What would be a good clean/neutral amp to run in stereo w/ Rivera?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nrvana8775, Feb 12, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I have a Rivera Knucklehead 100 with a bogner-esque 2x12. I am micing my rivera, running that into a preamp, and using my laptop as a live looper (gibson echoplex style). I was looking for a good small/medium sized tube combo amp that I can use to run the looped sound and other sounds that I create with my laptop. I would like the amp to be as neutral as possible, and replicate my original tones well. I prefer the warmth / dynamics of tube, so essentially a neutral sounding, tube combo amp.

2. bynt

bynt Member

Man it would be a lot of firepower to haul but believe it or not the first thing that jumped in my head was a Twin. But that's SO much to carry around by itself, not to mention with other stuff to boot. Bet it would work though.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

If you can afford it, the clean channel of a Two Rock Jet is pretty neutral, and amazing at the same time...only 35 watts though

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Negative on that kind of income. I'm thinking $400 or less, used. I would like it to be reliable and well built though. I could get away with a power amp and speaker cab, but I'd rather have a smaller tube amp. If I were going to buy, and if I could ever afford a two rock it would be my main amp, not a backup :p. The twin sounds like a good idea, but too much for a second amp.

5. bynt

bynt Member

Oooooh, you know what might just fit the bill? A Boogie Blue Angel. Any Boogie, really. They're built like tanks and some of them (models) are in the "Greatest Misses" category for a lot of folks (see also: cheaper). I've played one and it was just super clean. You might be able to find something like that more in your price range. You can also look for Sovteks for that kind of money. Those things are tanks and relatively cheap, too.

6. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I wasn't aware that Sovtek made combo amps.

I think I might stay away from Boogies, they have some tonal characteristics that don't seem to fit the neutral bill that I am needing. I am almost looking for a monitor of some sort, but I really want to run through a tube circuit, and then out to the speakers. I think I might end up with a fender of some sort.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Anyone think a music man might be a good choice?

8. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

9. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Back for new opinions.

10. neil99

neil99 Member

How bout a Bassman RI, clean loud and fairly cheap used.

11. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I think I would spend as much as $600, but it would be silly to have my stereo/backup amp be more expensive than my main amp.

12. pgissi

pgissi Member

To accomplish neutrality, which I am interpreting as I want to preserve the original tone, use the Rivera's Line Out which is post Output Stage into the laptop into a Power Amp, into a cab

If you run a mic'ed guitar cab into the laptop then into a tube amp, thats gonna sound like mush

Your already removing so much signal by deriving your second tone with the mic and out of the laptop it will be line level

This is what a power amp wants to see and you could also run cab simulation for this "wet" signal if you must derive the wet mix from the mic and not the Riveras Line Out

Besides being far more neutral than using a tube amp for this application, your back will thank you since your not hauling another amp

13. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I run the mic through a preamp and into the laptop, not straight into it...don't know if that makes a difference. You are suggesting that I run the line out into the preamp, into the laptop, and then where? I cannot send the looped signal back to the Rivera because the loop will be messed with depending on if I am using clean or not. I.e., loop 1 is clean, but I want to use distortion on loop 2, if I send loop 1 to the Rivera, it has to be distorted as well.

I would like a second amp for stereo purposes. I could run the line out of the rivera into one channel, and send my software synths into the other. It's looking more and more like a fender or musicman combo is the best bet.

14. pgissi

pgissi Member

I
    I am first suggesting you derive this basic tone which you will then wettern by processing a signal through your laptop, from the Line Out jack on the Rivera which can be sent to the laptop using a usb interface like the Roland Edirol.

On a Rivera Line Out is post Power Section of the amp and yes you will not be able to create 2 different signals, one clean and the other dirty with this method or even using the mic fed method since its going to be distorted from the speaker anyway.

To get truly dedicated clean and dirty tones which are affected individually you need to split your signal before the amp and OD pedals, if thats your real concern.

Split the signal early on while eliminating any mic response anomalies unless this is striclty for studio. Using a mic like this live will have it hearing all sorts of stage noise you may not want.

Bottom line is that I am suggesting using a power amp and cabinet for the second amp instead of a combo if your looking for a striclty wet mix that is more wet signal friendly, minimal tweaking at the amp, maybe even full range response with the proper cab

This would benefit any software synth based tones derived in a latop and some ambient/electronica artists prefer solid state power amp/cab setup in full range for their wet tones

You could do this-

Create a signal send using the low gain input jack on the rivera as an output (like jimi used to do when patching multiple amps). Now since this is a high impedance and inherently weak signal, you cant send this directly to a laptop without going through a booster or eq pedal which will do some buffering and output a low impedance signal to feed the laptops usb interface, like I said, the Roland Edirol could work here and its a measley 80 bucks.

From there you output the laptops wet signal to a power amp/cab setup, possibly a full range cabinet.

My main reasoning for the power amp/cab setup is really due to simplicity and less tube amp eq or speaker/amp anomalies to "get in the way" in this all wet signal.

My hunch is that using a laptop to derive special fx would be better to a power amp and full range speaker as it is in a studio setting

The FX will be more enhanced this way whereas using another tube combo, with its limited freq response to 6k, is gonna leave some signal info out that the laptop derived fx can deliver, defeating your unique configuration.

You could even use a powered full range pa cabinet, one box and big leather handle

15. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Member

pgissi's suggestion of using the post-power section out (if it has speaker sim) -> processing -> full range reproduction (self contained like a Mackie or JBL) will probably lean heavily on the tonality of the speaker sim out.

Instead of using the post-power out, and using a mic, you would have a dry/wet situation used by a lot of folks like Carlton or E. Johnson. Both methods could prove useful for soft synths and the like as pgissi suggests.

I do something similar, but use a dedicated combo for the out (Rambler, outside of your financial goal), but like the way the different amp creates a different vibe. I split the signal after the pedals (processed amp distortion from pedals or VST distortion mangling).

Regardless, consider a used slave amp from folks like Groove Tubes, Tech 21, or go for a little coloring from a general purpose amp like a reissue deluxe or other Fender type. I would say even the right solid state amp would be suitable enough depending on how divergent from the dry amp you are willing to get. Of course, this all depends on the type of output from your loop.

Also, my interface allows for two seperate stereo output pairs, so one is dedicated to go into the Rambler with all of it's tonal qualities, and the other goes straight to house. Another way to run things\

what are you doing with the laptop? it's great to see, and an undervalued method for guitarists

best
    joe

16. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member