What was the very first song or album you bought ? ...( Mine is a right stinker !! )

SDB

Same here.

On my 10th birthday, my mom took me to the record store. This album had been out for a couple of months, and House of the Rising Sun was all over the radio. I asked the guy working there if he had the record with HOTRS on it. At the time, I didn't know who The Animals were, and I had not heard of Frijid Pink either, but I had heard both versions of the song on the radio. When he said he had it, I emphatically said "Not the OLD one, I want the NEW one that they've been playing on the radio". LOL

The guy laughed and said he knew exactly which one I wanted and that he liked that one better, too.

gonzoknife

It's a little hazy, but it was either Queen - The Game or Styx - The Grand Illusion (both on cassette). I could have bought them at the same time.

My mom had a job at a record store in 1977... I had just turned four and my Mom allowed my brother and I to pick out an album one Friday evening in November.

We literally picked out our two albums via the album cover art. We both picked new releases... my brother chose ELO's Out of the Blue and I chose...

Queen's News of the World. I would spend many many hours spinning that record and focusing on We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions... for some odd reason, my favorite was "We are the Champions" which appealed intensely to my 4 year old ears.

AWESOME album cover art and my little 4 year old mind was transformed by staring into the blank eyes of the deadly but emotionless robot...and the wide frightened eyes of the running audience members in the auditorium.

This stuff was Terminator before Terminator... a few years later when Saturn 3 came out, I was already on the dystopian science fiction bandwagon because of being exposed to this album at 4 years old.

Robert Libutti

Supporting Member
I don't remember specifically, like others have said. But I used to get those cas-singles. I got other cassettes in the 80s/90s (REM, Jesus Jones, Use Your Illusion 1&2), but one of the first I remember picking out myself at the store was Michael Jackson "Another Part of Me." I think the first CD I bought was Gin Blossoms ~whatever the first album was called. Do you guys remember BMG? If you worked that, it was a good way to get a lot of CDs pretty cheap.

I Am Misery

the first album that i had to have, and listened to over and over for almost a year straight:

Quiet Riot - Metal Health
honestly, this is my real answer (i also had a stack of KISS albums that i got from an older cousin), i had my mom buy me this album when i was six or seven ...but we didn't have a working record player so i never heard it until years later. i was not impressed, in hindsight i'm very grateful that the record player didn't work. i may have been scarred for life. along with KISS, i was happy just looking at the album covers.

... Motley Crue’s Shout at the Devil was the first I remember buying with my own money
this is what my brother and i really wanted, along with Def Leppard, Adam Ant (i was a big fan back then... yeah, 'Ant Rap' was horrible), and whoever else we saw on MTV. we didn't really have a stereo after my parents split, so buying music really wasn't something that we thought much about in those first few years. we really flipped for Motley Crue when 'Looks That Kill' hit MTV, but i don't remember either of us making much of anthing about getting the album. it was another two or three years before i owned a cassette player, and we never did have a working record player until i got my own around 16 or so.

Last edited:

Dasein

First album bought with my own money was Queen, The Game. Followed up by a repurchase of Sgt Pepper (my cassette was eaten years previous)... After that it was Foreigner 4, AC/DC - For those about to Rock, Rush - Moving Pictures, and the Beatles' Blue Album compilation... all vinyl... There were a few more after these then I started buying cassettes....

kramm47

Supporting Member
I hate having to admit this, because there are some amazing first albums on this thread.

In my defense, it was summer 1991 before Smells Like Teen Spirit broke. I was 11 and entering 7th grade at a new school, I was a terrible nerd, I was desperate to make friends, so I bought my first cassette, CD player, and first CD all at the same time - at the Warehouse!

Cassette - Forever Your Girl, by Paula Abdul (I can still do most of the words to the title track, Straight Up, and Opposites Attract)
CD - Cooleyhighharmony, by Boyz II Men (which I maintain is actually a reasonable record, and those dudes can *still* sing)

By the end of 7th grade, I did have a few friends, was growing out my hair, had quit piano and pulled my dad's old Silvertone out of the rafters, and listened to nothing but Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots. No idea what happened to the cassette, but I've still got Cooleyhighharmony bumping around here somewhere.

stanshall

1971 was the first single, mr big stuff, by Jean Knight. I was always embarrassed by that, but now I’m not so humiliated. Bass line maybe. Anyway I was 12...
(I also had cousins who shared 45s with us, so I had more than a dozen Beatles singles. And Johnny B Good before I ‘bought’ anything.

Fast forward three years, I met some kids, and started playing guitar. My first album was Mountain ‘Climbing’, which had been out for 3 or 4 years by then.
Mr. Big Stuff is and was a massive groove and was played constantly in our house from the minute it hit the AM radio, you should be proud Tommy

stanshall

still have every one of these records, which were picked out by me and bought by my mom when they were brand-new at Sears on Biscayne Boulevard and the long-defunct Jeffersons Department Store in Miami

With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Beatles '65, Yesterday & Today, Rolling Stones High Tides & Green Grass, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, first two Monkees albums, Between the Buttons, Magic Bus

when I was seven I started getting a couple of dollars a week as allowance and would spend it at the local candy store, which we could ride our bikes to, and that place had amazing albums and singles, and was a couple of doors away from the powerful and famous WQAM radio station, which put out fliers of the Top 40, all of which were available at the candy store ... first things I bought all by myself were the singles Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever and All You Need Is Love/Baby You're a Rich Man, Cream's Wheel of Fire, Fresh Cream, and Disraeli Gears, and Creedence's Bayou Country, and Tommy by the Who

Last edited:

jturner

Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
plot twist: The BeeGee's version!

I saw the HBO(?) musical and begged my mom for the $5. I must have played it 1000 times. I still like George Burns as Mr. Mustard.

next LP was "Hotter than Hell" by KISS. Mom made me take that one back.

Mine was from the 11 for 1 cent Columbia House “deal”
Now that brings back the memories!

Trending Topics