What was your gateway pedal into the world of boutique?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Jan 23, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yes, at one time, believe it or not...most of us only had mass produced pedals on our boards. So when, where, how and why did you become a boutique user? It still amazes me when talking to guitarists outside of TGP, the blank look they give me with I drop boutique pedal names. They are obviously not addicted to the expensive and elitist world of boutiquery.

So what was your gateway pedal?

Mine?
    I actually took a baby step first, I started in easy. My first venture into the world of boutique started with some Keeley mods to my Vox wah. After that taste, I wanted more. I decided to dive into some heavy stuff. I ordered a Banzai Cold Fusion from Olaf. That was the snake for me, I have been a boutique user ever since. I didn't find TGP until years later when I emailed Pete Cornish about something and he told me about TGP. He linked me and everything. So in a way, I have Pete Cornish to personally blame for being my pusher. I would have stopped after a pedals I bet, but because of Pete and TGP...my addiction is stronger than ever.

2. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

The Mojo Vibe hooked me!

3. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah - I'm guessing 99% of the guitar playing world hasn't a clue about the 'boutique' stuff save for Fulltone...

My introduction was a Stamps Drive-O-Matic. Awful pedal, but gave me the bug to try the other makers out there.

4. asdf

asdf Member

Paul Cochrane's Tim/Timmy. :)

5. jpagey

jpagey Member

Yup...1997 Fulltone Fulldrive II, I still have it. I tried the Stamps next--for a day and yes it was awful! Then I got a 1999 Barber TP and I still have that.

6. webb

webb Member

In 96 I took the plunge and bought a Deja-vibe. Ordered it direct. It's been amazing to watch the evolution of pedal effects in the last ten years.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The original run of t.c. electronic pedals...

8. DavidE

DavidE Member

1995 silver box Fulltone Fulldrive. I was one of Mike's early customers. Got to know him on the old old AOL boards when he and another guy came up with the idead for the Fulldrive. I've had one of a few Fulldrives on my board ever since.

9. Ned

Ned Member

keeley modded ts-9 was first, then lovepedal fab50 first "real" boutique and then the rest was history $$cha-ching$$

10. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Z. Vex Fuzz Factory for me.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Fulltone Choralflange for me - I couldn't believe I was dropping almost $300 on a guitar pedal!

But since some might suggest that Fulltone sits firmly astride the line between boutique and non-boutique pedals (probably due to his high volume of sales) I would put forth the next venture after the CF into this wild and wacky world of boutique pedals - the Foxrox ZIM!

12. justicetones

justicetones Member

Mesa Boogie V-twin preamp pedal in 1997 ( I think that would qualify). after that! Analogman Bi-Comp right after they came out I think with the four knob.

I used rack effects only for along time

13. playon

playon Supporting Member

Way Huge Red Llama, bought one when they first came out.

14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

15. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

It was a Fulldrive 2 for me, hang on, maybe it was a Mayer Voodoo 1? Hmmm not sure now....

Until forums like this became more common the isolation of the city in which I live meant that it was difficult to get unbiased opinions about these sorts of products so I was probably a bit behind a lot of you.

I remember having techs mod things like TS10s for me to get more volume lift and a fuller tone. I remember trying to get some tone tweaks done on a TC Booster Line Driver Distortion. 'Custom Boutique' does that qualify?

Actually out of interest, who else had stuff modded before they knew of boutique?

16. Toasted

Toasted Member

MY first was a Fulltone Bassdrive :)

17. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

FullDrive II was my first, unless you count a late 70's Rat as "boutique." I guess they kind of were back in the day. To be honest, I haven't gone too far down the boutique trail. Friends like Sean and Jpagey have been kind enough to let me try a bunch of great stuff, and Alf modded a Fuzz Face for me once, but what I use works for what I do.

I'd love an Eternity and I love Sean's Twin 60 and COT50. Add a Zendrive to that and I think I could play for the rest of my life with those and what I have now, which is mostly NOT boutique stuff.

But there's always SOMETHING, isn't there?

18. woude

woude Member

ordered a fulltone fulltdrive & a zvex fuzzfactory last year, together. Those were my first boutique pedals.

19. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

20. thebot

thebot Member

Keeley modded DD3 last year. Now there's a Zendrive and a couple of Effector 13s on the way, and after finding this forum probably loads more. This site isn't good for my GAS!