1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What WCR pickup do I want?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tjs, Jan 9, 2006.

1. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I'm planning on throwing some WCR pickups in my axe (mahogany body, maple top, maple/walnut neck, rosewood fingerboard, 25.5" scale). I've pretty much decided on a Fillmore for the bridge position, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to put in the neck.

The tone I'm looking for is somewhere in the vicinity of Warren Haynes in Soulshine (his neck position tone, not the bridge one which is more edgy/cutting) meets Robben Ford in Golden Slumbers. Tight bottom end, thick but not muddy or honky midrange, smooth but clear highs with extremely minimal edginess. What WCR pickup would be best suited for this type of tone?

2. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

IMO...DarkBurst in the neck should do the job. It does for me.
    Sounds great thru my Diaz. :JAM

And I would advise getting a RS Guitarworks harness as well.
    Don't go 1/2 way!!

3. brianf

brianf Member

Agree 100%!!!

brianf

4. baj2k

baj2k Supporting Member

A Darkburst in the bridge position and a Goodwood for the neck. And yes, Jim let's you mix pups.

I also love the Fillmore's for a bit more of a smooth mid-range tone.

RS Guitarworks spec'd CTS pot's and hovland caps are a must for all pups changes I do as well.

5. Hello,

I just put a Goodwood bridge/Darkburst neck in a customer's guitar with similar wood/construction to yours. The pickups sound great. The particulars - Bridge- Very cutting, but not harsh. Cleans up nicely as the volume is rolled off. Great clean sound. Incredible dirty, with killer thumb harmonics. OK, now the neck - Articulate, great string separation, no muddiness with high gain, not as "fat" as I expected when clean. I played it through a Boogie Mark 3 that lives at my shop and did not adjust. I just plugged it in and went. I have found that Jim's pickups always sound great, having installed them in a number of guitars. If I were looking for a really warm neck, I would probably go with the Goodwood. If you play the neck dirty, you will love the Darkburst. I am putting a set of Goodwoods in the shop 335, so come by and check them out if you're in the neighborhood. Of course the Fillmores...

Take care,

Geoff
    www.sfguitarworks.com

6. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Just thought I'd add that, in addition to the aforementioned lead tones, I also need to be able to get outstanding clean tones from the neck pickup. It needs to be warm and full-sounding enough for jazz comping and single note runs, yet clear and open enough for full chord strumming (obviously, going from one type of clean sound to the other will require adjusting amp and/or guitar tone control settings. I just need the pickup to be versatile enough to excel in both situations.)

Also, how well do the Goodwood, Darkburst, and Crossroads neck pickups blend with a Fillmore in the bridge? Do they "mesh" well, or is there a jarring change when switching from one to the other?

Thanks.

7. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Also, to give an idea of the kind of high end I'm looking for in a neck pickup, I'm looking for something warm and smooth (i.e. little edginess/sharpness to the sound), but still possessing a balanced high frequency component (in other words, it doesn't sound like the tone control is rolled down). The highs are still there; they just aren't as pointed as they are in most pickups.

I know that's getting pretty picky, but I've been searching for what seems like forever for a pickup that will get that sound.

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I don't think the Fillmore bridge goes well with a Darkburst neck myself. At least it doesn't in my Prs Custom 24. The tapped sounds are cool, and blending the 2 are cool, but when I switch from one to the other the voicing just seems too different to me.

How about a Fillmore neck with a Fillmore bridge. That would be my recommendation, or possibly a Crossroads neck.

I'm sure you'll get alot if conflicting advice.:)

I'm starting to dig the Fillmore bridge though. A jarring change is exactly what I would say when switching from bucker to bucker.

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

The best advice is to ask Jim at Wagner and go from there. He is a pretty insightful guy.

Personally, I have no issues with my Darkburst/Darkburst setup in my H/H Hamer Custom Studio. I don't own other WCR neck humbucker neck pickups, so it is hard to comment without simply guessing.... so I won't.

10. gleno

gleno Guest

I have a set of Crossroads, Fillmores,Goodwoods, and the Herc..I think that the Crossroad neck pup is the most awesome neck pup..I have tried about every combination of these sets in a R8 LP..The Goodwood is the almighty bridge pup and the Crossroads neck rules..I don't have the Darkburst...yet, so I can't say for those..THe Crossroads just have that overtone, clear, creamy kinda tone..absolutely NO muddiness. My opinion!!

11. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

which would you put in the neck and bridge positions of a HSH strat?

12. tjs

tjs Senior Member

For those of you who have tried mixing WCR pickups, what WCR neck pickups (if any) go well with a Fillmore bridge (besides, of course, the Fillmore neck)?

13. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I just traded out the bridge of my DarkBurst set #3 for something called a Goodwood Plus-I can now kill small animals and children at 50 paces...Very PAFish and loads Of A$$ in the lower midrange-krrrangalicious,actually...

14. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

I just put a set of Fillmore's in my '70 SG Std- HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP !!!!!!!

This guitar just came ALIVE!!! The Fillmore bridge is a bit bright for me- I have to roll the tone down to about 3 to get the tone I like, but it still sounds really good. The Fillmore neck sounds really nice- I get a good clean tone- I could do jazz- the highs roll off nicely, and its not overly bright (like the bridge seems to be)- I honestly don't see how this set (or any set of WCR's) can do you wrong.

The best way is to try 'em all!!! That is the ONLY way you will ever know what's best for you and your ears.......I've been a HUGE T. Holmes fan, but I'm tired of paying the prices- the WCR's are the cat's meow at a price I can afford. Jim knows his stuff- his recommendation would certainly carry weight on my decision.

Good Luck !!!!!!!

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

Don't foget Wolfetone pickups. I just installed a Wolfetone Marshallhead into my LP and :BEER :RoCkIn :dude :AOK .....

That about sums it up.

16. tjs

tjs Senior Member

What? What? Inquiring minds want to know!!!:FM ;)

17. tjs

tjs Senior Member

What value pots do you have in that thing?

This has me a bit concerned. The JB I have in there now is already way too bright. Anybody else experience this problem with the Fillmore bridge pickup?

18. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

Yes, I just put the Fillmore bridge pickup in my Ibanez RG 2020 and it's way bright. I spoke with Jim Wagner about it and he thinks it's just the trashy volume pot in the Ibanez and suggested I contact Roy at RS and get a good pot. He also suggested that some guys have gotten great results using a 300k pot instead of a 500k. So I think I'm gonna hunt down a 300k CTS pot for it as I haven't heard back from Roy at RS yet.

19. papersoul

papersoul Member

In my Les Paul....a 300k pot worked much better with the Fillmore!

20. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Anybody ever try a Goodwood bridge with a Fillmore neck? That seems like it would allow for a good variety of tones, although the voicings might be too dissimilar to switch from one pickup to the other without having to adjust amp settings.

What do you guys think?