What was your first electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 2leod, Aug 15, 2008.

1. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    The first electric I ever really played (other than goofing around on friends' guitars) was an early '60s vintage Byrdland with the pointy cutaway (like the one the Nuge played) through a Pignose. A college friend of the woman who eventually became my wife had picked it up for a song at a police auction - he didn't have room at the boarding house he was staying at to store it and he offered it to me to play for a few months. Up to that time I was strictly an acoustic player doing coffee houses, and that guitar was a turning point for me.

Man I wish I could have kept that one...

2. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Ibanez Roadstar.

I would have preferred a Rocket Roll at the time, but what can ya do?

3. sinner

sinner Member

My first 6 string Electric: the Strat laying there on the floor is this picture, with the Tortoise Pickguard, a MIJ FotoFlame job (the darker one, not the White Strat). Really high quality made guitar for not much dinero. Some of the other's in the family acquired after (some gone now, newer ones not pictured):

[​IMG]

4. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

A pre lawsuit Fernandes Strat. 6 months later I bought a new Les Paul and never looked back.

5. japhy

japhy Member

My first was an early '60's Music Master . I traded it in later for a Kramer.

6. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

My first electric was an Airline that I got from a pawn shop in Jacksonville Beach circa 1973. It was a short scale guitar with a bolt on neck and two pickups. A small tube amp (8" speaker, 6V6 power tube) was built into the plywood guitar case. Crude, yes, but it got me started. That little amp rocks - probably 5 watts or so.

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

(1959?) Gibson ES140 3/4T, kinda like the one on this page. Vandalized quite a bit over the years before and after I got it in the name of "improvements" to it. It was a killer guitar, and I still regret selling it to someone who wouldn't sell it back to me.

8. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I still own it... Me Mum got it for me in London from me Great Uncle who was a local musician back in the day...It's a 1964 VOX, but I have not been able to find out which model it is. I've showed it to many folks, but I can't find a VOX expert anywhere...In any case, she's sitting in my closet in the old case as well...Got it when I was a wee lad at the age of 9.

[​IMG]

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

No kidding, mine was an Ibanez Roadstar II -- I think it was actually a pretty decent strat made in Japan (back when MIJ wasn't considered a good thing). Maybe just fond memories...

10. ahab

ahab Member

Kramer XLIII

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

12. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Vantage Avenger. Sold it in 1987, saw it a few years ago in a pawnshop in Lansing, Mi. Shoulda picked it back up.

13. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

A black Memphis Les Paul copy.I had been playing acoustic for some time.In 1980 when my mom took me down to the local music shop and asked what I liked I pointed to a Gibson Black Beauty.lol
    I got the Memphis.

14. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Profile HSS Strat copy
    cheap as chips, possibly a particle board fretboard, but it played well, the Humbucker had a decent output.

at some point I decided it would look cooler if I scuffed up it's finish with steel wool and then doodled all over it in liquid paper and stickers salvaged from junk mail...yeah...we all make questionable decisions at some point in our past....

still a pretty cool guitar to slam out some rock on. all things considred it plays well for a guitar that cost less than $200 (in 1988)

[​IMG]

15. sliberty

sliberty Member

My first electric was a Greco (distributed at the time by Goya) semi hollow similar to the one pictured here:

[​IMG]

Mine was a two pickup model in this same walnut finish. It sucked, but I loved it.

16. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

A Kent tobacco sunburst 335 knockoff. Upon reflection it was a truly horrendous guitar but at the time it was electric love. Back then we had all these "common" Fender tube amps to play thru!

17. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

+ 1 on the Memphis Les Paul...except mine was tobacco sunburst.

18. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

A Vargas Fender Mustang.....Terrible

19. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Byrdland for me too........wish I had it as well. The Gibson and the Bluesbreker that my folks got me to complement it, weren't Rock'n Roll enough for me......sold them off to buy a pointy Kramer and a Sunn Beta Lead full stack..............what a dumbass. :jo

20. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

A Hamer Slammer double cut LP copy. What a painfully horrible guitar in every way.