What was your worst amp decision?

aynirar27

Preferred Senior Member
Platinum Supporting Member
"Buy this Rivera. Its got fender cleans AND marshall dirt!"

axpro

Worst Purchase? A peavey stereo chorus 2x12 from a buddy when i was in College... traded it for a classic 30.

Worst Butcher Job? Teaching myself about amp modding by reading Steve Ahola's website and butchering said classic 30 trying to make it sound like a marshall stack... I didn't realize that you couldn't mod a Gremlin to be a Corvette....

Worst Selloff? Getting rid of my Badcat Hotcat 30R... I sold it and got my money back out of it, but for me it was the holy grail amp... it sounded the BEST for my playing style... But i needed the cash and it was gathering dust in my apartment.... sadly a month later i started jamming at a friends and ended up buying a Crate BV60 head out of necessity.... THAT hurt....

buying a jcm 900 hi gain dual reverb head new...Was early 90's and I was in my late teens...Thought the old boogie 1x12 I had wasn't RAWK enough...stupid kid...

Melj

I disliked my Swart AST Pro immensely. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with an amp...

Bogner Goldfinger, which was a great amp in a dodgy cabinet.

VHT super 30, was either spiky harsh or woofy and wooly...and too loud or too quiet.

Oh, and the Mesa Dc 5. Found it a bit stiff.

Hmm, also the Pinnacle Twin 30, allegedly a straight clone of anac30.... In reality a bland and pale imitation.

I can't say I regret selling any of the amps I used to own.

fabulusfab777

Gold Supporting Member
Oh.. i just remember one.

Back when i didn't know much about gear, in the early 90's, i decided to finance my first big gear purchase. I went for a 100 watt solid state Beckemer amp (2x12 combo), mind you not THAT bad of an amp. Plus a Digitech multi-effect (RP-6 if i remember) plus a Guitar/Syth pedal, a Roland GR-30 with a midi pickup installed on my Les Paul. I had a shitload of different sounds availbable but none that sounded nice or real....

I could have bought a really nice tube amp for the same $$

We call it learning!

Gearopenia

Silver Supporting Member
First amp when I started playing: Fender Ultimate Chorus. The store manager (TR-100 here.... hi Tommy!) tried to steer me to something with tubes plus a pedal, but nooooo, I had to get solid-state with built-in chorus.

Was back a few months later looking to trade it in. My first step on the gear journey.

=K

did the same thing. man that amp sucked. I was a tone deaf 15 year old kid and I couldnt get it returned fast enough. they almost didnt take it back. guess it sucked that bad.
since I got my dads money back it wasnt that big of a deal.

believe it or not the bigest regret in the last 5 amps( 10 years) was a divided by 13 EDT 13/29.
sounded good but for the $$ theres better. so I traded it for Matchless.

Biggest selling regret was selling my SC30 10 years ago.
biggest not buying mistake was when Matchless went out of business and a local music store was blowing out their inventory. they had a clubman, chieftain and the SC30 I bought. I could have probably gotten a good deal had I offered to buy them all!!!

tele118

the worst was a Fender Silverface Bassman 100 4X12 stack for a Fender Roc Pro 1000 combo, trading that in for a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT, trading that in for an Ibanez TS9DX. So yeah, basically when the dust settled, a monster silverface power stack for a tube screamer. oh well.
Reading this hurt ME! Now that says something :roll

Hairpin Turns

A Roland Jazz Chorus I owned briefly in the late 80's. Not a bad amp by any means, in fact it sounded gorgeous, but the wrong decision for me as it was too limiting.

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
Trading my 71 Marshall Super Tremolo away, I did get a very good amp in return (Komet 60) but that Super Trem had that special magic....it was one of the great ones!

luv2playm

Silver Supporting Member
I actually got my name on the list for an Express and a Liverpool, but I still was too late to the party. Sigh.

Mistakes...we've all made a few. Mine is as clear as yesterday and every once in a while I get a horrific feeling as I recall that fateful amp decision of 1987.

Friend: "Hey Steve, you should put in an order for one of these Trainwreck Express heads. I played one not too long ago and you'd love it. Like a Marshall but its got its own thing happening. It feels like it's gonna explode!".

Me: "How much is it?"

Friend: "$1200. I know, I know, it's a lot of money and there's a 6-9 month wait, but TRUST ME, it's worth it!"

Me: "Are you kidding? Thing looks like a freaking vintage radio...and what's with the girly naming?"

Friend: "You need to listen to this thing"

Me: "Yeah right. I can get a Randall RG-80 and a Digitech DSP-128 with tons of money to spare. RIGHT NOW. What a bunch of crap. 6-9 month wait. How's gonna pay that kind of cash for that?"

Friend: "You'll be sorry"

Yep.:bonk

What was your worst amp decision?

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Trading my 71 Marshall Super Tremolo away, I did get a very good amp in return (Komet 60) but that Super Trem had that special magic....it was one of the great ones!
I traded a smokin' Komet K60 for a killer '71 Marshall Super Tremolo.

Then, I sold the killer '71 Marshall Super Tremolo.

Look who's cryin' now!!!! Lol.

I wield a paddle on the Ship of Fools...

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I honestly don't think I've ever made a truly bad amp decision.

Probably the worst purchase I made was for a DSL401. Got a great deal on it and slightly profited from it and it wasn't horrible but to be honest, it kind of made me shy away from Marshalls in general. I'd had a couple others before but now, I'd strongly be tempted to go boutique over a real Marshall.

Marc Roy

Buying a Boogie Triaxis/VHT power amp rig instead of a Bogner Ecstacy head that I really wanted at the time. I was playing in a cover band and needed to cop a lot of tones so of course I figured a programmable preamp and effects gear was the way to go. I spent more time trying to dial it in than actually playing! I finally got rid of it for way less than I had paid and swore off rack gear for good.

IM4Tone

the worst was a Fender Silverface Bassman 100 4X12 stack for a Fender Roc Pro 1000 combo, trading that in for a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT, trading that in for an Ibanez TS9DX. So yeah, basically when the dust settled, a monster silverface power stack for a tube screamer. oh well.
OUCH :bonk:Spank
You win! Nobody will top that!

Trending Topics