What was the very first song or album you bought ? ...( Mine is a right stinker !! )

steveRB

First single was Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever".

First album I remember was the John Barry soundtrack to the movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

I Am Misery

... next LP was "Hotter than Hell" by KISS. Mom made me take that one back.
my mom made me return the Beastie Boys home video, that was so embarrassing. she didn't make a big deal out of it, but i remember her telling the guy at the shop that it was "inappropriate for a ten year old" or something like that. she was generally pretty cool, but the half-naked girls in the cages and MCA sticking his hand down that girl's shorts backstage must have been just too much for her. :eek:

a year later she made me bring back the Guns N' Roses tour shirt with the "rape scene" on the back of it.

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
First good album I bought on my own accord was Gin Blossons New Miserable Experience on cassette in 1992 when I was about 8. Next was STP core and then Green Day Dookie. There was some MC Hammer, Kriss Kross, and Ace of Base mixed in there too though. Lol

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
My first 45 I bought was "Got to Get You Into My Life" by Earth, Wind and Fire.

My first album I believe was Nuthin' Fancy from Lynyrd Skynyrd. Prior to this I was borrowing albums from my older brothers and sisters.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
It was the "Cannonball" 45 by Duane Eddy. I have no idea what became of that record.

The first rock album was The Strangeloves', I Want Candy. I still have it.

tymj2112

Mine was a 6 albums for a penny RCA Record Club Deal.
  • Kiss - Destroyer
  • Kiss - Rock and Roll Over
  • Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
  • Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
  • Styx - Grand Illusion
  • Beach Boys - Endless Summer

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
never bought any singles. First album was Grand Funk Railroad's "Phoenix". 1972. Rock and Roll Soul was on the radio and I wanted to buy it. Still have it.

pnwkiwi

Thirteen and proudly brought this home - made my dad sit on the couch and listen - he sat there poker faced throughout and then said "if you're going to listen to Jimi you should at least show him the respect of listening to a decent pressing ..." whereupon he produced an original 1967 copy of Are You Experienced ... bastard.

Then again, he did give me this for my 5th birthday (I still have the original copy):

lucky111

Silver Supporting Member
My father had an amazing record collection coupled with great taste in blues, country, & rock ‘n’ roll—he also did his best to stay up-to-date with current hard rock music of the day. So my early years of listening to vinyl records were well curated.

My first purchase of a cassette tape with my own money was U2-Achtung Baby. Still one of my favorite records of all time!

My first two CD’s as a part of the introduction offer to Columbia House CD club from the Sunday newspaper Parade Magazine were:

Sting-Ten Summoner’s Tales
Gin Blossom’s-New Miserable Experience

Love these memories!

nowhere

Miles Davis Bitches Brew. I guess I was a weird kid
I wanted to find that one on my first trip to the "big" record stores in Vancouver but no one had it. I got "Miles Davis: Heard Round The World" and "The Trumpet Summit Meets The Oscar Peterson Big 4" I guess I was a weird kid too. A weird, trumpet playing kid. The Trumpet Summit not only had Dizzy Gillespie, Clark Terry and Freddie Hubbard but it introduced me to a guitar player named Joe Pass.

The first rock records I bought came a little later and were Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour, soon followed with Hendrix, The Who, Zeppelin...

tenchijin2

If I remember correctly, sometime in 1984 (when I was 9 or 10 years old), my mom wanted us to get our first vinyl single record. We didn't have a lot of money so it was a big deal when we went to get something extravagant like that.
I picked Billy Ocean's Loverboy, and my brother who was 4 or 5 years old picked Glenn Frey's The Heat is on. These were chart toppers at the time. I can't remember what my little sister picked.
Regardless of what others think of the selections, that is a very nice memory or me.