What was your last straw? (quitting band content)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Sombras, Jul 17, 2019.

1. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

I used to play in Northern VA with a friend of mine who is a country artist, Shane Gamble. We played 9:30 Club November 2017, probably the highlight of my musical career!

2. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Saw them booed off the stage at a reggae festival many years ago. I thought they were great and was pissed, though i would have left too if i were them.

MountainCraft likes this.
  3. Hiighway Chile

Hiighway Chile Member

Was his name Ritchie blackmore?

stonem likes this.
  4. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Well as a guitar player, I gotta keep the stereotypes alive, ya know! It's my duty! :crazyguy

Winners and losers in all crowds... I've been in a several year long period of 'tired of and too lazy for' church.. But the LORD is the LORD regardless of what I do or don't, and this or that church does or doesn't do... He still has my heart.. in spite of me...

Politics, pride, gossip, and misunderstanding get mixed in with everything.. I like the teaching/preaching parts, the worship parts, but most everything else, well... I got burned out.. Volunteerism sometimes comes with a sign you wear that says 'kick me'...

but yeah.. I hear what you're saying loud and clear.. on both fronts.. Case in point.. Look at who Jesus hung out with, and who He didn't...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  5. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Some people just don't know a good thing, even when it's slapping them right upside the head!

That's kind of been my life story when it comes to women... :bonk

pickaguitar likes this.
  6. Sombras

Sombras Member

Huh. Not in any way relevant to the topic, but interesting that you would point this out.

Hofnarr likes this.
  7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Last band was an amicable split.

He moved to Nashville, I could not go with.

Within a month, he was opening for headliners, getting our music in movies, and networking like crazy. If only I met him 10 years earlier!

8. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I had quit going for a while before I went to the place that was the final straw.
    The only reason I started going there was because it was the only church around where the preacher wasn't abusing the pulpit to preach his political ideals.
    It was a very strange situation, because it was the same at every different denomination or gospel group or Christian rock band I was part of or had exposure to. As if you had to take a universal test to be "in".

As a side note, I had a guy in a Christian chat room dog me about the fact I was playing music in private clubs that served booze and bars. He was relentless.
    I finally asked him what he did for a living. His response was "I manufacture paint", and I said, "So I suppose that means you only make paint that is sold to guys who are painting churches or rectories". He said "no, it doesn't work that way".
    I said, "either it DOES work that way or one of us is a hypocrite".
    He never mentioned it again.

Axe-maniac and MountainCraft like this.
  9. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I pointed it out because it is quite ironic that it went from being a so called "house of worship" to being a place that catered to criminals.

edro likes this.
  10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

The intent was to point out the irony of it changing from a house of worship into a place that catered to criminals.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  11. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Religious posts deleted. Post within the rules please.

Sombras and rednoise like this.
  12. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Thought that might happen, although I would have preferred the opportunity to edit it.. (took a while to type out).. ;)

Still trying to decipher where the lines are as some such content seems to be allowed, but I understand that it's kind of a case by case thing..

13. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Well, I had typed out a long reply and carefully edited it, but I guess it went too far and it got round filed thusly by the powers that be.. :D

But let me say that it's all part of the human condition.. Everybody is a hypocrite to one degree or another, only differing in severity, frequency, and area of expertise.. I have met some of the sweetest people ever in church, and also some of the biggest jerks.. Likewise, I can say the same about Bikers, or places of employment, or any other place that consists of people...

But I'm kinda burnt out on church and volunteerism in general (at least for now)... Gonna focus on 'music'.. Much less contention around that subject, although some people can get pretty judgmental about even that.. Not burnt out on what I believe, just the social manifestation of all that..

I'll hang out, play with, or party with just about anyone/anywhere as long as it's safe/fun.. church, bars, out in the fields (notice the Gary Moore plug there..:p), at home, over the internet (if I had the bandwidth and know how), and I'm not going to lose my belief system because of any of it.. Don't like arguing anymore.. Used to love it, but the way things are now, it's not fun anymore... at all... I think I developed an allergy to it or something because of FaceBook..:(

(hopefully this version is more acceptable)

14. Sombras

Sombras Member

Thank you. There are two racially-tinged posts in this thread as well–one blatant, the other flat-out egregious. Hoping those are also being watched.

15. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

We dont 'watch' posts. If something breaks the rules, please report it.
    Don't assume moderators approve or read every post please.

pickaguitar and John Hurtt like this.
  16. Sombras

Sombras Member

Thanks. I did report the earlier post referring to "greasers." I didn't go back to see whether that was deleted, but that's as bad as I've seen on this forum and hope it was addressed.

Hofnarr likes this.
  17. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Good job reporting it; unfortunately, it's still there.

18. Sombras

Sombras Member

Bummer–and thanks for looking.

Moderators? You've already addressed religious content. Great. I'm assuming the ethnic slur "greasers" is not okay. I reported it. Where you at on this???

19. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

What could possibly be wrong with "greasers"? It is like "hippies" and "beatnicks", it merely refers to a clothing and hairstyle of the 50s and 60s, mostly referring to guys who kept Brylcream in business.
    Shanana was known as a "greaser" band because they played doowop and goose greased their hair.
    I greased my hair and wore a ducktail before I let my hair grow out and was considered a hippie. I was called a greaser then. And was proud of it. I fail to see a good reason for anyone to whine about such terminology.

Me Again, pickaguitar and stonem like this.
  20. rednoise

rednoise Member

I guess I have to give you the benefit of a doubt and operate under the assumption that you don't know it's an slur against those of Mexican ethnicity (though your mention that his mother was Mexican Indian makes me wonder...) Now do you understand why someone would "whine"?

Angeln, Sombras and Hofnarr like this.