What were you doing at the age of 16?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by LadOfEastPoland, May 11, 2015.

1. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Title says it all.
    Did you hang out with chicks? What music did you listen to? Tell me about it! What guitars were you playing? How were you doing in school? Maybe post some pics?
    I am 16 right now myself. I listen to British Blues. I love Jazz, Country and Western Swing, too. I love women/girls, but rarelyy ever hang out with them by myself, most of them listen to what I consider terribad music. There is one girl that I know who has it all: is pretty, plays guitar (Pelham Blue Gibson Les Paul) and listens to great music (Southern Rock). I am a pretty good student, rather smart and bright (that is what they say), but lazy. Do not have any usable pics around... Whatever. Tell me!
    Let's have some fun & laughs!
    Cheers!

2. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

In high school chasing girls, partying and playing the bass.

Good times were to be had in the 80s.

3. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Going to school, playing guitar/bass.
    Listening to Joe Walsh, BloodRock, James Gang, Allmans, Guess Who,
    Uriah Heep, Queen, Steely Dan, Eagles.

Life wasnt too bad.

S.
    j

4. sanrico

sanrico Member

I was about as misguided and unfocused as you are. Congratulations. You're right on track.

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

In high school, chasing girls, playing football, running track, playing water polo, getting really good grades and playing lead guitar on the best rock band at our high school, which had over 3000 kids in it...we'd always win those stupid Battle of the Bands things and play at the biggest parties...

6. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

Chasing girls... extremely unsuccesfully, unfortunately... :bonk

7. taez555

taez555 Member

Watching reruns of the Simpsons & Married with Children in my basement, while playing guitar and recording songs on my 4 track.

8. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I was a total motorhead. Street racing with friends, tuning and tweeking on the car, riding motorcycles, working at a gas station and for my Grandpa who was a mechanic. The girls I dated weren't too keen on handing me wrenches, grinding valves or tuning the secondaries on a four barrel carb, :waiting but I would discover them later. School was just this thing in the way of screwing around with cars.

9. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

10. claudel

claudel Member

Lots of things that I wasn't supposed to be doing...

11. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

I was working at a local grocery store in the summer. I was into tones of guitar music but couldn't play a lick. I was heavy into the basketball and baseball at the time. Hair metal was in full swing and girls were on my radar and I was doing my best to act like I knew what I was doing.

I wanted a Les Paul real bad but I couldn't afford one. I was able to score a warmoth strat with a floyd rose for a good price from a local guitar player. I had that and a peavey bandit to get me started on my guitar playing adventure.

12. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

I was busy being a depressed loser. My teenage years were some of the worst of my life.

13. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

It was a great year for me. I was sort of on the outs with the steady GF, as she was very chapped about my wanting to become an exchange student and missing her junior prom. I was making $7/hr at Wendy's and saving up for the trip. Host family in Germany sent me a letter, their son was a budding guitar player and asked if I had ever heard of VH. I brought my guitar with me to Germany and, as soon as I got there, their three week-long spring break started. One of my host's friends' folks were out of town and we pretty much took over his house for weeks. Endless beer and all the local musicians came over to jam. That was such an awesome trip and I went to my 20th reunion at that school a few years ago (and caught a Rush concert in Frankfurt).

My farewell party.
    [​IMG]

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

In school, playing guitar, playing football, working part time learning about sex. Wondering what the hell I was going to do next.

15. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Smokin pot and practicing classical guitar about 4-5 hours a day. I had a few girlfriends but mostly I couldn't wait to get out of high school and go to North Texas.

16. tcdrover

tcdrover Member

it was 1982, I was a sophomore in an all boy Catholic HS.

I had an aria pro, which was a cheap SG copy. This was right before I bought my old 72 strat.

I was fixated on German philosophy and horticulture. ;)

I worked summers, and spent all my spare time looking for girls and doing a specific 6 finger exercise with packs of Zig Zags... :Devil

This was about the time when I switched from being outdoors all the time to doing indoor stuff all the time. Practicing guitar, reading & listening to music among other things...

17. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

In school, playing hockey, lifting weights, playing guitar, doing farm work all summer for $$ to spend during the school year. Drinking way too much, dating a girl at another high school, had my license, bought my first car, and drive ins were still big as well as "Pecker's Point" (a local spot on the water with romantic views).

It was a pretty damn good time in life.

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

My most crucial awakening was living in Germany late '66-67, age 13-14.
    When I returned to Northern VA, it was quite a culture shock.

It was like Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton doing a guest appearance on Ozzie & Harriet culturally.

By age 16, quite competent on bass, going to school, working, 1st car, lots of girlfriends, every major concert in town.
    I was no angel, far from it, but generally stayed out of trouble.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  19. grapeshot

grapeshot Member

I saw Beetlejuice on my 16th birthday. That's all I remember.

20. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

Doing drugs.

Playing guitar.

Beating off.