What was your first effects pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kanderson, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

DOD Grunge. My favorite pedal to this day. Wouldnt trade or sell it for anything. It has such a great, high quality sound, idk why it doesnt go for how much most botique pedals go for.......:bong

2. henke

henke Member

A white Dunlop Crybaby (limited edition), brand new in 1999. Still have it :) Though modded with Fulltone pots and stuff.

3. televox

televox Member

My first batch of effects were an Ibanez fuzz/wah, Boss Od-1, Boss Ce-2, Ibanez ad-9. I don't remember which came first, I still have the two Boss pedals. I wish I still had the ad-9...

4. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Like most other people here I got a Big Muff and a Small Stone, both the russian black ones. One of my friends played guitar and he was using one of the green muffs and its sounded spectacular, thought iwas getting the same thing...
    Sold the small stone but kept the muff. A few years ago the muff died and I threw it in my junk drawer until last year when I stripped it out and built a BSIAB in the housing. Now it gets more use than it did before :)

Now I just look for broken muffs just to use the cases, they're just so easy to work in!

5. DaGlenster

DaGlenster Member

Big Muff in the 70's ran it through a Fender Concert w/68 54RI LP.

6. hawaii5_o

hawaii5_o Member

7. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Univox SuperFuzz!! Then later on I got the MXR distortion +

8. doc36

doc36 Member

Arion SCH-1 Chorus, Arion SFL-1 Flanger, Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive. Not sure which came first (probably one of the Arion's) but I bought them all in the late 80's. I still have them but they don't get used.

9. chris k

chris k Member

Arion Metal Master...bought new in 1985 and I still have it, but its now missing the low freq knob and the battery cover.

[​IMG]

10. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

Yamaha GC-100 Compressor with Equalizer......had no idea what a compressor was...but if i put it on full it would overdrive my squier 15 watt practice amp...and i figured out all on my own that scooping the mids made my guitar sound way more metal. hahah wish i still had the thing.

11. Ding_Zai

Ding_Zai Member

Mine was a catalinbread dls, really love the versatility of it and it sounded great when stacking with a fuzz pedal.

12. Flincho

Flincho Member

Rocktek Metal Worker.

Ran my Vista strat style guitar through it, and into my Gorilla TC-35 "The Tube Cruncher" amp.

Soldered a DiMarzio Super Distortion into the bridge position of the Vista later that year.

Felt like I had tone half figured out, and I've been trying to figure out the other half ever since.

13. somecafone

somecafone Member

This is not my pedal but this is it.

Memphis Distortion pedal, purchased at the Academy of Music in about 78.

[​IMG]

The little SS amp I was playing thru had trem. Does that count? It wasn't footswitchable, but I remember the depth control actually clicked to turn it off.

A bit later I got one of those Ibanez flangers from the 808 series. I remember that big, square footswitch. That thing made some cool sounds when the battery was dying. :banana

A few years later, I found some cassette recordings I made with that rig. It made a glorius, chain saw kerrang.

By high school, I had graduated to a Boss pedalboard...the grey one that would only fit Boss pedals. I had a distortion, flanger, and an analog delay with the red power supply pedal as well. If memory serves, I plugged into the power supply and out of the power supply into the amp. A 25' Ernie Ball cord into the pedalboard, and a 20' Lifeline out to the amp. I'm sure I didn't suffer any signal loading from that setup. :rolleyes:

14. Unadan

Unadan Member

Ha Ha sure....:banana Why is there even a current run pedal named for a genre that effectively died in 1994? Bring on the DOD Disco Fly Pedal!

15. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

A D*A*M fuzzaround

kidding,

A vox V847 wah given to me by a friend

16. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

Bought a Green Big Muff brand new in the mid 90s. That will probably be the only pedal I'll keep forever too.

17. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

Ibanez soundtank chorus. Changed my life at the time.

18. gregc510

gregc510 Member

MXR Distortion+, still love that pedal. At the time (70's) it was the best distortion box I could get my hands on. Liked it much better than my buddy's Big Muff Pi.

19. dancehall

dancehall Member

Bought a Boss CS-3, CH-1, and Arion Tuner pedal off a middle-aged neighbor who was hanging it up. The CH-1 was good at least, I still have it!

20. darrelherbert

darrelherbert Member

Rat.

Still got it and use it.