What would a Guitar Center bankruptcy do to the music retail business?

DustyRhodesJr

Silver Supporting Member
At this point the small shops are not going to come back completely,
GC or no GC.

Best Buy or Sam Ash or Sweetwater will then step up and fill most
of the void left by GC. The rest would be filled by internet vendors
such as Amazon and Ebay.

scottywompas

In related news: I used to work across the parking lot (literally) from the GC offices when they were in Agoura Hills, CA and my former company took over their building when they vacated.
The place was run like a third-world-country complex with so many people crammed into tiny little cubicles and it gave me a different (negative) perspective on the franchise than what I got from just walking into any of their stores.
Guitar Dave, sorry to burst your bubble and call ******** but I worked in the Clareton drive offices. The company was not run like a 3rd world country. The company grew faster than it could acquire proper office space for. You can't just up an leave when you have a lease. The only option was to try to lease other units in the surrounding buildings as they became available.

At this point the small shops are not going to come back completely,
GC or no GC.

Best Buy or Sam Ash or Sweetwater will then step up and fill most
of the void left by GC. The rest would be filled by internet vendors
such as Amazon and Ebay.
I've only been in about 12 of the Best Buy locations with the full line of musical instruments, and to me, it is a poor substitute for what you'll find in most GCs. The guitars are displayed so that fewer are within reach, and there's quite often males in there "killing time" while their wives and girlfriends are shopping in the other portion of the store. They're even more prone IMO to making noise as opposed to music than is the usual GC customer. Encountered more instruments at BB that were fundamentally unplayable out of the box than I've ever found at GC. I give my word, I never planned it like this but I've ended up buying scores of guitars at GC (and at least 20 at Sam Ash) but I still haven't spent more than $ 15 in the musical instruments section of Best Buy. They IMO are NOT ready to step into the void should Guitar Center go the way of Circuit City or Borders.

I often simply forget there's a Best Buy with a musical instruments section less than 4 miles from where I type this. We think of GCs as just inventory where we hold our noses, run in and buy and get out at once but in fairness, I can IMO get a sense of what a guitar is capable of there, which I just can't duplicate at a BB.

V-Type

Went with a bud too GC last night.
He needed a sub $400 Bass head and we walked out with a new Ampeg PF500 with 3 year pro plan.
Now as much as I slagged on GC at times their insurance plans are a great deal. especially those whom know they will use their stuff hard,accident prone or just want the xtra "blanket".
side note: The guitar Wall was 40% Epiphone at grab level and the Gibsons now are 14 feet off the ground.
The bass room has little too no advertised brands and was looking kinda empty and then you have 3 greeting at the door.
Odd model at this particular GC.

whitehall

They would just be bought by someone else and continue with a name change. Some of the unprofitable stores would be closed. The M&Ps will never come back. Just like M&P video stores of a bygone era. Even with no GC at all there will always be giant online places and ebay. Many forum people live in the middle of nowhere and have never set foot in a music store.

Space Hammer

What would happen in Guitar Center went bust?

Will keep you in the loop - the Australian equivalent Allan's Music / Billy Hyde has just gone under.

spakuloid

We should all be happy to have GC. They're not perfect - but they are part of our culture as musicians. It will be a sad day if Bain sucks them dry.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
i don't know what's gonna happen really , but i do know that i don't care.
i'm kinda glad they're going out of business.
Hopefully this will help put more business into where it belongs , the independent builders...the ones who care more about what they're building and selling.
Your kinda glad they're going out of business ? Tell that to the employes that would lose their jobs.

I've had some great experiences with Guitar Center. I've gotten to know some of the guys at my local center, they've been super helpful and honest. I've also bought a ton of stuff used at amazing prices from all over the country. Their low cost shipping and 30-day, full refund guarantee gets them a lot of my business.

And I've had some not-so-great experiences at smaller shops. I've been snubbed at Haight-Ashbury Music, one time I asked for guitar wiring and it took two clerks scratching their heads before I got to talk to their repair guy.

I try to shop small--there are some great shops in San Francisco that I've patronized, or at least checked out and bought some strings and picks and such. But if GC has something I want at a price I can afford, and gives me good service along the way, you can bet that's where I'll shop too.

dropdee

What's the hate towards GC? Sure it's a mega guitar store, but it is still a great private business that employs thousands of people, can't be happy with even more jobs lost. There no GC in Hawaii so I shouldn't care but I do. I bought my son's first guitar at the Algonquin IL GC store. It was my first time ever at a GC and I was in complete awe. Seeing my son so excited was awesome too. Sure the CS wasn't the greatest, but I went there during last year's holiday season so it was complete madness there.

Here he is falling in love at GC with the guitar he always wanted. It ended up under the Christmas tree. There are countless stories like that from that evil capitalistic mega store.

jdalf

I'd miss em here, overall had a good experience there and have gotten some great used gear a prices I was very happy with

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
If they go under, I just might move to a slightly larger town and open a small shop. It'll be a great time to do that, don'tcha think?

As much fun as a GC bashing is...I truly hope they dont go under...

If I were king, they would shrink down, make a little room for more mom/pop shops, but still be around...

joemilitello

Airlines go bankrupt every few years. They are still flights in and out of Bozeman every day.

From what I saw of Fender's failed IPO material, they probably need to file Chapter 11 and get their financial house in order as well.

If they went under it would bum me out. There's one about a city block away from my day gig and I go over there on lunch just about every day to check out the wares.

dropdee

If this picture isn't the best GC advertisement ever I don't know what is! :D
I wish I took video instead. He was having a ball. He first wanted a real Flying V but I couldn't find a epi one, and the Gibson was out of the question. He then spotted that Jackson and plugged it in.
He even looks like Mustaine. :dude
Haha he gets that a lot. And now he has a quicksilver Jackson KV just like Mustaine in the 90's!

That guitar in particular was a FSR for GC last year. Check out the inlays, not the typical shark fins.

andrekp

MODs, can we PLEASE have a moratorium on the constant mentions of Bain Capital on this board. It is blatantly political in nature because we all know that it is code for something else that we CAN'T talk about (with the extra proof that Bain is but one firm of many, but is the only one mentioned).

Trending Topics