1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What wiring/pickups for a cheap bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by maddnotez, Feb 11, 2019.

1. maddnotez

maddnotez Member

I probably should have just got a nice Bass but I only play bass for home recording purposes and I decided to get something cheap.

I ended up with a Sterling SUB Stingray.

The Bass actually plays really nice but now I feel if I upgraded the pickups and wiring it would sound much better, I am just not sure where to begin.

How are the pots on this? How is the wiring? Should I just get new pickups or completely gut the internals? I know nothing about Bass gear. I play primarily modern metal and typically use a Sansamp to record with.

2. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The electronics on the SUB are great for general use. These $300 basses capture about 90% of the signature tone of the Stingray. A real bang for the buck.
    That said, any upgrade that would be worth doing would run in the neighborhood of $100-200 for the preamp and around $100 for the pickup (new).
    However, replacing electronics can be a deep dive down the rabbit hole, unless you just jump with a Delano/Nordstrand/Aguilar PU and John East MMSR pre. However, you will spend about $300 to do this and the bass might sound only a little better. If you still don't like the tone, well...

Something to consider is the signature Stingray tone: it's distinctive. With the treble and bass controls, it's also very versatile for a 1 pickup instrument. Perhaps it's the Stingray sound you don't like? Perhaps the sound you like may be a different style of bass, like a P or J or P/J or Ric..?

Plus, Sansamp stuff is really killer. I can't imagine not getting a good Stingray tone from a Sansamp and SUB.