What was your last straw? (quitting band content)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Sombras, Jul 17, 2019.

1. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

I guess the key there is the same as in marriage... If ya want it to last and be a happy experience, you have to intentionally find ways to 'keep it fun'.. All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy, so they say....

D4V3? likes this.
  2. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Ooops! Lol.. That's like a spinal tap moment!

3. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I have always been told "For God sakes whatever you do , don't let the drummer make up the set list".
    Well man, the guy that runs the band I am in is the drummer, and he does the set list, and the guy knows exactly what songs will go over in what clubs and what not. The dude almost has a third eye about such things ( not a brown one).
    He also sees what is going on in the club. He has a feel for who to let on stage and who not.
    If there is someone in a club we are playing who pretends to be a bit drunk and stupid, who asked to get on stage when in reality the dude is a ringer who is a pro and wants to try to get up and sing and put on a show to show the band up ( which they would have a hard time doing with us), the dude spots the guy and can tell.
    Which, guys who do that and try to hijack others shows are out there, and can be pretty clever about it.
    This guy is my sons age, and is the most professional as far as having savvy that I have ever worked with in my 55 years of playing.

Beano Addict likes this.
  4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

My funniest story, and I don't think it breaks any rules, is one of my early original bands.

Drummer owned a funeral home so we practiced in a garage next to limos, hearses, and embalming machines.

Drummer was a devout born again Christian and bassist was a Buddhist (at least he identified as one, long story).

At a tense practice they began discussing religion.

I was sitting on my amp and the drummer says to the bassist, you know, Ed, Jesus died for sins too.

Ed shouted back, well I didn't ask him too!

Drummer threw his sticks at the bassist, bassist threw his soda at the drummer, singer stepped in the middle to stop both of the, mid swing, and that was the end of that band.

If this post is out of line, Mods feel free to kill it.

5. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Jon “Bowzer” Bauman is actually quite Jewish... and a rather brilliant individual as well

Hofnarr likes this.
  6. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

LMAO! Self Awareness is a good thing! :anon

Mike Duncan likes this.
  7. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like it. Ive had it happen to me.

8. D4V3?

D4V3? Member

I don't think the importance of having fun can be understated. Here's why I think that way.

When I was much younger, I formed a band with some buddies I met in college. After college, we went on the road and played together for several years, and had the time of our lives. It was super fun at first but a couple years into it the singer and other guitarist had a falling out and both of them quit the band. I joined another band that was beseeched with drug and alcohol problems, and it was NOT fun. But since I had no other way of making money I continued to show up to the gigs, played the same cover songs I'd been playing for years (but not very well with half the band under the influence), and collected my pay at the end of the night.

We all had money problems in that band, bills we couldn't afford to pay, uncertain living situations. It got to the point that I dreaded getting up on stage each night. I started to hate going to work. All the fun and passion for making music had been sucked out of my life. I felt that playing music had become the only job (career?) I could do and I was only in it for the money. I felt like a total sell-out, a musical whore, playing whatever people would pay money for, which was 99% cover material. So I quit that band and went solo for a few years, because I found I could make more money playing solo classical guitar gigs than playing in a cover band. But even that got old, boring and lonely and no fun.

Eventually I got my GF pregnant and we decided to get married, start a family, get a real job, buy a house, a decent car, and have a "normal" life.

Now that I'm old and with kids, a family, house payments, car payments, bills, and a 40-hour a week day job, I *only* play music for fun.

Because if it ain't fun, why even do it in the first place?

Beano Addict and MountainCraft like this.
  9. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

The only rock band I was in was fun! We had a blast..
    Now that I'm old, I want to take another try at it...
    That last line is the main focus..

If I have to choose between making money and having fun. I'll ditch the former for the latter in a heartbeat..

I can make money through traditional means.. This is a hobby and I want it to feel like it... Would I like to get a little money out of it too, sure.. But that's secondary to the main purpose.. Fun.. and I want the others in the band to have the same experience.. 'fun'... I want it to feel like we're all friends, excited about going to meet up with each other at a party.. If it feels like a 'job' that we have to force ourselves to go to.. well, I can find real work that pays much better and requires less hassle to do (with far less homework)..

D4V3? likes this.
  10. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

He brought it. We were just a 3 piece with a singer. I can't remember the other 2 songs he ruined but the last one was Crazy Train. Can you imagine Crazy Train with some idiot on keytar? How I got blamed for saying something is beyond me.

So then he left only to come back 20 minutes later while we were still playing and proceeds to get on his knees and bow down to me repeatedly. Should have kicked him in the face, honestly.

11. jbviper4

jbviper4 Supporting Member

Truck owner, driver, booker and guitarist for a band in the 90s with 3 of my best buds since HS.

One of us, the drummer, was chronically late. Every single time. And he needed to be early with the damn drums to break down, hump, move, hump in, set up, etc. No FT job, so no excuses IMO. Put up with it for two years, and being late makes me really anxious. Pissy. Not happy. I grumbled and we got by.

One weekend, as I did have a FT good paying job, I rented a rehearsal space/recording studio for us to cut some originals, covers and to just play loud with a pro running the board. Not making Exile or anything, but $50 an hour for an 8 hour day was a significant investment on my part. Did it for the singer's birthday, as he was a solid dude who did his part.

We arrive to load out our gear and move it in by 9 a.m. when the clock started, and lo and behold, no drummer. He overslept. He needed to shower and get some breakfast. He'd be there by 10. We hump, load in, tune up and wait. Until 12 noon. We recorded some stuff without him, and when he arrived at 2:30, I packed my ****, took my truck and booking contacts and strolled out the door. He humped his set home on the bus I guess.

Still friends, but hell no, I'll never be in another band with him.

GenoVox and Pastafarian like this.
  12. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

What a muppet! Unbelievable.

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

Took a break from my band for personal resons...guys knew why.

Called a band meeting to plot the future. Bass player showed up half hour late and the drummer didn't come at all. Called him and he mixed up the day and time even though we had just spoken on the phone.

Wrote a text to both breaking up the band on the spot.

Felt really bad for a day then elation set in after I realised that neither one really wanted to be there but stayed out of friendship.

They stunted my musical growth.

I realised that should have done this a long time ago.

I'm friendly with both but our friendship is no longer. I would never hire either one for a gig.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  14. Lax

Lax Member

Just left my pop punk cover band.

Joined them on december and played a gig in january.
    Then guitarist/lead singer left for studies.
    They tried people without asking me and put the drummer's wife to lead singing, she never sang before.
    We played a half disaster gig in june.

Now they just made me flee with this combo :
    -No progress, week after week, and they want to rehearse twice a week
    -The singer isn't a musician, she just keep ignoring song structure etc
    -They don't want new gig until they feel ready, that's a motivation killer
    -They want a 2nd guitarist because they think one isn't thick enough (changing minds every minute...)
    -They aren't doing anything, we are giving back rehearsal room's keys and we have nowhere to go right now
    -Bonus point : They have bad temper and they blamed it on me last rehearsal

Honestly, I never thought it would be complicated to play blink182 songs as a band, lol

15. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Hahaha..

16. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

In the middle of the set, nice.

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

It's called "playing" music for a reason, that's right, brotha.

stratjim and nla like this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Sad to say, compartmentalization is a fact.

19. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I think I'm ready to quit one of the bands I've been playing with for around 2.5 years at the end of the year.... it's a group of old friends who hired me on as a guitar player. Originally, I just had to bring my guitar gear, but around a year in to it I offered to bringing my PA when the one we were using became unavailable. That's now become a permanent thing. Not really a fan of the songs, but that's not really a deal breaker for me when it comes to cover bands. More than anything it's just more time and effort than I want to spend on this project. I was already playing with one band prior to this band and with two bands my weekends are pretty much non-existent.

I guess mostly it boils down to there's only so many hours in a week and I want to readjust how I'm spending mine. I'd spend time learning 4-5 songs we were going to add on the setlist, then we'd only add 1-2 of them. The band is pretty much locked in to 4-5 places and all but one of them are late night (1 AM) so I'm not getting home until 2:30 or 3 and it kills my next day. The other band I play with only has one place that has gigs that ends after 11 and it is less than 10 minutes of my house.

I don't really have any issues with any of the band members and I'd think since they have steady gigs it would be easy to find someone.

Plus, I've got a music buddy who has some decent originals he wants to record and I just don't have the time/energy to do it. It has been about 4-5 years since I recorded original stuff other than ideas at home. I guess my intent for next year would be to remain with the band I've been with the longest and record an album of the original stuff.

I don't really think there's a "last straw", any dramatic event, or anything like that....

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    MountainCraft likes this.
  20. Devnor

Devnor Member

A good singer I had been working with in a classic rock band formed a side group playing mostly our set list. He started booking that band into places we were already playing. Gigs slashed by 50% or more. He lied about things the entire time until it became clear to everyone else what was happening. We had just hired a new guitarist, he's working thru 40 tunes with all this happening. We played a few rough gigs...singer & new guitarist not quite on the same page. Singer starts berating the band onstage after a screwup, live mics the whole 9 yards. Video picking this stuff up. Asked him to stop, he keeps it up thru a few more shows. His whole vibe was ****** for months - it burned me out. So I'm on gig hiatus and retired from playing bass in classic rock cover bands.