What was your most problematic amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wyatt Martin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

I came in here to say Marshall JTM60. I have the 3X10 version. It was fixed at least twice under warranty including getting a new output transformer. Had it repaired a few other times as well. To top it off it blew a fuse and I somehow lost the fuse holder and could never find a replacement. I use it now as a cab for my DSL. It's a shame too because I actually really liked the sound of it.

Brooks and muzishun like this.
  2. moidan

moidan Member

Fuchs ODS classic - bought new - does not work properly from the first day until today - send it a few times to a fuchs recommended dealer - was in contact with Andy Fuchs - but it looks like nobody can or will help me - Dealer is out of business - Fuchs does not send me a new one because the say warranty is a dealer thing. That is the story if you buy a Fuchs Amp in Europe.

3. halcyon

halcyon Member

Mesa Mark V:35. I had to drive it to the Mesa factory in Petaluma three times in about as many months. Before that, a Mesa Express 5:25. In short: I’ve learned my lesson.

Toby Krebs likes this.
  4. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

My Ampeg/Lee Jackson VL1002.
    It sounded great for the first couple of years, then died. It was a paperweight out in the garage for 10+ years. @Achewood_Johnson brought it back to life.

5. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Really anything older than me. The noise levels can be pretty high and techs aren't usually interested in (fully) eradicating the gremlins.

For something specific… I'll choose the 70s V4B. I bought it on Reverb. Dropped it off at the tech the day it arrived. Picked it up. It made burning smells after extended use. Took it back to the tech. Picked it up and later it blew fuses and continued smelling funny and making funny noises. Worked through the tube issues Brought it to a different tech. After a few months in the shop, the issues other than the noises were straightened out. It's still noisy but it's not burning or blowing fuses anymore. I wound up spending more than half what I paid for the the amp in parts and labor to get it really back on its feet and it spent months in the shop.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  6. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Hot Rod DeVille for me. I was young when I bought back in the 90s. Luckily it was my amp bad amp purchase.

7. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

It's a tie:

Two-Rock (I forget the name - it was about 18 years ago)
    Engl - Ritchie Blackmore head (same - 18 years ago)

They didn't work. Period. Got my money back on both thankfully.

8. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I mainly played solid state amps and have had basically no maintenance problems. Been playing my Mesa TC-50 for 3+ years and aside from tubes.. I've had zero issues.

9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    My problems were not mechanical in nature, but all of my Boogie amps were just not user friendly to me. I had a hard time dialing in both channels with all of them.
    I finally woke up and sold them all and went heavily Marshall. Best amp decision I ever made. I sincerely love my Marshall amps.

10. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Same experience here....Everyone loved the sound of this amp when I was gig'n in Seattle, BUT I always had a back-up with me @ all times! It's the only amp I've owned that literally caught fire during a show and ended it's life. It was one of the funnier moments I've had playing live! I was right in the middle of a face-melter solo and a couple guys in the front row were pointing @ me. I thought they were giving me props until I turned around! The amp was still screaming, but smoke was rolling out of it like bread burning in a toaster!

I played the same venue 2 weeks later and you could still smell the burnt transformer!

Toby Krebs and HoboMan like this.
  11. Rayf

Rayf Member

My first amp was a Crate G130 with Celestion G12m-70 speakers. First the chorus died, then one of the channels blew. Then the whole thing died. I tossed the amp but kept the speakers because they were "Celestions". Then I learned that they're possibly the worst speaker Celestion ever made and left them in an old apartment.

Oh, I also have a 1960's Univox that would electrocute everyone. Not sure that counts since it was our fault, not so much the amp.

12. DonP

DonP Member

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I was listening to a metal speaker shoot-out and thought the 70 sounded pretty good. I've never had any in person.

For troublesome amps, I've been lucky I guess.

My 1998 DSL100 bought new is considered by others junk because of bias issues, but I've had no issues with it. Still going strong.

My two AOR 50's had some volume fade in and out issues, but these were resolved by replacing a bad PI tube and jumpering the Fx loop. The combo has a non-working reverb I need to look into.

I have a bunch of other amps, four from the 60's, all working good.

13. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

Peavey Triumph lol! POS. I gave up on tubes/tube amps for a long time in the 90s as tubes became hard to source.Played through PA speakers/QSC power amps and horrible modeling pedals.Awful tones but five nights a week they got me buy. I recently sold a DSL401 that I completely went through.Great amp if the problems from the factory are corrected. Sold that and a DSL15h for a brand new Arctic White Player Series Telecaster last week lol! Getting rid of a few more and will pick up a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe I tried yesterday.Those things kill!

14. muzishun

muzishun Member

Ya it was a good sounding amp for sure. The authorized tech i took it to told me he was seeing a lot of them come in.

Brooks likes this.
  15. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

\

yeah, I heard the same. I don't think they dissipated heat well.

16. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

VHT Pittbull. Power tubes red plated like no ones business. Didn’t care for its tone either.

17. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Same here, mine had previously caught fire and had all kinds of problems. It was never loud enough, which shouldn't have been the case on a 50 watt amp. That was my second tube amp and first head.

Another problem child was my first tube amp, a Crate VC30. Nice enough sounding amp but a lot of problems due to poor heat dissapation, which melted solder connections. It sat dead for many years as well until I got it fixed to sell it.

Good thing I didn't give up on tube amps after those first two experiences!

18. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

70's Orange Graphic 120. Went through tubes and fuses constantly, couldn't get it properly/permanently fixed. This was in the late 70s.

19. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Bad Cat Hot Cat. Got a head and cab, after many delays I finally brought it home only to discover the reverb circuit was screwing up the rest of the channel. Kept getting it fixed only to find more issues. Eventually cut my losses and joined the Divided By 13 gang.

20. mdubya

mdubya Member

Marshall Class 5.

Is was perfectly reliable. It just sounded awful.

It looked so cool, and I desperately wanted it to sound as good as it looked.

But no dice. Terrible tone no matter what I did. Even through vintage G12M's; awful.

Vox AC4TV was a close second.

ETA: photo.

[​IMG]