What was your first electric guitar?

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
A '93 MIM Fender Standard Telecaster, still have it.
She was $309, new. Since then she's had multiple pickup changes, two different bridges and one nut replacement/refret. Her name's Rachel.

DarrellM5

1985 Aria Pro RS Wildcat, like the one below, that I purchased new in Cambridge, England. Stolen in Jacksonville, AR in 1990 and replaced by my insurance company with a '91 US made Strat.

OotMagroot

Martin Stinger HSS Strat-style guitar. It was like dark surf green. I did not research before buying it, and they had a SSS, a HSS, and a HH version in stock. I looked at the HSS and thought it would be the best because it combined the skinny pickups with the fat pickup - where the other ones had all skinny, or 2 fat pickups.

Little did I know, 30 years later I would still prefer HSS Strats.

My first amp was a Crate SS amp that had built-in overdrive. It fell face first onto my bedroom floor from the dresser it was sitting on. Whatever the fall did to it, it got the best, fuzzy distortion after that, LOL. I think I still have that amp somewhere.

plaidbeer

An Arbor black Explorer-like guitar when I was 10 or 11. I had a little Crate amp to go with it. I didn't sound like Andy Summers, Elliot Easton, or the guys from Def Leppard, so I never really learned to play and switched to synths.

russiancrowe

This '77 Fender Strat that I bought new. Also bought a Fender Champ and an MXR Distortion +. I still own all three of them 40 years later.

The twin reverb I bought in high school in 1980 or so.

teleman55

A Tele thinline. One of the early ones, single coils, before the widerange came out. Mahogany body, maple neck. That was a beautiful guitar. Saw it, played it, had to have it. Bought it new on layaway with money working at the grocery store (I was in high school yes I think we did get high there sometimes too). We were putting a band together and had some gigs looming. We were learning and writing songs. I had a cheap Kay acoustic from my sister and a cheap no name bass and amp rented from a music store but needed a proper guitar for gigs. So I got the tele. And used a Silvertone 1484 that my band mate had while I bought it from him on time. That tele was great but it was righthanded so I had to switch it around. Found a used old lefty tele about a year later in a store and traded guitars straight up. Then replaced the silvertone with a twin reverb. Love to have all that s**t now but really, it would be beat to death, used up and destroyed by now. Happy with what I got and that I still have places to use it.

Harmony H45 acoustic arch top guitar. I bought a pickup/pickguard combination from Lafayette Radio (remember them?) and figured out how to patch it into my Mom's stereo amplifier (a real tube amp she built from a kit).

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Got this Es-125tc when I was 13 in 1968. $125 for 8" speaker Harmony tube amp and this guitar. I hated the front and was ga ga for the cherry back, Sold this and bought a 61 LPSG for $135 and traded that for a tobacco 335 I was not able to yank a proper tone from this guitar. THe whole time I owned it, I had no idea of pickup or p-90 significance. I probably moved that wooden bridge. BUT, I developed being finicky cause it had buzzes. I brought it to a guitar guy and he charge me $15 to do something to the neck. It still lightly buzzed, just another way. The guitar suffered the repetitiveness of being over Gloria'd. GEE AL O are I A!!!!

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
BTW, I loved to stare at that cherry back. Made me want a Cherry 335, but Tobacco served well.

Trending Topics