• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What Weber 8" (8ohm) alnico w/ WGS G8C?

stephenT

Anticipating a new Goodsell build from Richard, a prototype w/ 2x8s, It'll be a 17-19 watt single end amp w/ one 6550 power tube (or a KT66) w/ a 0B3 gas voltage regulator (w/ purple glow) and SS rectifier to get all the power available.

I'm thinking of an alnico to pair w/ the ceramic WGS G8C and it looks like Weber is a good choice, but there's a few available, no idea which might be a good match. Any suggestions are appreciated.

mwhy

Silver Supporting Member
That will be a fun cab! I've used two WGS 8's and also two Jupiter 8's, but haven't tried pairing with an alnico. Let us know the results!

Snottyboy

Easiest answer, but most expensive option is the 8a125. I've been through many, many 8's in Champs/VCs and that's the alnico speaker for me. As @ChampReverb mentioned above, the alnico Blue Pup is also solid. Have not tried the WGS G8C, so don't know its characteristics and what you might be looking for in terms of balance?

stephenT

Dean! I'm so glad to hear that, I am a huge WGS fan. the Black and Blue is fantastic, thought it was way better than the competition. I'm holding off on the Weber, maybe Richard could bring one back w/ him(!)

I’m on my way to NAMM right now with 2 different 8” alnico prototypes that we will be releasing soon. Not knocking the Weber at all and it is actually available.
Dean

Last edited:

spkrbldr

I’m suppose to see him out here Thursday but for now there are only 2 of the 8” period. Magnets should be in any time though....

MHG

I have the G12C, G12C/S and G12A, and I absolutely love them! The G12A Alnico is amazing!.........so good that I can't wait to try the G10A! I've been hoping that WGS would make an 8" Alnico for quite some time, so I'm very excited about these! Now I need to find someone that makes a nice Pine 4x8" cab!!!

Trending Topics