What will KT-66's get me in my Lead 55?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jw71, Jan 24, 2006.

1. jw71

jw71 Member

Been thinking of different options to change the character of my Germino Lead 55. I'm not looking for a specific tone, just some occasional versatility. I'm too poor right now to consider another amp.:p Been wondering what the change from EL-34's to KT-66's would get me in this amp soundwise? Has anybody out there tried it? I plan on e-mailing Greg, but I thought I would ask here also for some other possible viewpoints or experiences.

Also, any other suggestions for some changes that I haven't considered or don't know about in this amp?

Thanks,
    John.

:JAM

2. samtheman

samtheman Member

Wanna know too :BEER

3. amper

amper Member

Chicks. KT66's get you chicks.:)

I just picked up a matched quad of GT #5 KT66HP's out of the clearance bin at one of the local GC's for $45. I've got another set of #5's in my F-50, and two pairs of #6's standing by. I also got a pair of #9's to try out in my Univalve, but they only work on Lo-V. On Hi-V, they start glowing red within a minute. All of these tubes were picked out of clearance bins at local GC's, usually for about $25/pair.

I think I'll give the quad to our other guitarist for his 50/50.

4. amper

amper Member

Oh, bias is different for KT66's than it is for EL-34's. You can usually swap 6L6's for KT66's, but swapping the 66's in place of the 34's will definitely require a bias adjustment unless your amp is self-biasing.

5. samtheman

samtheman Member

"You can use 6V6's, KT-66's, 5881's, 7581's even 6550's or KT-88's if you wish. All would require the bias being set for the particular tubes being used. Greg G" (LoVo55)

cheers

sam

6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

So it can use 6V6,s on my LoVo 55 with a bias?

7. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

Yes. If you do a search, a while back KLB did a very thorough discussion of rectifier and power tube variations for the LoVo 55 (and Lead 55, which of course has no rectifier options and shouldn't be used with 6V6). Going from EL34 to KT66 (especially, but in all cases) make sure you rebias or you may fry the new tubes (and it'll probably sound bad). At the end of the day though, my favorite in my newly acquired LoVo55 is still EL34s with the stock rectifier tube, and EL34s are also favorites with my regular Lead55. Fun to play around though! -Guy

8. samtheman

samtheman Member

Hmmmm, 6550´s with LoVo 55 :)

maybe I try.....

9. jw71

jw71 Member

Thanks for the replies guys, however, I am aware of the bias adjustments. I guess I am looking for a sound description more than anything else.

More clarity?
    More or less bass?
    Etc., etc., etc.

Thanks again. :dude

10. amper

amper Member

Oh, sound. Well, I'm not the biggest fan of EL34's, so I couldn't really accurately judge the difference. That said, KT66's sound like a more hi-fi version of 6L6's (the standard description). The sound is more open and focused than 6L6's. Hope that helps.

11. jw71

jw71 Member

Well, that's good for starters!!:BEER

Thanks, amper!

Anybody else?

:D

12. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

What are the main tonal differences you find between the LoVo and regular Lead 55??

Is there any significant volume (point of distortion) differences?