What will I gain by swapping out STOCK pups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fixxxer, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Hey guys

I have some guitars that I am consdering taking out the PUPS of and installing some of these boutique ones. They are all Humbucker guitars and have the following:

57 classics
    Burstbucker 1 (neck) Burstbucker 2 (bridge)
    Burstbucker Pro's

I am not looking to do a whole scale change, but after reading so much about the WCR pups and what they do, I had to get a set if the Darkbursts and give them a whirl.

At the end of the day, when using an overdriven type of amp, what does one gain / lose in the process.

CAn you really feel / hear an improvement over what you have or is it all snake oils?

I will be swapping a set out next week, and writing a review from the perspective of someone that is trying it for the first time, to help other first time pick up swappers.

Any and all input on what to expect is appreciated. (I have read the darkburst thread but looking for more specifics.) Admittantly this is my first post in this section, as I usually troll in the Pedals and effects section.

2. c_mac

c_mac Member

I hear what you are saying. I have always believed that people make way too big a fuss over stuff like this. Granted, a humbucker out of a Wal-Mart First Act guitar is going to blow but once you get up into the high-end pickup market the differences are not going to be extremely drastic.

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I'm sure there's a difference, will it be worth the $$$ and trouble.. only if you like the difference and can tell. IMO no. YMMV

4. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I am basically looking for better articulation and defnition into what I am playing.

The pup in the guitar I am swapping them out for, are a little messy into the high gain amp that I have, and essentially sounds like mud. I don't really have issues with my burstbuckers, or worsebucker as some refer to them, but essentially,.....

I'd like to understand what all the hype is about in swapping out and like to know what you guys experienced in the swap.

Old man Tele,.... do any of us really know what we are seeking.... =)

5. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I can only speak for myself in terms of tonal improvements. As a long time pup swapper, I pretty much know what I want to hear from a set of pickups and what type will best match the guitar.

With the incredible amount of information and various resoursces out there, if one does their homework, you can pretty much sail past the hyperbole and nail down what you are after.

Are there disappointments? Sure...bound to happen. But when you find the right pickup match for your guitar, it's ( as Martha says ) a good thing.

As stated, only you can decide if the change is worth it. Some feel it isn't...others feel it's essential. I do wish you good luck in your endevour though. Hope it works out very well for you.

6. Guitarist

Guitarist Member

Beyond a certain point, it obviously becomes ridiculous. But lots of folks enjoy the everlasting hunt and well, honestly, have too much $$ to burn. I, myself, am trying to break away from this habit.

You'll be pleased, though. Replacement pickups can do wonders.

7. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

May I suggest one other little thing.. try adjusting your pickup height if you haven't already. Take real low to real high and play 'em in all the different heights along the way..leave 'em in each position for 1/2 hour and see how you like the tone..worth a try..good luck!

8. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

This is a VERY intelligent statement. I kept swapping out pickups to the point it became a joke with the guitar tech I took my guitar to. Not worth it, very expensive, and a gamble when you put in one's that you don't like.

9. JoeYello

JoeYello Member