

Question: Why use outputs 5/6 with the switch away from Normal?

My understanding is the Normal setting gives you regulated 9V 250mA, and the "up" setting gives you unregulated 9V 250mA. FWIW, I've tried both ways, and it powers up in either configuration. So what's better, regulated or unregulated power for the Nova?

15. electricimprov

electricimprov Member

But that would raise the voltage and not current. In other words, you would get a total of 18V but still 250mA.

Burkey does offer a cable (wired in parallel) that doubles amperage, while keeping voltage the same. Then we would have 9V 500mA.

But 250mA seems to be enough for it to work, so I'm not really concerned with increasing amperage. But since the Nova is a 12V unit, I'm curious if it would make a difference to raise the voltage. I have a Y cable here, but I don't want to risk frying the thing with 18V.

EDIT: Okay, it didn't fry with 18V, with a Y-cable from outputs 5 and 6, again in both Normal and up positions. I wonder if it's self-regulating and supplies itself the correct voltage no matter what you give it, within reason of course.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008