What would a TGP'er do??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ecbluesman54, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

First off I should say I am a Les Paul guy through and through. It's by far my favorite guitar in every way. I have a R8 that is my #1 that I love. Second favorite guitar is a 55 CS Tele. The rest of the guitars get minimal playtime.

My question that I am wrestling with is should I trade a couple of guitars towards the purchase of a R9 LP. The guitars in question are a 52 thin skin Tele w/ bigsby, and neck humbucker, Gibson CS-336, and a PRS Mira. I like all these guitars, but again I am not sure I play them enough to keep them. The R9 LP has always been a holy grail kind of guitar in my mind.

Its kind of a silly "dilemma" I know, but just curious what some thoughts are.

(all guitars are in my signature below)

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Can you play the R9 first? That would be key for me, although I must admit I've done a lot of trades sight unseen.

Are you looking to trade all 3 guitars for the R9? If so, I'd say don't do it.

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

You know I bought my R8 sight unseen, and it is great for me. I am sure if I had a R9 in front of me that was just one of the greatest LP's i've ever played it would be an easier choice. I would be looking to trade all 3 towards it.
    I really like the Tele, and the CS-336, but actually the Mira is a great guitar as well. I had one before this, and I like this one better. I think I may be leaning towards not looking to do the deal.

4. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Bluesman funny you should mention this it sounds like were on the same wave length:crazy I also have a R8 that I bought sight unseen and it is the one that I play the most. She plays like butta and is one of the chambered flame tops. I to have always wanted a nice R9 but have never had one and also think that it would just be the cats meow. I always thought the R9's neck was a bit slimmer than the R8's but recently I was told this is not true?? The reason I say this is sometimes me and the R8 neck don't get along and other days it feels awesome, so I thought the R9 would be the way to go. I also have a CS356 that I just love but she would have to go as well towards the R9. I thought long and hard and I think i would not do the deal(today anyways;) ) both guitars are just to nice. If it flames that you are after I would say sell the R8 save a little jing and buy a used CR8. Hope it works out for ya!!!

Ryan

5. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Jeeze, you're thinking of getting rid of the 52 thin skin Tele?

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

A repulsive thought! :puh

7. Colt

Colt Member

I say, do it. You dont' play the others, and you would still have your '55 CS tele....so, why not? I would.

8. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

I think the proper TGP thing to do would be to trade off the guitars for about a half dozen other guitars in quick sequence (just to try "whats out there") before finally settling on the R9 that you should've got in the first place.

Don't forget a few amps and pedals as well.:roll

Guilty of that myself......

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

You're telling me you have one of these with a Bigsby on it, and you want to dump it? Cool those jets!

[​IMG]

10. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Has anybody told you a R-9 won't sound any different that an R-8.....? You're paying for a flame top.

11. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Yes, you'll be paying extra for the flame top ...

so I'd do my best to play before you pay ...

That said if you buy used sight unseen you shouldn't lose much money if you decide you still like the R8 better a year or so from now,

These guys seem to be able to find great examples of used R9s regularly -

http://www.marksguitarloft.com/

:knitting

12. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

One of my issues is that I am not sure a R9 would become anything more than a #2 guitar behind the R8. I love the R8 that much. Of course everything I currently own is also a #2 behind my R8. Part of my reasoning behind this thought is the fact that I feel like I have too many nice guitars that aren't getting any play time, and that has always bothered me, and also I am the type of person that would prefer quality over quantity. As a LP player/lover I would think that the next logical choice for me is a R9. That said I also really dig the R7's as well.
    Maybe I should just focus more on my playing...
    I guess I am just confused...
    I hate gear......
    Here's a pic of the 52 Tele thin skin.

[​IMG]

13. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

sell it all, get ready for the 50th anny 59' R9. Oh, and get on the want list with a dealer.

14. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

That is one handsome Tele!

Is the hardware gold? It looks gold...

15. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

The heart wants what the heart wants. My question is how damn expensive is an R9??? You've got some sweet guitars, 3 that you have to sell to purchase ONE R9?
    Anyway, if the LP speaks to you and the Tele's sit on the wall DO IT! Life is too short. You'll be able to flip it if need be and at least recoup something. Like someone said to me in the past, it's only gear...
    :dude
    :cry:
    :knitting
    :AOK

16. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

That will be something to see ....

Lots of hints at the Les Paul forum of wonderful things to come, but no solid information.

Probably too much for me, though.

:banana

17. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Get the R9 is what I'd say.
    You already are saying those other ones get minimal playing time, who knows where the R9 will take you.
    If it becomes just another #3 nothing lost imho

18. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

keep the 336 since it offers umbuckers, but with a hollowbody twist. Sell the other 2. The Mira gets humbucker sound and is a mahogany guitar already. the Tele is the opporosite of a LP, and you LOVE the LP tone.

It sounds like your head and heart are set on the R9. Personally, I have an R8 with a flame that is R9 quality on it, and I did get to "save" some dough on it compared to the R9.

19. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

A tele and a kick ass humbucker guitar? The rest is just icing on the cake...